PlayStation 5: Thread 04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PlayStation 5: Thread 04

If true it's safe to assume a wider ratio exists between PC owners and Xbox owners as well highlighting how PC software releases for the console makers is probably an overdue shift if anything and why Sony is also moving in on the space now.

It also appears that Sackboy: A Big Adventure is headed to PC at some point with a steam entry having been created that lists the games branches and executable names.

Meanwhile word is that despite some talk about it not being the case, PSVR2 will be backward compatible with PSVR1 software

PC master race init!?
    If you own a good spec pc you won't want to play on a crummy console.

Comment

Sony are treading dangerous ground here. They should be doubling down and trying to get pc gamers to buy consoles, not putting games on pc. The profit for them is in selling consoles and games for that console. It will only work if there’s a big enough gap, 4-5 years between console & pc release, so as not to bastardise console sales.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
        Sony are treading dangerous ground here. They should be doubling down and trying to get pc gamers to buy consoles, not putting games on pc. The profit for them is in selling consoles and games for that console. It will only work if there’s a big enough gap, 4-5 years between console & pc release, so as not to bastardise console sales.
        I can't see how selling software to a far larger audience without needing any form of hardware attachment is dangerous ground? Particularly when it's software that's already run it course on console and you're asking for more money to buy it on PC...

It offers choice, widens the appreciation lf your overall brand and your key software franchises and brings new players in.

Players who first experience your games on PC may yet still go on to buy a console later.

Its increasing revenue for Sony to make more great games. There isn't any real dangerous downside to this.

Comment

After a certain period of time has passed yes, but never day and date, that will only bastardise their console business.

Comment

I think it's smart of Sony.
            Release your 'older' titles on PC to drag in more cash, but also flirt the newest games and console to PC players too.
            Its better then MS approach to just releasing everything on PC at the same time.

At the moment pc and consoles are close contenders. PC owners will likely pick up a new console for now, but once the next wave of graphics cards are released the ps5s will find themselves in CEX for money to upgrade the pc.
            If you give pc owners a reason to buy or keep the console, then you are on to a winner.

Comment

That remains to be seen. Agree that it changes the current model a bit too far but I can actually see that happening just through competition.

They make far more profit through software than hardware with less overheads (i.e. shipping, repairs, parts etc...) software is a far less complex product to distribute with higher profit margins.

I think we will end up seeing some PS5 titles reach PC in shorter timescales (6 months?) but the bigger marquee titles still being a year or more.

Comment

Presumably it's all going to be sales led which is why we're hearing about Sackboy and not Ghost of Tsushima etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post

Its better then MS approach to just releasing everything on PC at the same time.
                  I mean it is if you look at it from the perspective of increasing revenue off old titles but it isn't as fair to the consumer if they are PC based.

This is new ground for Sony so there isn't any rules to adhere to but they are going to come up against a perception that making PC owners wait years for major releases is unfair when similar offerings from other companies don't share the same lead time.

Really the only difference is both companies have acknowledged the value of being in the PC market... Microsoft have decided they'll treat them equally, and Sony have decided they won't.

Neither approach is wrong, but I can see perception potentially damaging Sony a little. Not that they would care...?

As I said above I think the best middle ground is Sony will shorten that lead time a lot, but it'll always be "play it first on PS5"...

Comment

I guess all of these games are going to be 'optimised' for lolAMD. Therefore nothing to get worried/excited about, really.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                      I guess all of these games are going to be 'optimised' for lolAMD. Therefore nothing to get worried/excited about, really.
                      Pfffffft, year who wants to play Sony games.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                        After a certain period of time has passed yes, but never day and date, that will only bastardise their console business.
                        Nonsense - PC Master Race doesn't want to touch consoles and console fanboys don't want to spend a thousand pounds on just a graphics card.

Sony aren't basterdising their console business they're expanding their gaming audience - and given Sony are doing it, presumably they believe the same because they like money as it laid out in its Investor Relations Day presentation back in May: https://t.co/rotYHhFsvn?amp=1
                        Last edited by MartyG; 29-10-2021, 12:36.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                          Nonsense - PC Master Race doesn't want to touch consoles and console fanboys don't want to spend a thousand pounds on just a graphics card.

Sony aren't basterdising their console business they're expanding their gaming audience - and given Sony are doing it, presumably they believe the same.
                          There's a reason Nintendo are swimming in cash, you can only play on their games on their platform where they earn maximum profits, by switching to a stance of day and date would be absolutely detrimental to Sony bottom line long term. Releasing stuff 4-5 years down the line, year you may get extra sales from the hard core that will just outright slit their throats before buying a console.

Comment

Probably just as well it's Sony making the business decisions I suppose

Comment

Year what do i know Marty

Comment

Working...
                              X