Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    Aren't they the same as the NES game?

I ask that because I know the Amiga version was essentially the same (though probably a lot worse).
    indeed they are, but who wouldn't want the unfinishable c64 version or they fantastic colours of the speccy one (the one i had)

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      We couldn't face the disk swapping again, so that is the end of my time with TMHT on the Amiga. The End.
      My main memory of it, weirdly, was the copy-protection. It used the style where you had 2 pages with hundreds of 6-digit codes, printed on crimson paper in a slightly darker red, so you couldn't easily scan or photocopy them.

That, and the underwater level.

EDIT: Oh! One more thing I do remember. So the game gave you 4 lives, as each turtle would play until you died. But the manual said that you might "find" one of the dead turtles in the world, kidnapped by Shredder, and free him to get that "life" back. But in all the time I played the Amiga version, I never found one. Curious to know, was this just bull**** or did the NES version do this?

Comment

Yes, but only in some levels. IIRC the last one where you could find turtles was the cave before the Technodrome.

I remember getting the game on the same day as the NES, and the excitement when my parents gave it to me, actually after getting the NES Action Pack.
        And then...frustration. Pretty much what the AVGN goes through in his videos.
        Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 10-03-2022, 12:37.

Comment

The street level loaded and I pressed right and went back down the sewer.

Comment

The Fall of the Foot Clan was my first video game and I will always love it. Played it through recently and it's a nice, deliberate game. I'll probably grab this since I used to love the Turtles.

As a kid I was super into Street Fighter 2 and when I saw Tournament Fighters I was blown away. Two things I love in one. I never got to play it as I didn't have much money and when I came to play it as an adult I realised it was definitely not SF2. Cool game though.

Comment

I seem to recall one of the Tournament Fighters games looks and sounds better, but one plays much better - no idea which way around it was.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
                The Fall of the Foot Clan was my first video game and I will always love it. Played it through recently and it's a nice, deliberate game. I'll probably grab this since I used to love the Turtles.
                Same here. Golden memories of GB Turtles as I had the Japanese version which looked amazing. I think for a while I thought it was a Japanese property based on that booklet, the ninjas and being made by Konami. Didn't realise until later it was an American duo that created it.

There's a nice history of the Turtles and their Playmates toyline on the Netflix show "The Toys That Made Us".

It's a fairly primitive game, but I didn't care because it looked and sounded great.
                Those parallax backgrounds looked superb.

I'm also looking forward to the Shredder's Revenge game as that's looking retro, but will hopefully be a bit more deep gameplay-wise. (It's nothing to do with this bundle, though.)

Comment

Fall of the Foot Clan's boxart is so evocative of the original GB era, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                    I don't know if it's true or not, but I read somewhere that the Mode 7 levels in the SNES version of Turtles In Time are property of Nintendo, and I haven't seen them in the trailer.
                    Probably I first read this when Reshelled came out, and due to that they had to remake the arcade version.

Is this true?
                    That sounds really unlikely to me. I've never heard of Mode 7 tech being that proprietary to the point of Nintendo locking it down like that, and it's not like Re-Shelled has anything to do with either Konami or Nintendo. Also, why would Konami go to the trouble of confirming that SNES Turtles In Time will be in Cowabunga Collection only for them to have to cut bits out of it? Doesn't make any sense IMO.

But then again...how Nintendo behaves about stuff like this is anybody's guess these days. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      Fall of the Foot Clan's boxart is so evocative of the original GB era, IMO.

https://bordersdown.net/threads/1268...=1#post2436259
                      I'm sure we've talked about this before, but I prefer the Japanese version that removes the background, but it's still an amazing image that draws you in.

"The cover art for this game actually has an interesting story. Originally set to be the poster art for the first live action movie, it was sketched by co-creator Kevin Eastman. However, in order to differentiate it from the cartoon and comics so that audience would understand this was a live action feature, it was shelved and put in the archives. It was later retooled and used as the art for this game."

Comment

Had zero idea that Eastman inadvertently created one of the P4P most iconic pieces of GB boxart. I always just assumed that Konami's in-house artists did it.

Awesome knowledge drop, QualityChump!
                        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 10-03-2022, 14:16.

Comment

My pleasure, Nude-Eclipse!

Comment

There was a good Retronauts podcast episode about Turtle mania and the games: https://retronauts.com/article/1244/...urtles-in-1989

Comment

I'm sure we've talked about this before, but I prefer the Japanese version that removes the background, but it's still an amazing image that draws you in.

"The cover art for this game actually has an interesting story. Originally set to be the poster art for the first live action movie, it was sketched by co-creator Kevin Eastman. However, in order to differentiate it from the cartoon and comics so that audience would understand this was a live action feature, it was shelved and put in the archives. It was later retooled and used as the art for this game."

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wp-...over-art-3.jpg
                              I just realised that the image of the back of shredder’s head and shoulder gauntlets is probably what Konami used for the mid-game battle with Shredder in the Technodrome, in the Turtles in Time SNES game. The part where you had to throw foot soldiers towards the players’ screen - Mode 7 FTW…

I can’t seem to find a picture of the game, but there is definitely an influence there…

Nice trip down memory lane Chimp… Quality stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                                That sounds really unlikely to me. I've never heard of Mode 7 tech being that proprietary to the point of Nintendo locking it down like that
                                Yeah, admittedly - they've never been defensive of the aesthetic. So, to compare - Square-Enix recently patented the visual look of Octopath Traveller so other devs can't use it - whereas it's not like Nintendo sued Sega for the special zones in Sonic CD.

They might have something about emulating Mode7, like maybe a basic implementation involves using things that they own? But I've never heard of anything like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X