No announcement yet.

Initial D: Arcade Stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got myself down to Namco Station, and finnaly got to play this, is bloody cool as hell...... I just need to go back a play it some more.

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
      Are there any screens available of the PS2 version yet? I'm quite excited about this game.
      Got these screens from the official site at: http://sega.jp/ps2/initiald/ I am assuming these are PS2 screenshots and not arcade screenshots.

Comment

Well, I was walking past my local crappy arcade today, and to my immense suprise they had just gotten a brand new Initial D setup!

Quickly got change, ran in and stuck a tenner into it, pure arcade perfection. I havent felt this way about an arcade racer since Daytona!

I am crap though!!

Comment

Originally posted by wager
          Originally posted by Treble
          Are there any screens available of the PS2 version yet? I'm quite excited about this game.
          Got these screens from the official site at: http://sega.jp/ps2/initiald/ I am assuming these are PS2 screenshots and not arcade screenshots.

I think they look like PS2 screens. The non-game screens (menu etc) I haven't seen in the arcade, and the ingame shots have a portrait of the character in the top right corner which again I don't think is in the arcade (at least not the first version).

I actually manged to beat Tak on Happogahara yesterday in an extremely close race. First place must have changed about 5 or 6 times and my heart was pounding.

However, my subsequent attempts to beat Bunta left me feeling insecure and unworthy. So fast. Anyone beat him yet?

Comment

I am so crap I kept getting beat on the second stange in my Lancer Evo to Iggy.

He kept caning me on that big uphill climb on the second stage (cant remember the name!) Any tips? I tried higher revs to get me up the hill, but he kept zipping past me no matter what I did!

Comment

Originally posted by ThoseOfTheUnlight
              I am so crap I kept getting beat on the second stange in my Lancer Evo to Iggy.

He kept caning me on that big uphill climb on the second stage (cant remember the name!) Any tips? I tried higher revs to get me up the hill, but he kept zipping past me no matter what I did!
              You really need to start drifting into the corners to compete. It seems that the more you drift the faster you go, so if you fly around a few corners without scraping the corners you should build up enough speed to fly away from Iggy. On Myogi, there are no really tight turns so you should only need to use Accel off drifting. When approaching the turn bring your foot off of the accelerator and throw the wheel into the direction of the turn. The back wheels will lose grip and you'll start to drift outwards. Countersteer to prevent spinning out and you should fly out of the corner. It may take a few turns to get the hang of, but it will become quite intuitive. The later courses have some devilishly hard hairpin turns which require brake drifting.

On a seperate note, Saur mentioned in another thread that arcade operators over here aren't hooking the cabs properly so the music doesn't come out of speakers in the seat behind you. Checked Trafford Centre yesterday and, this is the case. After downloading the MP3 for 'Beat of the Rising Sun' today, this track is not done justice in the arcade without the full sound effect.

Comment

Cheers mate, will return to the machine tomorrow with a vengeance and try that out, I knew drifting was essential but I guess I need a lot more practice!

Still an ace game though!

Comment

Also what car are you driving?

I went in blind and chose the RX-7 and later found it was one of the better choices for starting the game with.

I recommend it.

Comment

I'm driving a yellow Lancer Evo VII, is this a good car in relation to the others?

Should I start all over again if so?

Comment

I've not tried the the Evo IV or VII. However, aren't they 4WD which makes drifting with them somewhat harder?

Comment

There's no reason why you can't be good in any of the cars. Some of them can suffer a bit until you upgrade and if you took the B or C path you'll find yourself hitting an upgrade wall later on.

The LanEvo is a funny proposition in that it's 4WD and not having driven it I can't honestly recommend to you how to drive it. You should be able to slide it, but not to the extent you'd be able to drift an FR vehicle.

But most of all it'll be a case of practise, practise practise. Like C' says, you shouldn't find yourself using the brake pedal at all on the easy level against the SpeedStars.

If you've ever seen the anime, you'd know how embarassing losing to Itsuki's Levin is. "I'M EMBARRASED FOR THE BOTH OF US!!!!!!!!"

Even Takeshi's Skyline will be an easy prey once you have a couple of upgrades and just ease off at the hairpin.

Comment

I've been playing absolutely ****-tons of Initial D recently too. I had no idea what car to go for an ended up following the hype about the Skyline GT-R [R34].

Dear God it's GOOOOOOOOOD. Surprisingly I've had no problems with my car, even though my mate told me later that it's one of the hardest ones. It feels a bit heavy, but that's actually how I like it. I completed Myogi earlier today, thankfully. Now the very last guy on the Normal course is giving me problems.

I'm Dach.

Anyway, Arcade Stage 2 is out in the UK in June, and since Ac. Stage 1 has been a massive success over here, Sega're going to push it as hard as possible. This also means... probable PAL Special Stage PS2 release. Wheeeee!

Comment

Originally posted by Dache
                            Anyway, Arcade Stage 2 is out in the UK in June, and since Ac. Stage 1 has been a massive success over here, Sega're going to push it as hard as possible. This also means... probable PAL Special Stage PS2 release. Wheeeee!
                            Awesome news. I've been reading up tons on ver. 2 but didn't know a date had been confirmed. Can't wait.

The game has been a bit of a surprise hit for Sega over here (card systems don't work in the UK? - pah) and that was without any kind of support from Sega whatsoever. Hopefully, a full push can only be a good thing.

Comment

Anyone not convinced as to how much this game rules the arcade racing genre take a look at this video.

Probably, the game's hardest track getting absolutely rinsed by a player who has clearly been playing the game for far too long than is healthy (take a look at his points total at the end of the vid ).

Impressive no?

Comment

Wowee. I just read through this thread, and you guys have actually managed to make me excited about a racing game, which has never happened before.

And to think, I was happy that they brought that horse racing game over. Which ROCKS by the way. But that's off topic.
                                I'll probably head into town tomorrow to check this Initial D thingy out.

Comment

Working...
                                X