XBOX 360, 720p and LCD TVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBOX 360, 720p and LCD TVs

To display 720p signal on an LCD TV what do you need specs-wise? Does the set have to explicitly be HD-TV Ready, or can a set with component connections and 1280x720 resolution do the same job?

I was under the impression that 'HD-Ready' was merely a certification of sorts, basically saying the set supports all the required features that HD needs.

In the future, you'll likely have to have a HDMI connection supporting HDCP to use HD content such as Blu-Ray, but as far as games consoles go, what you say will suffice.

Comment

Ah ok so 1280x720 with component will do it?

That certainly makes things easier, I've found shopping for LCDs a complete nightmare.

Comment

Theres a couple of other threads on this topic on the forum.

The current fav seems to be the new Samsungs.

What size screen are you looking for?

Comment

Well I have limited space so was only lookin for 17"-23"

However I've found a 27" Video Seven on misco.co.uk that I'm considering:
          http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...0%20LCD-TV.htm

But I dunno! I've found the whole thing very confusing. Also looking at this:
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...943787-0706004

Its been a nightmare looking - trying to get 16ms response time, 1280x720 resolution and a component socket all in one unit with a screen size of around 17"-23"!!!! The response time, resolution and component socket are needed for Xbox 360 720p. Watching TV signals in HD doesn't matter to me, as I only watch 3 or 4 shows on TV.

Comment

Dependant on what sort of money you can spend I would have to suggest getting the 26 inch Samsung.

Not to sure what's available in the 17inch to 23inch size thats any good.

Comment

Originally posted by gaz@manc
              Well I have limited space so was only lookin for 17"-23"

However I've found a 27" Video Seven on misco.co.uk that I'm considering:
              http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...0%20LCD-TV.htm

But I dunno! I've found the whole thing very confusing. Also looking at this:
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...943787-0706004

Its been a nightmare looking - trying to get 16ms response time, 1280x720 resolution and a component socket all in one unit with a screen size of around 17"-23"!!!! The response time, resolution and component socket are needed for Xbox 360 720p. Watching TV signals in HD doesn't matter to me, as I only watch 3 or 4 shows on TV.
              I got one from ASDA (Dual 26" - ?490) it's a rebadged Hitachi. It dosen't have component, but it does it over VGA, is 16ms. I'm playing Amped2 at 720p as I type! It looks superb!

Comment

Samsung LE26R41B - Ctv Lcd 26"16:9 Inc T/Top St Hdmi Ready

Why not go for this one as Microsoft use similar display for demoing XBOX 360 games.

Comment

had a serious look at lcds today, have to say that the samsung one a few other forum peeps have looks fantastic... best of the bunch so far.

*edit: that one posted above, mint.

Comment

For the price you cant reallu knock the Samsung.

I have no doubt that the new JVC and Panasonic 26inch LCD's are the business but they are both retailing for twice the price of the Sammy.

Sony are due to release their new range imminently.

They have been getting rave reviews on some of the US Forums.

Comment

As sad as it sounds, the reported issues of tearing with the Samsung set is the reason I've managed to stop myself from clicking the buy button.

It seems totally hit and miss as to whether their set suffers from it but from the pics over at Avforums it looks quite nasty. Samsung seem to be keeping very quiet about the problem as well (at this point I'm looking for owners of the set to reassure me its not a problem and that I should actually go ahead and buy it )

Having said that, the issue doesn't occur with a VGA connection so if you use that then it shouldn't be a problem. Other than that it's a cracking set for under a grand

I've also got my eye on the JVC one which is apparently a really great set (but its a bit more expensive)

Last edited by Spatial; 31-07-2005, 18:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary
                        http://empiredirect.co.uk/content/pr...M-LE26R41B.htm

Samsung LE26R41B - Ctv Lcd 26"16:9 Inc T/Top St Hdmi Ready

Why not go for this one as Microsoft use similar display for demoing XBOX 360 games.
                        Looks superb - but I'd be going about ?200 over budget!!!

Comment

Lots of positive comments about the JVC but there is a price premium as well to pay for it. That said if I was looking at spending ?1100 ish on a 32 inch LCD I would be hard pressed not to spend the extra ?300 and get one of the class leaders.

Theres alot of hype for the new philips as well but I reckon that there going to be at least 2 grand for the decent model.

If I had the choice ( and if they brought them out in the UK ) I would get one of these without hesitation.

www.runco.com/cr32a.html

Comment

Yeah that looks great! Probably out of my price range too!
                            I think I'm gonna go for the Videoseven ?400 27", just hanging on as long as i can, can't seem to get any feedback on it over on AV Forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101
                              As sad as it sounds, the reported issues of tearing with the Samsung set is the reason I've managed to stop myself from clicking the buy button.

It seems totally hit and miss as to whether their set suffers from it but from the pics over at Avforums it looks quite nasty. Samsung seem to be keeping very quiet about the problem as well (at this point I'm looking for owners of the set to reassure me its not a problem and that I should actually go ahead and buy it )

Having said that, the issue doesn't occur with a VGA connection so if you use that then it shouldn't be a problem. Other than that it's a cracking set for under a grand

I've also got my eye on the JVC one which is apparently a really great set (but its a bit more expensive)

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Referrer....UNumber=103184
                              Its really not a problem.

I havent noticed a single tearing issue in 720p at all!

Comment

Working...
                              X