No announcement yet.

Wii Ethernet connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers Strolls thats wicked! So if I just get a cheap wireless router and plug it into the ethernet box upstairs, can I still run an ethernet from the router to my PC then have wireless access to the Wii aswell?
    Im really asking if I need to buy anything extra, e.g USB Wi Fi dongle to get my PC online or will that setup be the same?
    Also which model is overall the best. Don't mind spendin upto ?30.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Grudge; 21-11-2006, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames
      how can i improve my wireless signal, it wont reach my tv as i have thick walls,
      see if your router has removable aerial(s) and try getting hold of a replacement that will give better range.

if you have really bad wireless problems, most access points double as a wireless repeater - repeater mode is great as you don't need a network cable, just plug the wireless access point in somewhere and it will work transparently to increase your wireless range without fiddling with configurations and the like. i did this at my cousin's house and it's great. access points are pretty cheap nowadays, you can pick up a 2nd-hand 11b one if you want (you shouldn't need g for internet use until your adsl catches up with the wireless speed. i'm on 4mb and that's about the same as 11b's real-world speed in my setup)

Comment

Originally posted by Grudge
        ...So if I just get a cheap wireless router and plug it into the ethernet box upstairs,
        No. Replace the ethernet box upstairs with the router.

can I still run an ethernet from the router to my PC then have wireless access to the Wii aswell?
        Yes. You can usually have 4 devices plugged in to a router & as many wireless devices as you like. They can all be online at the same time.

Im really asking if I need to buy anything extra, e.g USB Wi Fi dongle to get my PC online or will that setup be the same?
        No, you don't need that.

Also which model is overall the best. Don't mind spendin upto ?30.
        I've been inclining towards Linksys kit for wireless APs when ADSL isn't involved. But there are rumours that Linksys routers are problematic with the Wii - although I'm sceptical of this go with a Netgear instead. I can't say I've actually used this model but I'd have thought it'd be a safe bet.

Stroller.

Comment

Grudge,

this 'ethernet box' you mention mentions sounds similar to what I have with my homechoice - namely that it's a tiny little box with an ethernet port on it. Reason being the wire leading to the set top box downstairs is regular bt stuff not cat5.

if that's the case, the ethernet box will probably be secured to a wall, and it won't be a hub/switch - STB's can't route so plugging the STB into a hub/switch causes problems (only one pc will get on the internet).

if what I'm saying applies to you, Grudge, you'll be wanting to connect your wireless router to the ethernet box, then the existing cable going to your pc can be plugged into the router.

regarding wii compatibility, is the wii's wifi dodgy like the DS? if so, i've been using d-link access points (previously an 11b ap, now an a/b/g ap - i keep the router wired so i can upgrade the wireless separately as needed) and have never had a problem with the DS

Comment

Gah..... This is all so confusing! Nintendo, why couldn't you just add an ethernet port!

Getting a router seems a waste of time since my cable-modem is about 3 feet from my PC, I don't like the idea of all those radio-waves buzzing around me all day.....

The dongle it's gonna have to be..... Would people recommend Nintendo's own, or the WiFi Max, which is ?10 cheaper?

Comment

regardless of whether you like radio waves buzzing around you all day, they do ..

I'd go for the official adaptor but thats just me

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq
                Grudge,

if that's the case, the ethernet box will probably be secured to a wall, and it won't be a hub/switch - STB's can't route so plugging the STB into a hub/switch causes problems (only one pc will get on the internet).

if what I'm saying applies to you, Grudge, you'll be wanting to connect your wireless router to the ethernet box, then the existing cable going to your pc can be plugged into the router.

regarding wii compatibility, is the wii's wifi dodgy like the DS? if so, i've been using d-link access points (previously an 11b ap, now an a/b/g ap - i keep the router wired so i can upgrade the wireless separately as needed) and have never had a problem with the DS
                Yeah the Ethernet box is secured to the wall. So I need to run an ethernet from the wall to the router and then one from the router to my PC?
                The Wii should be okay with a wireless signal?
                Cheers.

Comment

it sounds like the easiest way to connect online would be to buy the DS wireless dongle until at least Nintendo release their USB/ethernet box. I have a wireless router but everytime i connect it it cuts my connection off. So i have some questions before i purchase one.

If i buy a DS dongle wi-fi will it work on my PAL Wii or is it region locked?

Also How will the connection be? Will irt be as good and quick as a wired one (keep in mind my Wii will be about 2 meters away from the pc, so there is nothing blocking the signal).

If all signs with this are positive, surley this method is the way to go as it also kills 2 birds with 1 stone. DS and Wii online.

Comment

dongle should work with any region wii. it worked with both a US DS and a UK DS Lite when I tried it.

As for wireless connection, considering the average speed of people's internet, it should be fine, considering you'll be constrained by such small numbers as your upload speed.

the only time i noticed my wireless lagging behind my wired was when playing online streetfighter (where it really counts) on my xbox through an access point set to client mode (and hence working like those wireless ethernet gaming adapters but for a fraction of the cost), which then talked to my actual access point, then to the router, then out to the great wide world. wired-wise, it's just a cable going straight to the router (with a single switch in-between) so it was much better.

Comment

Someone on the nintendo US forum actually confirmed
                      that an unoffical nintendo USB to ethernet adapter does work with the wii.
                      He/she used a KINAMAX usb2.0 (AX88772 chip) adapter.
                      If someone does have a usb2.0 to RJ45 adapter at home
                      it might be worth trying out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornflakes
                        Someone on the nintendo US forum actually confirmed
                        that an unoffical nintendo USB to ethernet adapter does work with the wii.
                        He/she used a KINAMAX usb2.0 (AX88772 chip) adapter.
                        If someone does have a usb2.0 to RJ45 adapter at home
                        it might be worth trying out.
                        Ha! I was wondering about & half-expecting this. Glad to hear it.

The AX8whatever chips seem to be the most common ones in USB ethernet adaptors - even really cheap ones, so you might well get away with really-cheapo-USB-adaptor-from-eBay. Adaptors with these chips work with Macs (OS X), too.

Stroller.

Comment

Working...
                        X