Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what ios I need installed for Pal Wii Sports Resort to run from the Wii menu on my US softmodded Wii? It loads through Gecko, but it was previously loading fine straight from the dash until I installed a necessary ios for a Snes emu channel and it would be nice to get it loading straight in again
    I admittedly find all this ios stuff quite confusing... do you need lots of different ios's installed for different programmes/games, or will a 'higher' ios cover earlier stuff, if you see what I mean?

Comment

Arrgh this is like rocket science. I did the letter bomb thing and installed the homebrew channel and boot mii (whatever that is). That was easy but I cannot get gecko os to work which is the only reason I started all this.

I've got gecko os extracted, it's on the root menu of the SD card in an apps folder. I cannot work out how to install geck os or use it. It's not showing up on the hombrew channel. Do I have to install it and if so where from: letter bomb, WII SD menu, hombrew menu, boot mii menu?

Please help this is driving me nuts.

Comment

Is the .dol file named boot.dol or something else? You might have to rename it. It should just be on the list in the homebrew channel.
        But you are better off installing the homebrew browser and using that to install it which allows easy updates to new versions withouth taking your SD card out.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          Is the .dol file named boot.dol or something else? You might have to rename it. It should just be on the list in the homebrew channel.
          But you are better off installing the homebrew browser and using that to install it which allows easy updates to new versions withouth taking your SD card out.
          After a bit more messing around I finally got gecko working. It loads US GC games fine. I presume it will load import wii games too but I've got none to test.

It turns out I needed to tinker with the gecko folder; delete some junk and move stuff around. Why they don't just pack the files ready to be used upon extraction is beyond me.

I didn't want to set up the homebrew browser or go online with the wii in case it updates and bricks the wii. I'd never have to patience or inclination to fix it if something went wrong.

Thanks for the advice though.

Comment

It should be in a subfolder - \Apps\Gecko and called boot.dol
            There may be two other files which are a description and icon so it looks nice in HBC which is where you start it from.

A one stop fix is Modmii which is a menu driven app for the PC which creates a bundle for you to install on Wii.

Comment

Wondered if I could help here.

Bought Xenoblade. Installed it on my Wii's Wester Digital HDD, which had been pre-formatted to WBSF.

Decided I wanted to try emulating Xenoblade with Dolphin. So installed WBFS manager to grab the game off my HDD and put it on my PC. Except Windows won't recognise the WBFS drive. I plug it in, and supposedly it's meant to show up as RAW data with a new drive letter - but I get nothing.

What am I doing wrong? I bought it second-hand, pre-formatted, so I don't think the USB drive is partitioned. I don't want to reformat it, because I'll lose all my data.

How can I get Windows to recognise the drive? Because until it does, WBFS manager can't access it.

EDIT:
              Fixed the problem by using a different USB port. Easy!
              Last edited by Sketcz; 26-08-2011, 11:46.

Comment

does it run well on dolphin ?

Comment

Flawlessly if your rig is powerful enough - according to the Dolphin forum. You need to tweak settings for audio, but it can be done so they say.

On my PC I get 5 fps.

Comment

What specs is Your computer

Comment

Well, I tested it on my "junk rig". AMD Anthlon 2hgz, NVidia graphics card (not sure the model), and 1 gig ram.

I'm going to switch to my brother's PC next week (little does he realise I shall be borrowing it from his house). 3Ghz clock speed, fancy graphics card and 6 gig ram.

If you check the Dolphin forum they're all waving their PC specs around and comparing compatibility for the how the game runs. 3ghz clock speed minimum I've seen - apparently clock speed is very important, moreso than anything else?

Of course depends on the resolution you're running, anti-aliasing, and so on.

EDIT:

Last edited by Sketcz; 26-08-2011, 19:48.

Comment

Does anyone know if the new redesigned Wii (Nintendo is calling it 'newly configured', whatever that means) is hackable / can be softmodded?

I'm thinking of finally getting one and if the redesigned Wii won't let me play imported games I'd better act fast and get an older model console while they're still available.

Comment

This isn't answering your question, but the redesigned Wii removes the ability to use GameCube games and prepherials (and also, post-hack region free for GameCube games of course). Just in case you didn't know this. GameCube component cables are not the cheapest things in the world, so there is some merit in using a Wii instead.

Comment

Yes, I read about that. While unfortunate, it actually makes some sense from a cost-saving perspective. The controller ports not so much, but the dual (8 cm and 12 cm) slot-loading drive must cost a bit to produce.

Thankfully, I have both a PAL and a switched JP/US GameCube, with all sorts of official cables.

I did wonder whether not being able to play some Wii games with the GameCube controller would be much of an issue but, according to this list, the Classic Controller should fill that gap nicely.

So, for me at least, it's the possibility of hacking / softmodding the redesigned Wii that can make or break this deal.

I'll probably buy an older model console, just in case. It's not as if Nintendo has added something with this redesign. They even managed to get the colour wrong in the upcoming blue wii. It's neither Mario blue or Sonic blue, it's turquoise!

Comment

Right I sold someone on here a Wii with some channel installed that allowed one to force any game to play in 480p. It also allowed the play of backup discs/loading from USB (I think).
                              Stupidly, I never installed it on my main Wii so my question is does anyone know what the hell this channel could have been? Gecko is refusing to play ball (keep getting black screen) and my googling is coming up fruitless.

Edit: Ok, think it was neogamma but can't get the damn thing to work on my 4.2e PAL (first batch black) Wii
                              Last edited by koopatroopa90; 04-11-2011, 19:08.

Comment

I was wondering, if I were to buy a PAL Wii, would I be able to run NTSC GameCube titles on it somehow? Exactly what would I need?

Comment

Working...
                                X