This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gecko OS?

I'd be more certain but bit confused by your phrasing...

Comment

ok i'll keep it simple, How can i play Dk returns on 4.2E.

How can i force pal games on my US wii to play through the s-video lead without rolling (compo****e works ok)

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        Haven't been online with my Wii in quite a while. Wii Shop Channel is asking that I update in order to use it. Will this stop my HBC from working?
        Originally posted by smouty View Post
        It is safer to use a HBC method to update it e.g. DopMii.
        Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        From what I've read, IOS62 is newly installed alongside the updated WSC, so not sure that DopMii is able to help.
        I'd like to know this myself, having just switched on the wii from a years hiatus.
        Though having a (very quick search/ read) on the new wii store update, it seems to be just only for wii U transfer tool. A few people have updated normally (who were on 4.3) through the wii store without ill effect.

I'm on 4.3U with letterbomb exploit, so I might think about just doing a regular update later on, as I don't have Dop-Mii installed yet.
        Last edited by jimtendo; 29-12-2012, 14:22.

Comment

Hello all! I need help!

I have a US Wii. I want to run UK games. All I have to test are UK Gamecube games. I looked around the yarr sites and found instructions to run the homebrew channel and install Gecko OS. From what I can tell, I have successfully done that although most sites went on to give a ton of long hacking instructions that I ignored because they seemed to be for running yarred games, which I have no interest in.

So I go into the Homebrew Channel, then into Gecko and from there I can load a game. Tried UK Monkey Ball first and it looked like it loaded up fine but then gave me an error message before the menu screen. Then tried Billy Hatcher and got nothing but a black screen. Then tried a few others that seemed like they were working but I got no picture. I could hear the sound but no picture output at all.

So... what's wrong? Any ideas?

Looking at the posts above, one theory is that my cable is wrong. I'm not even sure what I have (never knew the difference between component and composite) but I have the one that came with the US launch Wii. So is that preventing this from working? But then, I wonder how come I briefly got picture from Monkey Ball...?

If it's not that, what else could it be? Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Component is 5 plugs, composite is 3.

Comment

I have the composite then. Is that what could be the problem?

Comment

Try forcing 50Hz with Gecko. Composite video should work, I'd expect maybe NTSC video giving you black & white (depending on the TV), rather than no picture at all.

Comment

Yeah I have tried forcing the three available modes (NTSC, PAL50 and PAL60) but seem to get the same results - sound but no picture. There doesn't seem to be any option to change anything on the TV end and I have never come across any problems before so I'm hoping it's nothing to do with my TV. Doing a fairly wide google search shows me that many have had a similar problem but what I haven't managed to find is a solution.

I have ordered a component cable just in case that changes things, although the fact that you're saying composite should works makes me less confident that changing the cable will help.

Anyone know if there is a Gecko alternative I should be trying?

Comment

A shot in the dark, but can you force these games into 60Hz using the traditional method (holding B when booting the GameCube game)? You might have to do it blindly. Just wondered if it was some weird Gecko-related oddity that this would overcome.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can use an app called StartPatch to make the entire system menu region free, removing the need for Gecko.

Comment

Holding B did the trick! You're a genius! Thank you very much. Really appreciate that. Weird how trying to force 60Hz through Gecko didn't do it but not to worry, this does the job. Thanks!

Comment

If the component cable doesn't fix your problem, at least it'll make the picture quality vastly better when you do get it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                          Ok finally got a Japanese game running via rgb normally. Managed to get Zelda working too and still really flickery. Maybe i was wrong and Zelda just had no flicker filter at all.
                          May I ask how you managed that? I've got a copy of Milestone Shooting Collection 2 that I'm running on a PAL Wii w/ RGB Cable via Gecko which gives me the red-only display problem when video-out is set to NTSC, a green screen of death when forcing PAL60, and a "correct" display (although horribly bordered) when forcing PAL50.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
                            May I ask how you managed that? I've got a copy of Milestone Shooting Collection 2 that I'm running on a PAL Wii w/ RGB Cable via Gecko which gives me the red-only display problem when video-out is set to NTSC, a green screen of death when forcing PAL60, and a "correct" display (although horribly bordered) when forcing PAL50.
                            I couldn't get it to display in rgb using gecko. Component only i think

Comment

I've not used my soft modded Wii in a long time. If I do a system update will it cause problems due to the mod? Do Wii games even get patches etc?

Comment

As far as I can workout and existing softmod you have should prevent updates from happening. And from what I can tell, Nintendo has long since given up on Wii updates.

I've never had a game update either (not much storage on the Wii nand, and you can't guarantee that everybody has an SD card).

Comment

Working...
                                X