What actually is the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What actually is the difference?

Between AV and RGB? Everybody goes on about how superior RGB is, but nobody ever says why exactly it is. I'm using RGB half the time and AV the other, but I can't see any difference between the two.

Anybody care to shed some light on the matter?

You are blind.
    You have vaseline rubbed into your eyes.
    Your RGB scart cable isnt an RGB scart cable.
    You have the scart in the wrong socket on your TV.

Comment

SHUT UP OKAY!?

Comment

Come on, tell everyone what was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ?pint
          Between AV and RGB? Everybody goes on about how superior RGB is, but nobody ever says why exactly it is. I'm using RGB half the time and AV the other, but I can't see any difference between the two.

Anybody care to shed some light on the matter?
          you may have brought a fake RGB cable. Trust me they exist; they say some old tosh about "RGB gives you superior quality" on the box but when you try them out you end up having a SCART that simply sends a composite signal to your television.

A composite signal is normally transmitted through RCA leads (yellow for video, red and white for sound). Fake RGB scarts are simply composite transmitted in the form of a SCART cable.

When you have a real RGB cable you will see the difference. Also make sure you've plugged in the cable into the RGB scart. If you're tele has more than one scart socket its likely that only one is an RGB socket.

Comment

It was plugged in the AV-Scart socket

Comment

[20:33:53] <yashiro> its a HUGE diff
              [20:33:56] <half-pint> i've probs got an unofficial scart cable
              [20:33:58] <half-pint> cos it sucks
              [20:33:59] <yashiro> unless youre a blind mofo
              [20:34:10] <yashiro> OR youre not using your rgb socket....
              [20:37:32] <half-pint> HOLY MOTHER OF ****!
              [20:37:42] <half-pint> I CAN SEE THE CHARACTERS IN DISGAEA!
              [20:37:51] <half-pint> W00T W00T DOUBLE-UBER-MOTHER****ER OF ALL W00TS
              [20:37:53] <snowmanZS> ?
              [20:37:56] <yashiro> wrong socket was it?
              [20:37:58] <dogmanstar`> lol
              [20:38:01] * half-pint rolls eyes
              [20:38:04] <half-pint> all this time!
              [20:38:08] <dogmanstar`>
              [20:38:09] <half-pint> so many years of gh3yness!

Comment

Guys, I just laughed my ass off hard. I feel like I encountered the true meaning of rofl. Thanks so much for that, particularly for that chat-quote, yashiro.

Comment

Don't worry bud, I've been there. Only 2 years ago did I discover that I had to plug the RGB cable into Scart 1 on my TV >_<

If it hadn't of been for the Dreamcast Cable not sending out a composite signal, I may not have been any wiser today

Comment

On a similar, but less amusing, note. Is this actually an RGB scart cable?
                    Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

or a fakie?

Comment

There is a downside to RGB though. Habit.

Now when you go to a friend's house you will have to "endure" non-RGB and it can actually be quite tricky.

Comment

Its a short step from discovering your tv only has one RGB socket to having a pile of daisy chained argos scart switch boxes under the telly.

So much cable...

Comment

A mate of mine said he could never really see the point of RGB cables, until I showed him just how much difference it can make. He went out and spent a small fortune on cabling after that.

Never mind Half Pint, we're all enjoying having a laugh at your expense

Regards
                          Marty

Comment

Originally posted by sam1981
                            On a similar, but less amusing, note. Is this actually an RGB scart cable?
                            Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

or a fakie?
                            If it's Logic 3 then it's RGB, I have it and the pic. quality is very good

Comment

Just so I can squeeze every last bit of humour out of this, how long had you been using the AV Scart instead of RGB?

Comment

Working...
                              X