Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It did until the last update and S-E (thankfully) added the ability to save one character's worth of macro (and map marker I believe) data to the POL servers.

Just to reassure myself I went back over the patch notes and found this:

The following data can now be backed up on PlayOnline's servers.
    -"Config" settings inside the main menu (excluding platform-specific settings such as "key assign", and language-specific items).
    -[Current tell target] history for "chat" inside the active command window.
    -Macro and book data.
    -Map marker data.
    -Item display sorting data for the "bid" option in the auction menu.

[Storage Location]
    It is now possible to store configuration data on PlayOnline's servers, in addition to your game machine's own hard disk drive. Up to four slots are available on your hard disk for this purpose, while one slot is available on the server. One slot stores one character's worth of configuration data. Selecting a used slot will overwrite existing data.

[Saving Configuration]
    Bring up the configuration file save screen by pressing the following buttons/keys at the character selection screen, and choose the slot in which you wish to save.

"PlayStation 2": L1 button + L3 button
    Xbox 360: LB + left stick button
    Keyboard: [Shift] + [Alt] + [Ctrl] + [B]

[Loading Configuration]
    Bring up the configuration file load screen by pressing the following buttons/keys at the character selection screen, and choose the slot from which you wish to load.

"PlayStation 2": R1 button + R3 button
    Xbox 360: RB + right stick button
    Keyboard: [Shift] + [Alt] + [Ctrl] + [R]

[Deleting Configuration]
    Bring up the configuration file deletion screen by pressing the following buttons/keys at the character selection screen. Confirm deletion to restore default settings for the currently selected character.

"PlayStation 2": R1 button + L2 button + R3 button + L3 button
    Xbox 360: R2 + L2 + right stick button + left stick button
    Keyboard: [Shift] + [Alt] + [Ctrl] + [D]

Comment

Apart from a slight scare (the option to select my saved macros from the server didn't appear for about 5 seconds) the macros/map markers data was loaded up with no problems.

Very handy feature.

Comment

Good glad to hear! I saved my macros to another hdd though and didnt go through that procedure!

Glad to hear they made it a little easier, its these little things that make life so much easier but it seems it takes so long for SE to listen to the cries of fans and sometimes just way too late....

Comment

Was anyone else aware of FFXI Piano Collection II?

Square-Enix

Play-Asia

Comment

Originally posted by MegaMan X View Post

Square-Enix

Play-Asia
            That track listing seems a bit "meh" to me. Wasn't a great fan of most of those tracks in game - fast paced battle music never seems to fit a piano very well.

Ah well, I will probably "acquire" it via my usual source, so I win either way that will teach SE for choosing not to release the music in Europe...

Comment

Originally posted by Tsingtao View Post
              I'm vaguely tempted to do something about reviving Rargh I miss it, if people were interested we could get it back together but no way I'm doing it alone. Witha bit of effort we could get it back to how it was before, I have the time now I'm not running anything in end game.
              That might tip the balance to get me back in the game - I have a 100mpbs connection and a brand new PC, and due to starting a new job in a high school I now have the free time too.. I've been looking at the game discs (which I took with me when I left the UK) and debating whether or not to install again. Actually I don't identify with anything that gets talked about on this thread anymore.. it's all new places, monsters, battles, abbreviations which mean nothing to me whatsoever... also the linkshells and players that are mentioned mean nothing to me at all. As a player who mostly saw linkshells as a necessary evil I'm certainly not going to go back into the game and find an opening with a bunch of random strangers. (I have way too many chips on my shoulder for that to ever be successful anyway!)

If I knew I was at least going back to the same social group it wouldn't matter if I wasn't involved in any of the same things. It's really a tough call though... when you leave an MMORPG you definitely get a new perspective on it - for me it's like leaving the town you grew up in - you love it and have so many fond memories, but if you went back to live there again nothing would be the same (and in some ways it would also be a backward step!)... know what I mean?

I'm 50/50 on whether it's better to keep the memories preserved as they are.

Comment

Have you thought about maybe coming back purely to finish off the mission lines that you have have uncompleted? I seem to remember that was one aspect of the game that interested more than almost anything else.

Whilst it's doubtful Rargh will ever be like it was, I'm sure there are people (myself included) who will be than happy to repeat missions. If I remember, you got to Sea before you left and whilst I will admit Chapter 8 wasn't the best part of CoP, once completed along with Rise of the Zilart, you can do Apocalypse Nigh which rounds everything off nicely and has some great payoff cutscenes (especially the on before the fight).

Apocalypse Nigh is what I envisage S-E intended the "end" of the game to be but ongoing popularity forced their hand in releasing expansions which feel more like gaidens to the main Final Fantasy XI/Rise of the Zilart/Chains of Promathia plaot which all tie up brilliantly.

Comment

RNG58 now and really into this “levelling other jobs business”

Rarehero looks awesome in the combination of RNG AF and Akinji gear that I have him equipped in. A really nice looking AF set. Damage on Lesser Colibri EXP is remarkable though thanks to piercing bonus and I’m getting some nice comments on my DD performance which encourages me further.

Best party was Sunday morning where we took SCH RDM PLD COR DRG and RNG to Colibri. Well the combination of all that piercing bonus was deadly which was fortunate as the PLD we had was lousy. That’s the thing that bugs me when levelling, the ratio of good:bad tanks is horribly skewed to the latter. I’m not just talking in terms of hate holding (I am a responsible DD 99% of the time and try to ensure I keep to the hate line, saving Barrage/Slugwinder until the end of a fight etc.) but in this case the PLD just wasn’t doing the basics right.

I’d pull to camp and he would almost always take about 5 seconds or more to react to a monster in camp, then draw his weapon, whack away once or twice (like his puny damage was going to do anything when I’d done in the region of 150-170 damage purely on the pull hit) then would hit Provoke and maybe Flash. There were too many pulls where I could go through 6 Utsusemi shadows before the PLD had even reacted to a pull which is poor.

Saturday I noticed that San d'Oria outranked both Windurst and Bastok in Conquest that week (which doesn't happen much lately) so used the opportunity to purchase the Patriarch Protector's Arrow and Gold Musketeer's Bolt. 40k CP each, leaving me with only 9k so can't afford to shoot these without Unlimited Shot by mistake.

Also, unrelated, knocked another 2 Assault clears off leaving me with 8 more to go (3 Second Lieutenant and all 5 First Lieutenant). Hopefully, getting them done soonish as the extra tag would be handy for the upcoming Nyzul Isle runs.
                  Last edited by C'; 27-05-2008, 13:24.

Comment

Well rather unsuccessful farming for my relaxing earring, made 20k lost 15k of it DCing. Managed 3 N.Q. Organs and 4 H.Q. which is odd but leaves SoU witha load of JoF to pop while I'm gone

Well away now for a few weeks see you all when I'm back

Oh and Darwck get your ass back online, so much to do out there now, soloing xp is now much more possible as well.
                    Last edited by Tsingtao; 27-05-2008, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaMan X View Post

Square-Enix

Play-Asia
                      Why do you refer to this as Piano Collections II? Play-Asia just lists it as Piano Collections.

Has there been another FFXI Piano Collections CD or are you just considering the CD that came in the Premium Boxset?

Regardless, pre-order placed for the new one. Apparently it will come with a Piano in game furnishing =D

Comment

Yeah, with it being a different set of tracks i assumed it was "II".

Just finished the quest "A Manifest Problem", for anyone who hasn't finished this amazing quest, i recommend getting it done. I can't think of any other quest or Mission that was as fun as this.

Comment

No FRAPs installed yet so have to make do with a Wiki image, but got these last night (finally):

12 months ago I'd have been screaming from the rooftops that I had them, but in these post-Byakko's Haidate days they have become less useful. That's not to say I'm not glad to have them as I heart still missed a beat when I saw them drop and I was the only person down for lotting. As a bonus, I didn't have to stay up until 5:30am to get them like my previous attempts

I think now they are pretty much reserved only for HP gear for Spirit’s Within.

There was some discussion on forums last year where it was considered that using Koga Hakama along with Ninja Chainmail and Suppanomimi but I was too stupid to understand the math and even if so I’m doubtful whether giving up the DEX+15 is worth the marginal speed increase (if there is any).
                          Last edited by C'; 28-05-2008, 08:20.

Comment

WARNING: RANT INCOMING!!!!

Seriously, do S-E even playtest or have a clue what is going on in their game any more? It’s like they are still basing their changes on message board comments made in 2006.

Did SAM really need another buff with Sekkanoki last update? Aren’t PLD already supremely powerful tanks, was this spell really necessary (regardless of potency)?

It galls that I’ve played NIN since Feb 04 and in that time I’ve seen nothing but nerf after nerf because it was “overpowered”. I was told to “stop asking for updates to NIN, the job is fine as it is”. Yet here we are years later with a bunch of jobs that, to my eyes at least, are fine as they are currently that continue to get beneficial updates.

Gaining the crappiest set of tier 2 merits and Monomi is just a further kick in the balls.

Comment

lolcopter 25% overwhelm LOLOLOLOL, thats stronger than Sneak Attack, without a timer but no 100% acc... Double Att proc on Overwhelm fromthe front does about 1.2-1.5k on it own on IT mobs.

Well its a good job your leveling RNG then

I could get
                              6min 40 rolls
                              5 min snake eyes
                              25% overwhelm LOL
                              5 min Shikikoyo
                              1 min 40 penance
                              TIER 5 AM2 LOLOLOL
                              2 minute feint recast

monk kicks and pld spell make this nothing but total, total win.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                                Well its a good job your leveling RNG then
                                I don't even see the point of that. I get to pay more gil to be a less effective DD on end game mobs - played S-E

And that point is regardless anyway. I want to be doing stuff on my NIN. It's the job I ENJOY playing most but opportunities to use it for anything are becoming less and less (I'm just fortunate to be in a great sky shell that want to use me otherwise I'd be doing nothing at all in game of any real merit).

Comment

Working...
                                X