Retro Core Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaladron
    I tried to download the show twice and each time it came to a halt around the 70% mark. Do you know if there's a working download yet Yakumo?
    Which one are you downloading? I know that a guy over at assemblergames downloaded the entire shooting special and watched it so that should be fine or is it volume 19 you are talking about? As far as I know that is working fine. I'll try to download it myself. Should only take about 10 minutes.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
      Which one are you downloading? I know that a guy over at assemblergames downloaded the entire shooting special and watched it so that should be fine or is it volume 19 you are talking about? As far as I know that is working fine. I'll try to download it myself. Should only take about 10 minutes.

Yakumo
      It was volume 19.

Comment

I've just downloaded it without any problems. You're not on NTL are you? I've read many things on this forum about them being total crap. I'll give the download another try to see if it craps out.

Yakumo

EDIT - The download has slowed down to 87kbps now so it will take another 30 minutes to download it. I'm sleepy though so I'm off to bed. I'll let you know tomorrow if it downloaded again. Try downloading it with a download manager such as GetRight.
        Last edited by Yakumo; 14-04-2006, 16:36.

Comment

I've just downloaded it with a program called "Speed Downloader" but it still took much longer than it should have. I have a feeling that archive.org is responsible since everything else I've downloaded today as come down very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaladron
            I've just downloaded it with a program called "Speed Downloader" but it still took much longer than it should have. I have a feeling that archive.org is responsible since everything else I've downloaded today as come down very quickly.
            Yeah, I think they're having some problems at the moment. First time I downloaded it only took 13 minutes but the second time took almost an hour ! Still, I can't really complain when they host the show for free

Yakumo

Comment

Well I finally got the show. Watched half of it last night on the Mac and the other half on the GP2X on the way to work this morning.

Great show! The Final Fight CD review made me feel guilty for not playing my copy in ages. It really is the best version isn't it?

I loved seeing Metropolis Street Racer again too. The Richard Jacques music, radio effects and real time adjustments make it much better than Project Gotham in my opinion - and the visuals still look amazing!

Comment

Can i ask where the newer title music for retro core comes from?

19 was good, MSR was one of the games that won me back over from a period of being exclusively a PC gamer after just getting fed up with the playstation in the 90s. it still has a wierd 'something' thats not present in the later PGR games. Enjoyed seeing the segata sanshiro ads too

Comment

Hey. I saw the list for retrocore 20. Some stuff Im keen to see.

How long till its up on the archive for download?

And when are we going to see a review of Sin & Punishement (N64)?? We know how much you blindly love Treasure (*cough*)

Also. Im not sure how big a fan of Bubble Bobble you are Yakumo. But assuming youve managed to accumulate a few conversions over the years ......a Bubble Bobble head-to-head (like your Phalanx and Final fight comparisons) would be awesome. Im guessing youve got the Saturn version at least.

And retro updates. Theyre continuing to re-release old games with new paint (Most recently Maverick Hunter X. LOved the harsh NTSC review). Have you ever thought of doing a retrocore special looking at this?

Anyway. Back to playing Ninja Cop (GBA). One game retrocore shoudl eventually take a look at. A flashback to the days of Konami before they lost the plot.
                  Last edited by craptest; 01-05-2006, 07:50.

Comment

Originally posted by craptest
                    Hey. I saw the list for retrocore 20. Some stuff Im keen to see.

How long till its up on the archive for download?
                    Check around the 7th or 8th of May. I still need to encode the download version.

And when are we going to see a review of Sin & Punishement (N64)?? We know how much you blindly love Treasure (*cough*)
                    You know I was going to buy that last week as well as perfect Dark but it's just too bloody expensive for my liking. 5800 yen for a used N64 game ! No thanks ! So I bought the first castlevania game and am I pissed off with that! It's basically the same bloody game as the second one (which I played first) I tell you, If I had bought the first N64 Castlevania when it was new then bought the follow up on release both at full price I would have been a very angry man.

Also. Im not sure how big a fan of Bubble Bobble you are Yakumo. But assuming youve managed to accumulate a few conversions over the years ......a Bubble Bobble head-to-head (like your Phalanx and Final fight comparisons) would be awesome. Im guessing youve got the Saturn version at least.
                    Yeah, I like Bubble Bobble but not that much to be bothered with it. Bubble Symphony on the saturn is pretty cool though.

And retro updates. Theyre continuing to re-release old games with new paint (Most recently Maverick Hunter X. LOved the harsh NTSC review). Have you ever thought of doing a retrocore special looking at this?
                    yeah, I saw that review. I won't be doing stuff like that on Retro Core because I don't own anything newer than the Dreamcast and have no intention on buying anything at the moment. I may get the Revolution, oh sorry, I mean the Wii. (Stupid bloody name that is!)

Anyway. Back to playing Ninja Cop (GBA). One game retrocore shoudl eventually take a look at. A flashback to the days of Konami before they lost the plot.
                    Tell me about it. Konami lost the plot half way through the 32bit generation I think with only a hand full of good titles or am I just being a sad old fart with rose tinted glasses? I'll look in to that Ninja Cop. I'm sure I've seen a copy in the local Hard Off.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
                      So I bought the first castlevania game and am I pissed off with that! It's basically the same bloody game as the second one (which I played first) I tell you, If I had bought the first N64 Castlevania when it was new then bought the follow up on release both at full price I would have been a very angry man.
                      Yeah. Unfortunately it was really just an 'upgrade' of the first game. An irritating Konami trend of late. See Metal Gear Solid 2 ---> MGS2 Substance and MGS3 ----> MGS3: Subsistance

Bad enough with DVD extra special limited collector's edition that see your fav film constantly re-released with better features. Now theyre doing it with games. FARK!!! Why do I have to pay another 30 GBP to play MGS3 with a decent camera?!?!

Playing Konami games from the 16bit days its unbelievable how varied and vast their output was. Now theyre mainly known for Metal gear Solid games, Silent Hill and that Winning eleven. At least we got some 2D castlevania love on the handhelds ...though Im getting a little sick of the Super Metroid / SOTN style gameplay. A return to the side-scrolling simplicity of Super Castlevania IV would be a welcome step backwards.

Oh and Gradius V. That was recent Konami and good (curtesy of Treasure)

Though if we are going to be shaking our heads at the current state of Konami - what about SEGA? Post DC I pretty much only rate Super Monkey Ball 1 .....and Amusement Visions other work on games like F-Zero GX.

When they were kings. Indeed.

(People have been raving about Outrun 2006. IMO theyre over blowing a minor sega success (ie a recent game from them that isnt sonic and sucky) into a major one. The game is lacking in a number of ways - a fun challenge being one area).

Comment

A return to the side-scrolling simplicity of Super Castlevania IV would be a welcome step backwards.
                        Hear hear! I love Super Metroid and hold it as one of the most important video games ever made (it's still more singular and forward-thinking than anything on the shelves today), but I long for a return to the days when Castlevania was proud to be (in some small ways) an industry leader, rather than settling for the derivative 2nd best.

Bah, I'm like a broken record really. You might want to check out an old celebratory thread I made about CV4 here:

http://boards.ign.com/castlevania/b5214/99670094/p1

If it sounds a bit pompous, that was kind of intentional.

Maybe you could chip in? Us early 90s Konami fanboys need to get vocal! Keep it Contra III! HAIL AXELAY!
                        Last edited by Klatrymadon; 02-05-2006, 01:43.

Comment

MMmmm Axelay. I have retrocore to thank for finally picking that game up (watched Yakumo die and thought I could do better ).

SO far retro core has spiked my interest in about 6 games and cost me considerable money. DAMN YOU!!

Comment

MMmmm Axelay. I have retrocore to thank for finally picking that game up (watched Yakumo die and thought I could do better ).
                            YOu cheeky bugger !

SO far retro core has spiked my interest in about 6 games and cost me considerable money. DAMN YOU!!
                            I'm now putting RC21 together which I can tell you will have some really nice stuff plus a little "blue" Saturn action.

Yakumo

Comment

MMmmm Axelay. I have retrocore to thank for finally picking that game up
                              What about that soundtrack, eh? Souji Taro is the king.

Of the world.

Comment

Got a few of the retro core and a couple of the specials.

Only had a quick look at the saturn special first impressions very impressive ever thought of doing a fighting game special?
                                Last edited by eastyy; 04-05-2006, 13:14.

Comment

Working...
                                X