No announcement yet.

Retro Core Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi yakumo 1st time in here for me love the accent where are u from originally i thought maybe darlington or south shields? anyway my mate recently introduced me to retrocore and guees what?.. its great!

I admire the amount of footage u cram in in 1 episode also most of the games u display most people havent even heard of so its 60hz refreshing to know if tv aint gonna do retro games justice then us plebs will.

On another note can you maybe give me some advice about doing my own home brew show? as i will be using a dvd camcorder, and as you are prolly aware mpeg2 will be maybe to big for most european dllers.

lastly in the future would you possibly consider doing a mame or jamma special? as i think a program on japanese arcade games from the 80's and 90's is greatly overdue.

Pity you or somebody else western in japan couldnt 1 day track down and interview devolpers from the great jap legends irem data east jaleco taito capcom snk to name a few..I wish also maybe a sega racing section arcade genre best of lookback? also im guessing mame history files would be usefull for reference?

Keep up the good work mate look forward to the next retro core and one day ill get to play heavy unit on mame?

Comment

Hi Leekboy2K1, Thanks for your comments on Retro Core. I'm actually from Liverpool believe it or not. my accent has change quite a bit overthe last 6 years since I've been in Japan. I never did have a strong scouse accent anyway but still it was noticeable I guess.

The next Retro Core should look far better than the last. I've installed XP on my PC (Finally got a Japanese version) so that means I can now use Adobe Premier. If you are thinking of making your own home brew show than make sure that the Digital Video Camera that you'll use is capable of scan line filtering and strobe filtering otherwise you'll get some really shiity black lines or warp lines when you film a TV. Take a look at Consolevania for evidence of that. The camera they use is really poor for filming TV screens but it's still a great show. Anyway, being a DVD camera won't make any difference from a mini digital tape camera if it doesn't have good filters. The camera I use is a Sharp Viewcam which is about 2 years old now so probably the latest thing in the uk It's wonderful for filming TV (no strobe lines etc) thanks to it's good filters. Also make sure you have a non reflective TV for filming on. As you see on Retro Core, there are no reflections what so ever when I film the games. Since you'll be filming your show in MPEG 2 like myself you'll need to convert it. Virtual Dub Mod will convert MPEG 2 to AVI so you're best to use that to convert the files then Adobe Premier to edit them. I convert my show to X-Vid (level 4) with MP3 sound at 56kbps. The sound isn't the greatest in the world but sure helps on keeping the file sizes down.

If you have any more questions then please feel free to ask.

Yakumo

Comment

Hi again yakumo san thanks for your tips on doing my own show, i was thinking of maybe doing an ante retro show aswell as a piss take? i.e. reviewing ea and any other official sony or official pal crap game with enthusiasm and having my fat mate as the shows mascot!

I could maybe do some pal peripheral reviews like ps1 rf aerial lead and official ps2demo discs, ps1 pad review etc

It sounds pretty crazy but most uk ps2 owners would prolly think it was hardcore especially as most ps2 games in the uk are bought by zealots who only lust for 256bit quadlinear filtered photo realistic wollygonsft:
        knuckleheads like that aint goin away, remember in the 80's when the 16bit word was first banded around? well its gettin worse.
        I dispair at the revamped predictable crap that will no doubt be pumped out on the psp over here, after all who cares if a consoles cpu supports hyper threading or terra flop instruction set power? as you once stated gameplay is a dying art which must be saved!
        p.s. arigato yakamo me old san hopin for that mame or jamma retro core ep and sayanara!

Comment

Good luck in your idea leeboy2k1. It sounds like it would be quite a laugh. I can imagine the PS2 fanboys telling all their mates about what a hard core show it is

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by leeboy2k1
            Hi again yakumo san thanks for your tips on doing my own show, i was thinking of maybe doing an ante retro show aswell as a piss take? i.e. reviewing ea and any other official sony or official pal crap game with enthusiasm and having my fat mate as the shows mascot!

I could maybe do some pal peripheral reviews like ps1 rf aerial lead and official ps2demo discs, ps1 pad review etc

It sounds pretty crazy but most uk ps2 owners would prolly think it was hardcore especially as most ps2 games in the uk are bought by zealots who only lust for 256bit quadlinear filtered photo realistic wollygonsft:
            knuckleheads like that aint goin away, remember in the 80's when the 16bit word was first banded around? well its gettin worse.
            I dispair at the revamped predictable crap that will no doubt be pumped out on the psp over here, after all who cares if a consoles cpu supports hyper threading or terra flop instruction set power? as you once stated gameplay is a dying art which must be saved!
            p.s. arigato yakamo me old san hopin for that mame or jamma retro core ep and sayanara!
            Oh bloody hell you have me laughing. Please, do make this happen!! And don't leave the pathetic XBOX war games/fps crowd unscathed either!

And Yakumo, your 32X feature really had zero merit with me because of the simple fact that all it was doing was pandering to the usual piss-take on the 32X, trying to distance yourself from any inkling of Sega preference for credibillity's sake. In fact that seems to be a very recurring undercurrent in your features which dilutes the whole bloody thing for me.
            Last edited by Naouruki; 27-02-2005, 01:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Naouruki
              And Yakumo, your 32X feature really had zero merit with me because of the simple fact that all it was doing was pandering to the usual piss-take on the 32X, trying to distance yourself from any inkling of Sega preference for credibillity's sake. In fact that seems to be a very recurring undercurrent in your features which dilutes the whole bloody thing for me.
              I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. The 32X was a good machine but support for it was pathetic, especially from western developers. Some western developers (mostly European) did try to make some cool stuff for the 32X but that wasn't enough. Many companies were porting Mega Drive stuff to it with only minor improvements or releasing games like Spiderman that could have been done on a Mega Drive. Anyway, if you don't like my features then don't watch them. I'm not forcing you to. I say what I feel and I feel that the 32X was a machine left to die.

Yakumo

Comment

Well yakumo looks like naouruki aint gonna be best man at your wedding buts guess thats the problem with havin an opinion... nobody else likes em.

So I say...f*ck em u seem to like sega like I like salma hayek in a babydoll nightie

feel the power of an overhead shower!

Comment

Well yakumo looks like naouruki aint gonna be best man at your wedding buts guess thats the problem with havin an opinion... nobody else likes em.

So I say...f*ck em u seem to like sega like I like salma hayek in a babydoll nightie

feel the power of an overhead shower!
                  I take that as a complement I think I love Sega ! People only have to look at my site to know that

Yakumo

Comment

Heh. I may have criticised Yakumo's 32X feature (in hindsight a little overzealously, as you did mention the essentila issue - it was left to die by SEGA) but Retro Core on the whole is alright, and I think of Yakumo as a great guy.

Unlike MD, I am not hiding an overpowering sexual desire/rage for Yakumo hidden behind constant petty insults and flaming! Out with it already MD! You know that 'girlfriend' you take with you round Akiba is nothing more than a blow-up doll modelled after Yakumo!

Comment

Originally posted by Naouruki
                      Out with it already MD! You know that 'girlfriend' you take with you round Akiba is nothing more than a blow-up doll modelled after Yakumo!
                      YUCK ! What a horrible thought .

Yakumo

Comment

I feel for you, poor lad,but at least now you know the TRUE reason for MD's visit to Japan and to lock your doors and bolt your windows?

Comment

Yakumo careful son naouruki seems a little obsessed with your personal life
                          Lets give this troll a retrocore score of erm...........0 out of 10
                          You sure u aint broke his heart in a previous life?

Comment

You sure u aint broke his heart in a previous life?
                            Who knows

The new Retro Core should have been released today but it's going to be delayed a bit thanks to having two weeks of PC troubles. Should be out for next weekend I hope.

Yakumo

Comment

Retro Core Volume 6 is now available for download after almost 1 month of problems with it and then yesterday the PC died But it's now finished and rared up for download via the FTP. The BT downloads will be ready in a few days. I'd also like a few people to test the download to make sure the FTP is ok since I had to reinstall it after the PC died.

IP ADDRESS - segagagadomain.serveftp.com

LOGIN - RetroCore

PASSWORD - kikugawa

PORT - 21

Yakumo
                              Last edited by Yakumo; 12-03-2005, 14:38.

Comment

must be working I get to many users come up - get off let me have a go!

Comment

Working...
                                X