No announcement yet.

The PC-Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, I saw that. I can't justify spending that kind of money on a single console >_<

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
      Yea, I saw that. I can't justify spending that kind of money on a single console >_<
      Yea I know what you mean mate,it is rather a lot

My ex girlfriend bought me mine - bless her soul

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
        Totally agree. It's my fav PC Engine game and one of the best from that generation.

I paid $100 for my copy, with mint manual and spline card. Probably worth a lot more now, but I'm never letting it go.

When I look at what Castlevania has become now - a Metroid clone - it depresses me. Yeah they're decent enough games, but the old school Castlevania is what I'm after. No backtracking, no getting stuck and endlessly wandering for the answer... just pure Castlevania gameplay.
        I totally agree. When Symphony of the Night came-out I was excited at the prospect of a new title, but I was soon dismayed to find a metroid-esque sterile grey and boring game. I hate the way Konami have decided to join the " Arcade action is dead " brigade. Castlevania should be all about the levels, getting from A to B and being confronted with tricks and traps. This idea of turning the series into a semi-rpg really dilutes the Castlevania flavour, and that's why I don't play them, errggghhh.

Comment

Originally posted by HANGMAN
          I've so wanted an LT over the years, but it's kind of hard to justify as the thing needs a mains power supply.

I have a GT, which now has sound so quiet it can really only be used with headphones, and the 6 AA batteries per 2 hours of play thing kind of puts me off using it much.

But still I love my PC Engine stuff. After reading this thread I went away and spent a fantastic hour in Dracula X. What a game, total perfection.

Comment

When I look at what Castlevania has become now - a Metroid clone - it depresses me. Yeah they're decent enough games, but the old school Castlevania is what I'm after. No backtracking, no getting stuck and endlessly wandering for the answer... just pure Castlevania gameplay.
            Originally posted by kingston lj
            I totally agree. When Symphony of the Night came-out I was excited at the prospect of a new title, but I was soon dismayed to find a metroid-esque sterile grey and boring game. I hate the way Konami have decided to join the " Arcade action is dead " brigade. Castlevania should be all about the levels, getting from A to B and being confronted with tricks and traps. This idea of turning the series into a semi-rpg really dilutes the Castlevania flavour, and that's why I don't play them, errggghhh
            This is quite interesting, as I consider the recent CV games to be the best of the series. SotN is my favourite CV game by a country mile, and the three GBA games that follow the same semi-RPG format are also brilliant titles that I rate very highly (Aria is my fave GBA game). I can see where you're coming from - sometimes the backtracking is a little annoying. But to me, they're just CV games in slightly different clothing. I love the level ups, the items, the unlockable and secret areas - I think it really adds to the game and keeps you interested much longer than you usually would be. I wouldn't say that the RPG-style games have resulted in a loss of action, either. SotN requires you to be just as skillful with the pad as any other CV title.

The recent PS2 version I didn't like as much because it was a bit of a halfway house - it still had the massive, sprawling 'go anywhere' levels but removed the level ups, items, etc. This crippled the game in my opinion and didn't really give you any reason to fight all the monsters you encountered as you backtracked through the game - at least in SotN you didn't mind fighting an enemy more than once because you knew that it would add to your experience (and besides as you used more powerful weapons you could kill the early enemies with one hit). My point is that the PS2 version is closer to the original games in terms of gameplay - yet it failed to register in my eyes.

I love the 8-bit and 16-bit CV games too - the series was a firm favourite of mine before SotN came along - but I think Konami did the right thing with the first 32-bit CV game.

Comment

I never really played the Nes versions, before my time. I have played Simons Quest though, and it is a great game. The CV game I love is no4; it has everything, even the so called boring opening is great imo.

I liked the N64 games, they were graphically good and provided some decent gameplay; I can't beleiver people critisice these versions.

I have never been interested in the GBA games. They look too much like Metroid, a style of gameplay that bores me to tears.

Syphony of the Night just didn't hit me. It's so down-beat, and grey. The graphics are washed-out and the animation can be really bad, especially compared to the CV4. I understand that some people like the exploration, but it's just not true to the series, and really grates.

I really think the series has gone down-hill in recent years. The series has become stale, and in a way DevilMayCry is the type of experience CV should be aiming for.

Comment

The CV game I love is no4; it has everything, even the so called boring opening is great imo
                I love CV4 too. It was the first CV game I really got into. Everything about it is fantastic, the music is awesome, the graphics impressive and the gameplay is some of the best found in the series (Simon in CV4 also has the best whip control).

The graphics are washed-out and the animation can be really bad, especially compared to the CV4
                The animation in SotN towers above than found in CV4 mate! Alucard is fantastically animated - just making him turn from left to right results in a smooth animation of him spinning round. His running animation is also great. Some of the enemy animation is a bit crap, but nowhere near as shocking as that found in CV4 - the knights in the library level for example. So I've got to disagree with you there.

I suppose SotN is not to everyone's tastes but to me it's a masterpiece.

Comment

I don't think that at all (in response to kingston's post)... I'm totally the opposite; I love the latest iterations of the CV games but weren't too keen on the old platforming bits. It goes to show that it does cater for all gamers though, with something for everyone. Prefer the platforming/hack-slash games? Go for the more retro titles, like SNES CV (a very good game, didn't really get on with earlier versions). Fancy a bit of adventuring too? Later versions will suite you just fine.

I too like the N64 titles. Well, the first one anyway... The music is fantastic, especially the opening violin thing. Fancy a Castlevania thread then??

My PC Engine came yesterday but nobody was there to pick it up. It's being delivered again today, I might post some pics later.

Last edited by Commander Marklar; 22-12-2004, 08:05.

Comment

I think SOTN is the best of the Metroid clone Castlevanias, but I still remember getting lost several times and not knowing what to do. I was playing the PSX import version in Japanese, which can't of helped.

I later bought it again on the Saturn years later, mainly to see the new bits and to see if I had just not enjoyed the game back then for some random reason. Sadly I still don't like the game much. Too much backtracking, you're just forced to see the same locations over and over.

The GBA Metroid clones are worse though. They really, really suffer from the getting stuck not knowing where to go syndrome. I remember playing the secone one and just giving up in dispair after what seemed like hours of looking for some powerup I needed to progress. Endlessly going over and over the same areas trying to see what I missed.

Not fun.

With the original Castlevania gameplay, I am constantly entertained, literally never a dull moment. Dracula X PCE is perhaps the pinacle of the series for me, then Castlevania 4, then Bloodlines/Vampire Killer, then Castlevania 3, 2, then 1. The original Gameboy version holds fond memories too, even if it was pretty clunky.

Paid a fortune for the JP versions of Circle of Blood and Vampire Killer... but worth every penny.

Comment

I was playing the PSX import version in Japanese, which can't of helped.
                      You can't blame the game for that - many of the hints and prompts need to be read to get anywhere. I assume you were playing the Japanese version of HoD on the GBA as well? Again that is a game that really needs to be played in English. If you played Simon's Quest in Japanese you would be stuck too. Personally HoD is the weakest of the GBA games, but it's still decent and I enjoyed playing through it (I also played the Jap version with the help of an FAQ). Aria of Sorrow is fantastic though, almost on par with SotN.

I'll get a CV thread started - let's move this topic to there.

Comment

I must admit that I only really truely love one CV game and its no4.

Is it 100% certain that some of the Treasure guys made it?

There was a certain magic about Konami back then in the early 90's. I know they are still a great company, but they really dropped the ball with Castlevania. The way Capcom have become the gothic action kings with Devil May Cry, only shows have much ground Konami have lost.

My ultimate dream would be for Konami to commision Treasure to make a new Castlevania. This wouldn't guarantee success I know, but I would have enough faith to believe that Treasure could deliver something beyond Konami themselves.

Comment

Let's take this outside...

Comment

Heh, nice one Duddyroar

So, my PC Engine came today. I get just as excited by old machines as I do new, freaky <-- so all the girls call me

Its got a really, nice and chunky retro feel to it. Quite heavy but oh so tiny and perfectly formed. Love the on/off switch, heh. Attached is a photo next to my DC, although I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet 'cos my daughter wanted to play too, heh. It needs a bit of a clean, damn smokers >_<

Gonna sort it out later. I need to get me some more games now and fix teh RGB ^_^
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Commander Marklar; 22-12-2004, 20:13.

Comment

Rad velcome to the fraternity, what game/s did you get?
                              Last edited by Baseley09; 22-12-2004, 20:17.

Comment

I got... Atomic Robo Kid, Cyber Combat Police, Rabio Lepus and Tales of the Monsters Path.

Comment

Working...
                                X