No announcement yet.

Let's talk Snes games...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camps, my mate is at the end of Actraiser. How the hell do you beat those 7 or 8 bosses? From watching him, it looks nigh-on impossible, even with all the hidden lives and no matter the magic you pick.

I have been playing Smash TV at his house, as well. Now that game truly is ageless.

Comment

Treb - http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/...ctraiser_a.txt

Smash TV is indeed a work of art

Comment

Camps there is an error with the link!

It will not work for me. It may be GameFAQs, this often occurs with them!

Comment

If you like shooters this is regarded by many Snes fans as the definitive.

The western box, not bad.

8)

All the guardians are fantastic but this is a favourite.

The amazing and classic Japanese box.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidez
            The RPGs i'd rather play on US PSone.
            The US SNES Carts are the ones to get. I can't speak for the others, but the PSone versions of FFIV and FFVI are easily inferior. The frankly rubbish FMV intro jars with the 2D graphics, the games stutter at points (especially when entering random battles) but worst of all the music is different, even off key at some points.

It seems than rather than write the music directly to the PSone's soundchip, Square decided unwisely to get the PSone to emulate the SNES's sound chip (which is hugely ironic as it was made by Sony). Thus the sounds are not of the same quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats
              The RPGs i'd rather play on US PSone.
              The US SNES Carts are the ones to get. I can't speak for the others, but the PSone versions of FFIV and FFVI are easily inferior. The frankly rubbish FMV intro jars with the 2D graphics, the games stutter at points (especially when entering random battles) but worst of all the music is different, even off key at some points.

It seems than rather than write the music directly to the PSone's soundchip, Square decided unwisely to get the PSone to emulate the SNES's sound chip (which is hugely ironic as it was made by Sony). Thus the sounds are not of the same quality.
              I'm happy with them and things like the Chrono Trigger animations are a nice touch. I'm not dismissing the SNES originals but for me the PSone is more efficient and the ports faithful enough.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that Contra on SFC is truly dire? IMO the Mega Drive version pisses on it due to the absence of slowdown and lame top down sections.

I've kept my SFC collection deliberately small, only buying my favourites so i'm quite proud of it. Tempted to get Seiken Densetsu 3 and finish at 15 games.

Comment

Originally posted by nips
                  Camps there is an error with the link!

It will not work for me. It may be GameFAQs, this often occurs with them!
                  GameFAQs don't allow direct linking to their FAQs, you have to select it from their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Treble
                    Camps, my mate is at the end of Actraiser. How the hell do you beat those 7 or 8 bosses? From watching him, it looks nigh-on impossible, even with all the hidden lives and no matter the magic you pick.

I have been playing Smash TV at his house, as well. Now that game truly is ageless.
                    Its not impossible, its just very, very hard. IIRC i managed to refine my technique enough so that i didnt lose a single bit of energy for the first five

Comment

It's probably just cos he's **** at games, Kempy.

Comment

Rampart, or was it SUper Rampart. The single best head to head puzzle boat castle combat game ever.

Comment

We had the 3 player arcade cab in halls first year of uni. Got a LOT of play cos it worked very well after some beers heh...
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Just had a quick go on R-type 3. Waaaaay too rotation happy for my liking.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that Contra on SFC is truly dire? IMO the Mega Drive version pisses on it due to the absence of slowdown and lame top down sections.

I've kept my SFC collection deliberately small, only buying my favourites so i'm quite proud of it. Tempted to get Seiken Densetsu 3 and finish at 15 games.
                              I think you need to read my latest article on the site m8 . I completely fail to see how you can label Contra Spirits "truly dire", even if I agree with some of your points.

The slowdown is bad in places and the top down sections have aged badly (you have to remember they were amazing in their day). I'd recommend the GBA version, it's much more stable and ditches the top down view for more of the side on levels.

As for the comparisons with the Megadrive version, the SFC game is bigger in scope and execution and the two player game is much more complete. I amazed that anyone who has seen the robot boss at the end of level 3 can level this game "truly dire" .

And personally, I wouldn't recommend SD3 despite its reputation. The story isn't bad, but the combat is just mash button X and lacks any of the subtlety of SD2. It's not bad, but it'll disappoint if you've played SD2 all the way through.

Comment

On reading your posts, i dug out my SNES. Cheers. It's fooking top, i'd forgot how much fun i'd had as a kid playing this console. Tonight i played Axelay, F-Zero and StreetFighter2 Turbo and I cheesy grinned through my gaming session and bopped to the tunes. Great Stuff. Tomorrow i'm playing Mario Kart Super Mario Land and Donkey Kong.

Don't forget if the game doesn't load first time.

Just use the magic blow!

Ninja.

Comment

Working...
                                X