X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoxon
    Shemue 2 was badly Dubbed On the Xbox
    Mavel Vs Capcom 2 looks better on the DC
    Its arguable which version of the other games is best but all the other games have rubbish load times on the PS2 and if you have a DC then you should get those games for it.

Most of the saturn games that got "updates" or ports are exactly the same on current gen consoles. So this means you don't NEED them on the saturn when you can pick them up more easily and cheapley on another machine.
    I'm just pointing out that they are available on other formats not just the PS2 which has been the main downfall of the DC library. Many Dreamcast games have also been update or ported to current gen consoles as well. But I'm not going to sit here and argue with you over which port is better.

For example Ikaruga is miles better on the DC than the GC but it still got released on the GC and in Europe and the US, which it didn't on the DC.

The big problem with the Dreamcast is its library of games is only about 600 titles and many of those titles have now been released on other formats. As a fellow DC collector it annoyed me to see it's games being release on every format under the sun. Compared to the Saturn's larger library of about 1100 games and a larger number of them remain solely on the Saturn.

Ahh I see Shakey_Jake33 got my point.

Anyway here my Dreamcast recommendation list.

Samba De Amigo Ver 2000
    Giga Wing 2
    Hundred Swords
    Zero Gunner 2
    Border Down
    Dead or Alive 2 LE (Japan only)
    Virtual On OT
    Fire Prowrestling D
    Capcom VS SNK 2
    Marvel Vs Capcom 2
    Tech Romancer
    Spawn ITDH
    Crazy Taxi
    Power Stone 2
    Project Justice
    Mr Driller
    Sega Rally 2
    Mobile Suit Gundam E.F.F Vs Zeon & DX
    KOF 98 (99 Dream Match)
    Cool Cool Toon
    Napple Tale
    Space Channel 5 part 2
    Rez
    Cosmic Smash
    Alien Front Online
    Street Fighter 3rd Strike
    Virtua Tennis
    Shenmue 1 & 2
    Rayman 2
    Worms World Party
    Starlancer
    Soul Calibur
    Maken X
    Evil Twin
    Spiderman
    LOK: Soul Reaver
    MDK2
    House of the Dead 2
    Ecco
    Phantasy Star Online Ver 2
    Grandia 2
    Skies of Arcadia
    Record of Lodoss War
    Evolution 2
    Tokyo Highway Challenge
    Quake III Arena
    Segagaga
    Sliver
    Guilty Gear X
    Ikaruga

By the way you could save in Bug it let you continue from which ever world you got up to not stages however. You could also use the level select code as well if you didn?t want to replay levels.

If you didn't get to the later levels you would have missed out on the great underwater world, playing tennis with an octopus and running from a huge snowball-making yeti. There was also a Sonic cameo as well, I guess will just have to disagree on Bug.
    Last edited by S3M; 11-01-2006, 16:08.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M
      By the way you could save in Bug it let you continue from which ever world you got up to not stages however. You could also use the level select code as well if you didn?t want to replay levels.

If you didn't get to the later levels you would have missed out on the great underwater world, playing tennis with an octopus and running from a huge snowball-making yeti. There was also a Sonic cameo as well, I guess will just have to disagree on Bug.
      Yeah we will, becuase I have been quite far into the game and I still think its absolute crap..

I do agree that the dreamcasts worth has been slightly dimished becuase Of ports. But, then i was never arguing that fact, you said the same point that I leveled at the Saturn could be made towards the DC, but it can't really, as the DC is still pretty much the definitive platform for those games. The Saturn is only truley deffinitive if you love shmups... which I do, so its not like I am complaining or anything, just stating my point.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 11-01-2006, 17:40.

Comment

You could indeed argue that every single one of those titles is superior on the Dreamcast.

I heard SF III third stike is better on the ps2 because of more of the arcade moves included, but I dont think theres much in it.

Comment

Me, i've decided to dig out my copy of Chaos Field and have a quick go.

I still absolutely love it to this day - Very original shoot-em-up in my opinion.

Comment

The Saturn is only truley deffinitive if you love shmups...
            An opinion, surely? I love my Saturn for the still-excellent arcade ports, 2D games, RPG's and Capcom's output. I'm not really into shumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
              An opinion, surely? I love my Saturn for the still-excellent arcade ports, 2D games, RPG's and Capcom's output. I'm not really into shumps.
              Well yeah ok its my opinion. But besides Sega Rally what other arcade ports are still worth it? I'm not arguibng here, just asking.

Not talking about things like Virtua Fighter 2 either becuase we have the 4th one now which is better. Though again that might just be my opinion, heh.

Comment

Virtua cop 1 and 2!

Comment

Well yeah ok its my opinion. But besides Sega Rally what other arcade ports are still worth it? I'm not arguibng here, just asking.

Not talking about things like Virtua Fighter 2 either becuase we have the 4th one now which is better. Though again that might just be my opinion, heh.
                  Well all the ST-V games for a start are worth owning and have stood the test of time.

Baku Baku, Die Hard Arcade, All Japan Pro Wrestling, Radiant Slivergun, Winter Heat, Athlete Kings, Virtua Fighters Kids.

Winter Heat & Athlete Kings are about two of the best track & field games ever made. So easy to use and great fun with some friends, I have yet to find a better track & field game.

Other Arcade ports that hold up well,
                  Daytona USA CE (Japanese Version) UK version was rubbish & 2001 has handling issues and doesn't feel like Daytona.
                  Fighting Vipers (Much better than 2), UK & US versions have cuts.
                  Last Bronx, (Ace Weapon fighter)
                  Virtual On,
                  Bust a Move 2 (About the best in the series, better than 3 & 4)
                  Dead or Alive (The only one that feel like a true fighter in the series) After the first game Dead or Alive became solely about girls with big breast.

Bad ports
                  House of the Dead (Second game kills it)
                  Virtua Fighters (Second, third, fourth games kill it)
                  Mortal Kombat 2 (Rubbish, no sound effects and loading times! SNES version is better)
                  Manx TT, Touring Car & Virtua Racing (Some people like them some don't, I myself don't think much of any of them)

I've tried to avoid the SNK and Capcom games.

Can't remember if Steep Slope Sliders was an arcade game or not, but I think it's the best snowboard game around. 1080 not bad but I still prefer SSS.

Comment

Suprised at the lack of love for the Manx TT port. Constant 30fps, very little clipping, nice draw distance, and graphically it's on-par with Sega Rally, running at a much faster pace. Very faithful to the arcade game.
                    The game itself can be a pain to play in terms of handling, but use the analogue pad and external camera and your good to go. I can only praise the port.

Comment

Zombier revenge is a fantastic Dc game imo, buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M
                        Bad ports

Can't remember if Steep Slope Sliders was an arcade game or not, but I think it's the best snowboard game around. 1080 not bad but I still prefer SSS.
                        House of the Dead may look **** but it's a blast to play !! I like it more than the 2nd one. By the way, Steep Slop Sliders was released in the Japanese arcades by Cave. Probably running on STV hardware.

The Saturn still has **** loads of great games that many of you have probably never heard of since they are either lost and forgotten classics that were around when the Saturn was main stream or just never heard of full stop. For example, how many people here know of the following (without looking on my site) Asuka 120%, Sonic Council, Gals Panic SS, Kururin Pa!, Ninpen manmaru, Pastel Muses, Quovadis 2, Suiko Enbu, Tengai Makyou: Daishi no Mokushiroku The Apocalypse IV, Dina airan and so on. they are all great games that you never hear anyone talking about. The ones mentioned above are just a small selection of Saturn games that have remained Saturn only titles. Then you have the likes of the Langrisser series, Mass Destruction, Nanatsu No Kaze, Puyo Puyo Sun (best version!!), Tetris Plus and more which are also great. Add the countless good shooters, fighters, Neo Geo ports and a few nice platformers (Sonic Jam anyone?) and you have yourself one hell of an overlooked system. It's just a shame that the Dreamcast didn't work out as well as the Saturn I find it hard looking for good DC games now since I own most of the none simulation ones but for Saturn I can still find gems all the time even though I own over 500 or maybe 600 titles.

Yakumo

Comment

Most recent saturn games i got were
                          real bout collection
                          streetfighter the movie
                          groove on fight

Real bout is ace well worth getting.Groove on fight is pretty good i did get bored with it fairly quickly though.Street fighter the movie i got because i really like the arcade version.The conversion is really terrible though nowhere near as good as the arcade.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
                            House of the Dead may look **** but it's a blast to play !! I like it more than the 2nd one. By the way, Steep Slop Sliders was released in the Japanese arcades by Cave. Probably running on STV hardware.

The Saturn still has **** loads of great games that many of you have probably never heard of since they are either lost and forgotten classics that were around when the Saturn was main stream or just never heard of full stop. For example, how many people here know of the following (without looking on my site) Asuka 120%, Sonic Council, Gals Panic SS, Kururin Pa!, Ninpen manmaru, Pastel Muses, Quovadis 2, Suiko Enbu, Tengai Makyou: Daishi no Mokushiroku The Apocalypse IV, Dina airan and so on. they are all great games that you never hear anyone talking about. The ones mentioned above are just a small selection of Saturn games that have remained Saturn only titles. Then you have the likes of the Langrisser series, Mass Destruction, Nanatsu No Kaze, Puyo Puyo Sun (best version!!), Tetris Plus and more which are also great. Add the countless good shooters, fighters, Neo Geo ports and a few nice platformers (Sonic Jam anyone?) and you have yourself one hell of an overlooked system. It's just a shame that the Dreamcast didn't work out as well as the Saturn I find it hard looking for good DC games now since I own most of the none simulation ones but for Saturn I can still find gems all the time even though I own over 500 or maybe 600 titles.

Yakumo
                            Yeah, House of the Dead is still fun to play and the gameplay was untouch, but the graphic, sound and bugs just let it down. Mind you not bad for a port done in about 6 months.

Thanks for the Steep Slop Sliders info.

Yakumo I did mention a few of the games you mentioned in one of my previous posts, Tengai Makyou: Daishi no Mokushiroku The Apocalypse IV great RPG. Pastel Muses is a great puzzle game and Nanatsu No Kaze has to have some of the best graphic's on the Saturn (bit stuck on it however at the moment). A few of the games I haven't heard of however and at some point i'll have to get some pointers on some of the lesser known Japanese titles.

Glad to see you also like Quovadis 2, it's and interesting mech game and very different to the first Quovadis game.

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                            Suprised at the lack of love for the Manx TT port. Constant 30fps, very little clipping, nice draw distance, and graphically it's on-par with Sega Rally, running at a much faster pace. Very faithful to the arcade game.
                            The game itself can be a pain to play in terms of handling, but use the analogue pad and external camera and your good to go. I can only praise the port.
                            I tried to get into it and it has to be said the graphic and frame rate are excellent. The problem is it's unplayable with a normal joypad and the steeling wheel, some of the camera views don't work and the AI is terrible, it's hit and miss if you win races. Slow car booster is on all the time in arcade mode, so one minute your miles behind everyone next your back in the lead only to watch as your oppenents races past you at inhuman speeds.

It just not racing when that happens, in Sega Rally and Daytona US its your skill that lets you win races in Manx TT it's if and when you get a Slow car booster.
                            Last edited by S3M; 12-01-2006, 09:54.

Comment

House of the dead i thought looked dodgy.But was fun to play.

I wonder though why they gave it to tantulus to convert though
                              Think tantulus also converted manx tt.

Another must have game virtua cop possible one of the first games that made me realize how addictive getting scores could be
                              Last edited by eastyy; 12-01-2006, 10:00.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M
                                Well all the ST-V games for a start are worth owning and have stood the test of time.

Baku Baku, Die Hard Arcade, All Japan Pro Wrestling, Radiant Slivergun, Winter Heat, Athlete Kings, Virtua Fighters Kids.

Winter Heat & Athlete Kings are about two of the best track & field games ever made. So easy to use and great fun with some friends, I have yet to find a better track & field game.

Other Arcade ports that hold up well,
                                Daytona USA CE (Japanese Version) UK version was rubbish & 2001 has handling issues and doesn't feel like Daytona.
                                Fighting Vipers (Much better than 2), UK & US versions have cuts.
                                Last Bronx, (Ace Weapon fighter)
                                Virtual On,
                                Bust a Move 2 (About the best in the series, better than 3 & 4)
                                Dead or Alive (The only one that feel like a true fighter in the series) After the first game Dead or Alive became solely about girls with big breast.

Bad ports
                                Virtua Fighters (Second, third, fourth games kill it)
                                Mortal Kombat 2 (Rubbish, no sound effects and loading times! SNES version is better)
                                Manx TT, Touring Car & Virtua Racing (Some people like them some don't, I myself don't think much of any of them)

I've tried to avoid the SNK and Capcom games.

For the first few games mentioned, Radiant Silvergun is the only one that was ever a proper GOOD game (just a shame about its current price).. Athlete kings is fun i guess, but all those others get boring in about 10 seconds.

I would also probabaly agree with all the rest if I didnt think the likes of fighting vipers and last bronx were crap to begin with.

I also dont think dead or alive is anywhere near as good as the latter insalments as besides looking ****, its just no where near as fluid or fun to play for me.

Bust a Move 2, you can get the playstation version (which I think is the same?) and it works on a PS2, so I wouldnt say many people need a saturn for that either.

I would agree with you on all the bad ports though

In fact Daytona CE is a bad port/update, even the jap version and so I'd knock that off too as the original is the only one that actually plays like the arcade, but that looks so bad that i doubt most people could stomache it.

Actually the only game i'd actually say you would want a saturn for on that list is house of the dead suprisingly enough.

Of course all that is still in my opinion, but I really dont think any of those games are essential or worth owning a saturn for.
                                Last edited by rmoxon; 12-01-2006, 10:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X