No announcement yet.

Retro racers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega Rally (SS), Time Trial, music set to 'Reckless Running'. Heaven . Also, Daytona (SS) with the 'Sky High' tune. Mmm-mmm-mm-m-mmm!

Comment

Sega's where it's always been for me for retro racers... the likes of Daytons, Outrun, Sega Rally, Virtua Racing are as fun today as they were in the day, and in my view are better than more 'expansive' games like GT. Heck, even the likes of Hang-On and Monaco GP hold their own.

Always did have a soft spot for F-Zero mind, I agree it's better than Mario Kart. An online F-Zero would be dreamy.

Comment

I'm a right idiot, as you lot already know, but of the non-big name racers I used to enjoy, I really liked World Driver Championship and SCARS on N64.

World Driver Championship must have taken me about a month to finish in among playing other stuff but for some reason I played SCARS solid all the way through without touching anything else and did that in a week or so. Both pretty good fun. If you've not played World Driver Championship, definitely check it out, but not on an emulator coz emulators are rubbish.

Comment

Oh and Diddy Kong Racing. What a game. Played that non-stop until it was done too, plus hard adventure mode. A real cracker, like this month's Retro Gamer rightly says.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem
            I admire his guts for picking the Twin Norita in the first clip

(usually I was winning away with the Fire Stingray)
            Best car in the game unless you're teh powerslider/snaker, so 'he' tells me. Night Thunder or perhaps Blood Hawk would be a good second choice. But sliding is a must. Oops, I almost started going OT there...

Originally posted by MartyG
            As mention already, Stunt Car Racer is an absolute gem of a game. There's been a massive thread on that title in this forum a while back. I'm not a huge fan of rehashing old games, but I'd love to see a modern day sequel.
            Any I've seen approach SCR go for the track angle, ignoring the obvious physics on offer; the seat of your pants ride skimming along the edge of a track, nailing the ski jump or whatever. They should take the handling/weight model from Richard Burns Rally and shove one of them in a SCR-style track

I forget about Speccy Chase HQ. I reckon Turbo Esprit counts, easily. What an immense game.
            Last edited by Commander Marklar; 10-02-2006, 23:15. Reason: sepillng ;)

Comment

Road Rash hasn't been mentioned yet. I wasted many an hour on the original MD game years back. Stonking game, back when EA were known for quality. The password system was balls though, and frequnetly meant going all the way to the start.

I never played 2 or 3 but would be interested if they improved the formula.

The 3DO version was flipping brilliant at the time, one of only a handful of good games on the system.

There was another PS1 version but I remember thinking it was toss with a broken fighting engine. The N64 had some appeal but again suffered from bad (as in no) collision detection.

Comment

Originally posted by vertigo
                Oh and Diddy Kong Racing. What a game. Played that non-stop until it was done too, plus hard adventure mode. A real cracker, like this month's Retro Gamer rightly says.
                Oh man, i forgot diddy, how could I, my youngest brother and I played that game for literally years, and completed adventure mode too, and it did get tricky on the second time round. (reverse silver coin challenge, Good ****ing grief!)

Diddy kong racing is flipping fantastic!

(we dusted it down not so long ago but our n64 had an issue with the control pads *sigh*)
                Last edited by ShadowDancer; 11-02-2006, 00:39.

Comment

Racing games eh?
                  Here's a few which haven't been mentioned that I really enjoy(ed):
                  Crazy Cars III - PC
                  Scud Race - Arcade
                  Micro Machines 2 - MegaDrive
                  Tokyo Highway Challenge - Dreamcast
                  Street Racer - SNES
                  Grand Prix Circuit - PC
                  Wipeout - Playstation
                  Last edited by Julio III; 11-02-2006, 01:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick
                    Indeed, the Amiga was home to this legend for starters.

Stunt Car Racer

You genuinely shat yourself when you took off some of those jumps! Awesome V8 engine effects too.

YOu said it mate !! I remember playing this in a friends house all the time. Wonderful games plus you could make your very own courses as far as I remember !

Personal Console best racers would be
                    SFC - F-Zero (Hated Mario "cheating" Kart), Astro AGO GO
                    MD - Test Drive 2 the Duel and Super Monaco GP
                    SAT - Power Drift, Sega Rally and Daytona USA (Original)
                    MegaCD - err, Batman Returns driving sections
                    I also remember some overhead racer by Gileco (not Jaleco) in the arcades which kicked arse !

Yakumo
                    Last edited by Yakumo; 11-02-2006, 02:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo
                      I also remember some overhead racer by Gileco (not Jaleco) in the arcades which kicked arse !
                      Great 1000 Miles Rally? Used to play that one all the time until the place got rid of it. Great game, that...

Comment

NFS 3do rocked! such a great game at the time, of course when ridge racer psx came out it was all over, but that minute period where 3DO was on top

YEAH TRIP ETC

Comment

Racing games i remember

Road rash 1 and 2 (never played 3)

lotus esprit challenge (and the sequels)

pole position

outrun

Micro machines 2 for the megadrive that built in ports on the cartridge was a genius idea

Stunt racer fx for the snes i really liked that remember admiring the views on the tracks

(super) skidmarks for the amiga

Kickstart 2 for the spectrum (think it was based on a tv program)

Cannot remember the exact name ironman something i think it was a similar type of viewpoint to skidmarks think the arcade version had 4 players
                          Last edited by eastyy; 11-02-2006, 10:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri
                            Great 1000 Miles Rally? Used to play that one all the time until the place got rid of it. Great game, that...
                            if you like that check Mille Migllia on ps1, as Great 1000 mile rally was inspired by the same italian road race. Ps1 MM is like the great 1000 mile rally in 3d.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow
                              NFS 3do rocked! such a great game at the time, of course when ridge racer psx came out it was all over, but that minute period where 3DO was on top

YEAH TRIP ETC
                              3DO Need For Speed was awesome, and impressed me for many years after its 1994 release.

The title has a great physics engine, with good weighty cars, and a real feeling of danger as you drive 200mph. I like everything about this title, me and my mates used to play it all the time.

If only the devs had got a chance to develop a sequel for the machine. We all know that machines get pushed further, but the 3DO died so quick, we never got a chance to see it pushed.

The sequels for the PS1 were light-weight arcade style rubbish imo!

Comment

Rad Racer

One of my first ever games!

Comment

Working...
                                X