No announcement yet.

Retro racers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I quite liked Need For Speed 2 on PS1 even though it was graphically inferior to the first one and was very hard to love gameplay-wise. Had some nice, unusual atmospheric tracks to race around. Not a classic though, by a long shot.

Comment

i used to love rc pro am on the nes simple fun and cool to play

Comment

Originally posted by kingston lj

Definitely one of the best games ever!
        It sounds/Looks fine alright but you cant be serious with that last statement?

Unless by One of you mean one of the top 100?

Who made it?

Comment

Think it was geoff crammond who made it

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_nintendo
            It sounds/Looks fine alright but you cant be serious with that last statement?

Unless by One of you mean one of the top 100?

Who made it?
            Top 100 lists don't really work. Games are all about personal taste at the end of the day. It just happens to be that great games are usually respected by lots of people.

I know this sounds nuts to a lot of people, but I would rather play 2-Player Stunt Car Racer than Burnout Revenge. SCR still looks nice, and plays well. A proper sequel by Crammond would obviously improve the game, but sadly that looks unlikely to happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski
              i used to love rc pro am on the nes simple fun and cool to play

I was playing this a few months back, and it's still the simple, but fun game it's always been.

Last edited by Leon Retro; 13-02-2006, 00:32.

Comment

One of my favourite early PS1 games is MotorToonGP2. I really enjoyed this title. It has good graphics, nice design, and there's something addictive about it. Sure... it isn't perfect, but it's definitely one of the better PS1 titles.

Comment

It's already been mentioned in this thread but I don't think enough can be said about Micro Machines - 1, 2 and '98 (or was it '96?). So simple and yet so damn fun! And the cartridge with the extra controllers ports was total genius (didn't Codemasters have to fight a legal battle for those?). Very simple to learn yet so challenging later on, I hardly think these games have been beaten in terms of fun racers. And fantastic multiplay that really encouraged dirty tactics. Great all round.

Comment

I'm a massive driving game fan, so I've played many in my time. Just a few of my favourite retro games are:

Grand Prix 3 (PC) - Perfect simulation.

Colin McRae 1 & 2 (PS1) - I played no. 2 for about 2 years after release, just loved the ridiculously hard expert mode.

Stunt Car Racer (Amiga) - Why won't they remake this?

Comment

Originally posted by seany1979
                      Thrash Rally on the Neo geo and of course Neo Drift Out - both superb racers.
                      Got both of those, they're fantastic. Neo Drift Out is better than Thrash Rally though.

And I used to batter Ivan Ironman Stewart's Super Offroad too

Comment

Ignition (for PC) is one of the best racers out there ever, and terribly underrated and overlooked by many. You can find it on the web, it's a must, really and fun, fun, fun!

URL: http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Ignition

and:

Comment

OMG ignition, I rinsed that game it's an amazing title!

Comment

Hold me back!

F355: DC - get arcade game - in no way realistic like everyone says. Speeds round sharp corners are ridiculously slow. Superb 2 player DC link up.

Revs: C64 - first proper sim I ever tried. Variable steering by hitting space bar while steering to speed up rate of turn. Totally rock hard, but so good when you got it right.

Fatal Racing: PC - anyone who missed out on this is missing out big time. Hilarious 2 player gaming. Moving ramps sending you straight up vertically if you timed it wrong.

Vendetta: C64 - mixture between chasehq and last ninja. Probably awful now, but at the time seemed awesome.

Car and Driver: PC - model your own car and discover it's no fun. Increase horsepower until the car shakes itself around at tickover... Lower centre of gravity so cornering happens at any speed. Hours of experimentation.

Vette: PC - drive your corvette across town. Run over the cows. Chinatown was recognisable because the people had yellow faces... I kid you not

Carmageddon: PC - yes, this was very fun in network play.

Top Gear Rally: N64 - Sega Rally beating driving model, let down by inability to actually see anything through the murky haze. Ace fun if you could ignore the gfx.

World Drive Championship: N64 - Sunlight flickering through the gaps in buildings, beautiful scenery, VERY tight racing. Superb track design. Made everything on the the PS1 look pap.

Grand Prix Legends: PC - Any game that shows people firing through hedges in old grandprix cars gets top marks. It has the most fulfilling handling model of any driving game ever. Tough but fair.

Grand Prix (1,2,3,4): PC - GP 1 was identical to the amiga version and totally playable. GP2 was stunning - with options affecting car setup to an extent where tiny changes made all the difference. GP3 and GP4 were PC rapers.

F1GPII: N64 - With the expansion pack, this was super smooth at ALL times and with the wheel was a joy to drive. Best console F1 game I've tried.

Ridge Racer: Arcade - Although the console versions and following arcade versions were good, none had the impact of the original arcade game. Totally revolutionary speed and thrills.

Indy500: PC - First driving game I ever saw with particle based accidents, with bit flying everywhere. Drive the wrong way round the oval - everyone will try this.

Indycar: PC - astonishingly good at the time. Replays from a variety of camera angles and brilliant driving fun. Hackable car models, with 436mph achieveable (gears ran out), and then tyres wore out very fast

Megarace: PC - CDrom game - totally pants.

Comment

I liked Penny Racers on the PS1. I thank the lord four of the sequels are out on PAL PS2. RC de Go on PS1 is good, too.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
                                Hold me back!

Top Gear Rally: N64 - Sega Rally beating driving model, let down by inability to actually see anything through the murky haze. Ace fun if you could ignore the gfx.

World Drive Championship: N64 - Sunlight flickering through the gaps in buildings, beautiful scenery, VERY tight racing. Superb track design. Made everything on the the PS1 look pap.
                                Top Gear Rally was a really nice game back in the day. I liked the handling model, and the graphics weren't too bad. It was way too bland though, but I remember enjoying it for many months.

World Driver Championship is rubbish though. I wanted it to be good, but the cars handled and felt like breeze blocks. The visuals looked quite good, but moved very poorly. Overall.. it was a real let-down!

Now some of my favourite N64 racers:

Lamborghini: This had amazing graphics for its time; clear, sharp and much better than anything else. I really enjoyed everything about it!

Top Gear Overdrive: This was one of the last, and most amazing N64 racers. Upon release it was without doubt the most impressive display of N64 power I had seen. The game moved and felt a bit dodgy, but once you got used to it, it was a gripping title.

Comment

Working...
                                X