Gradius V - Discussion [16th Feb - end of March]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was playing this last night

always the same pattern i do 2 speed ups then the laser then a bit then a missile then the maximum bits

i try to defeat the first boss before it starts rotating

i have to say after playing cave shooters i found this game alot easier

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post
      The size and location of the Vic Viper's hitbox is displayed on this Japanese website along with level maps.
      Good find!

Comment

Wow, didn't know BGR-44 had a site. That guy's something special. Tviks (a Finnish player) is probably a tad more inhuman, though!

The first boss is easy enough to beat before he starts rotating (new players might want to ignore the ring of turrets at first, although they do carry decent points), but apparently if you just leave him for a while and allow the background to pan around, you get to see that planet Gradius actually has a moon! [/geek]
        Last edited by Klatrymadon; 16-02-2007, 08:52.

Comment

You've been a member for over a year. Unless you ONLY play Gradius, what's your excuse for not posting more. You clearly know a thing or two. Unless you just know 2 things.

Comment

Haha, I tend to stay at the 'retro' board, although I don't actually post much there, either. I just pop up to lay on the Super Metroid/Castlevania IV/general shmup worship wherever possible...

I do know more than two things, though, aye!
            Last edited by Klatrymadon; 16-02-2007, 09:00.

Comment

I'm in with this one....I freakin LOVE LOVE LVEO Gradius V

But i never finished it...im really not that good at shmups..even though i love them so....

My advice to new comers is to NOT use an arcade stick.....

Really...I got a lovely Hori stick for my PS2 and use it with shooters like Mushihemasema and Psyvariar 2.....
              Gradius V has full analog support of the sticks...you get great control over your ship using the (****y) Duel shock sticks.....

honest...or am i imagining it?

Comment

I think it controls really well either way after a little adjustment, but I only ever use the sticks for doing sweeps with the Type 2 lasers.

Comment

i thought this game had a real arcade sort of vibe to it like when the cutscenes came in

felt like i was in a arcade

Comment

It was originally developed for the arcades, if I remember correctly. I think it's mentioned on one of the DVDs...
                    Last edited by Klatrymadon; 16-02-2007, 14:41.

Comment

Its my favorite shoot em up and I've never stopped playing it. Still crap at it. From Stage 6 and beyond it gets silly hard. Don't be concerned if you need to get Free Play (instead of credits) to complete, especially the 2nd to last stage!

I would love this to be ported to the PSP

Comment

The 7th level is sheer brilliance. Takes a good while to learn everything, but it's a joy to play when you do.

I'd urge people to use the practice mode instead of free play, though. Learning each bit and then going through it on 1 credit is the most satisfying way to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Klatrymadon View Post
                          It was originally developed for the arcades, if I remember correctly. I think it's mentioned on one of the DVDs...
                          They wanted to do one for the arcades but there simply wasn't enough time. (producer interview on Gradius Breakdown)

Here's my power-up route of choice for the first level, you should break 200k easily if you blow up enough of the Zelos variety.

Speed -> Speed -> Option -> Laser -> Option (or missile with EDIT type)
                          Shield should be the last thing you get to maximize fire power.

Comment

Aye, can't go wrong, really.

We might as well start throwing out general tips to get people talkin'. Any newcomers who are having trouble with level 4 (something of a watershed in terms of difficulty) might want to try switching to Double for most of it. You'll find that you can more aggressively clear away the slime 'bullets' and whatnot, especially if you're using Type 1 and pull your options/multiples close to you. Mind you, Type 2 players are probably better off sticking with the laser.

Doesn't seem to be much going on yet, though! Oh well, I suppose we do have a month...

Edit: here's an old vid that might give new players some ideas!

Japanese players show clips on how they rock the GRADIUS V House
                            Last edited by Klatrymadon; 17-02-2007, 14:25.

Comment

The game mechanics are simply incredible! First shooter I've really played, and once I'd realised a few little things, and remapped the controls, I've enjoyed it immensely.

On just 3 lives I've not managed to beat the stage 1 boss. I take out his turrets fine, then do i just have to apply massive damage to the one part left firing, like by lining up all my lasers? I have beaten him a couple of times, but It doesn't seem to always work. Unless the HP changes..

Anyway, so far!

Comment

Aye, that's how you do it. If you want him out of the way as quickly as possible, just line up your options with his core as soon as he enters the screen, and keep your eye on the ring lasers etc, and he should be gone before he even gets a chance to rotate.

After a while, you'll be able to take all the turrets out and kill him that quickly.

Funnily enough, I didn't even think of aiming for the turrets when I first played it. I guess since every Gradius boss has always had a core (or cores), I stopped thinking laterally about how to disarm him...

Comment

Working...
                                X