Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SFC: Super Ghouls n Ghosts

Guys,

I have bought the capcom classics collection for PSP and I am finding the scrolling really jerky on this game.

Is this a problem with the PSP emulation, or was it just a bit crap?

The megadrive version (My first import game in '89!) had silcky smooth scrolling and felt "Faster".

I remember buying Super GnG on import for the SFC and thought it was the best version yet, but I don't remember it being a bit jerky on the scrolling.

Any comments?

I remember it had really bad slow down on the snes.

Comment

Super ghouls n ghosts was slower than the megadrive one, but never felt jerky in my opinion.

Comment

Nope, that's the PSP for you. I have the Capcom collection on the Saturn and all games move nice and smoothly. Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts did slow down like buggery on the SFC as mentioned mind you.

Yakumo

Comment

Yup. PS1 version doesn't jerk either. Or GBA.

Comment

I own the PAL PS2 'Capcom Classics Collection' and all three of the G&G games judder when scrolling horizontally. It's not a major issue, but it's puzzling when the versions on Capcom Generations on PS1 DON'T judder(!)

Comment

On a side note Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts has some of the greatest video game music ever.

Comment

^I agree - it also 'feels' great, with wonderful 'chacky' sound effects and that beautiful double-jump.

Comment

really nice box art too. i think it was one of those games that once completed i didnt play much again.

Comment

You completed it ??? I couldn't even get past the first level

Comment

That is one TOUGH game. No I mean REALLY tough. Or maybe I'm just bad at it..

Comment

Its also very poor and vastly overrated imo . The MD version of GnG is just better in everyway , even the music for me . The MD tunes onthe 1st stage is one of the greatest music score ever written , way beter than any of the tunes inthe Snes or Arcade version .

I really can't understand why this and Area 88 get so much respect , they were very poor . Now Contra III and SuperCastlevaina onthe other hand pissed on the MD versions ,

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post

I really can't understand why this and Area 88 get so much respect , they were very poor . ,
                          Don't let the Mega Drive biased cloud your judgment. Yeah... both games had a bit of slowdown, but they were excellent, and still are.

SGNG has fantastic sharp visuals, great looking sprites, lots of colours and effects, and still impresses after all these years. The music is nice too. The good points outway the bad, even though it's too tough for most gamers.

Area88 is a wonderful shooter. Once again, the visuals are very sharp and well drawn, it plays well, and the sound is great. It doesn't constantly get mentioned as one of the best SNES games for nothing.

The only big name snes games that really shocked me with slowdown were GradiusIII and Super R-Type. Most devs learnt to overcome the problem, but even when it did appear in some games, it didn't cripple the experiences.

I can fully understand why you prefer the MD version though. It's technically great, plays really well, and is a must-have title for the system.

These days, everyone can own both, let's be positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                            Don't let the Mega Drive biased cloud your judgment. Yeah... both games had a bit of slowdown, but they were excellent, and still are.

SGNG has fantastic sharp visuals, great looking sprites, lots of colours and effects, and still impresses after all these years. The music is nice too. The good points outway the bad, even though it's too tough for most gamers.

Its not the graphics that are at fault, the 2nd stage (ship ) is stunning with its use of colour inthe grey , but the game doesn't play as a well, move or flow as well and the music wasn't a patch onthe MD version .
                            Now I remember MeanMachines, and more so Frank O'Connor rewiew in CVG just going ape over the game , so much so that I asked mum to splash out some ?60 quid on getting me the import game (she almost went nuts) , as I loved the Mega Drive version so much, I thought it wouldn't get any better than this .

Boy was I wrong , horrid slowdown ,and a game just never played or moved as well as the MD version and the music was just a massive letdown . Nothing to do with MD bias , as I've always rated the Snes more , I can't bare to look at the MD versions of Castlevania and Contra as they are soo Poor in comparison to the Snes versions , but Ghost N Ghouls ontheMD is for me the best version of the game , be that Arcade or Snes .

And as for Area 88 I still remember this so well , I bought it brand New at Wollworths and with in the hour finshed the game with lossing about 3 lives , and took the game straight back and got a full refund.

The game was boring, slow and piss easy, Super R Type for me was a much better game

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              Its not the graphics that are at fault, the 2nd stage (ship ) is stunning with its use of colour inthe grey , but the game doesn't play as a well, move or flow as well and the music wasn't a patch onthe MD version .
                              Now I remember MeanMachines, and more so Frank O'Connor rewiew in CVG just going ape over the game , so much so that I asked mum to splash out some £60 quid on getting me the import game (she almost went nuts) , as I loved the Mega Drive version so much, I thought it wouldn't get any better than this .

Boy was I wrong , horrid slowdown ,and a game just never played or moved as well as the MD version and the music was just a massive letdown . Nothing to do with MD bias , as I've always rated the Snes more , I can't bare to look at the MD versions of Castlevania and Contra as they are soo Poor in comparison to the Snes versions , but Ghost N Ghouls ontheMD is for me the best version of the game , be that Arcade or Snes .

And as for Area 88 I still remember this so well , I bought it brand New at Wollworths and with in the hour finshed the game with lossing about 3 lives , and took the game straight back and got a full refund.

The game was boring, slow and piss easy, Super R Type for me was a much better game
                              I've never felt that GG on the snes plays badly. It's not perfect, but from what you've written, I can understand why you like the MD version a lot more.

I've never liked Super R-Type, it didn't seem to be made with much love or passion. I just didn't feel any good vibes from it.

On the other hand, Area88 really impressed me in all areas. It's still an enjoyable experience, and not too easy. I think most snes fans really rate it.

Axelay is by far my favourite snes shooter though. Macross Scrambled Valkyrie is pretty awesome too.

Pop'n Twinbee is a snes shooter I really like. Not only are the visuals nice, but the music is some of the best I've heard from the machine. A really feel good shooter.

Comment

Working...
                              X