SFC: Super Ghouls n Ghosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post

Axelay is by far my favourite snes shooter though.

I'm a big fan of Axelay too, Super Aleste was a nice shooter too . To me a shooter needs to give you a buzz and get the heart pumping with a pumping soundtrack and gameplay that tests the reflexes , Area 88 had none of that and I really don't get why people race about it That said I never understood why people raved about Thunder Force III onthe MD, I thought that was pretty dire as well.

Comment

And what difficulty were you playing Area88 on? I dunno if they lowered it for the Western release but it's rock at the top! Love the game... along with Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. And yes I did beat it on Normal back in the day

Capcom (almost) could do no wrong on the SNES...
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

you have to remember gradius and rtype were very early snes games. programmers had yet to master it. aleste was awesome, huge bosses. axelay was great ambition by konami but it did suffer from slowdown. area 88 was just a bit slow for me. and i really dont like 1 hit death shooters.

Comment

I actually prefer a bit of slowdown in blaster's especially if it's going to help you out in one of them impossible hard spot's.

Gradius 3 on snes is probably the best example of this as it offer's you a more forgiving game. And if someone really can't stand the slowdown they alway's have the arcade version on offer anyway.

Slowdown in games were your character jump's like Super G"n"G can be off putting though.

Comment

Originally posted by kevkev View Post
            area 88 was just a bit slow for me. and i really dont like 1 hit death shooters.
            But Area88 wasn't one hit kill... okay so it wasn't hyper hyper quick either, but I like a thinking shooter, about what you need to use next to get through. Tactics. Loved the music as well, probably why I have it on my hard drive here

Comment

Oddly I found super ghouls n ghosts 'easier' than area 88. I still have never finished area 88 to this day, yet I have finished SGNG. I love everything about area 88. Great graphics, amazing music and some stunning levels. It's easily in my top 15 games of all time, if not my top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
                Oddly I found super ghouls n ghosts 'easier' than area 88. I still have never finished area 88 to this day, yet I have finished SGNG.
                Odd. I can do Area 88 on one life on hard, yet I can't get off level 3 on SG&G!!!

Comment

Aye. My gaming powers work in mysterious ways.....

Comment

I managed both on Normal... so somewhere in between

Comment

Ahh man you know Seany loves the G+G games.

In terms of difficulty, I would say Super G+G is the easiest in the entire series, bar the PSP title. I can finish it no bother and always have been able to - whereas I am reduced to tears regularly by the first and second in the series. That said it is still a blinding game, the music and graphics are lovely and I did the new armour upgrade feature. It is significantly slower than the first two games, but then it is to be played slightly more methodically due to the double jump.

Comment

Sega master system is the easiest one by far. I finished on my first shot back when I was still at school.

Comment

Been getting stuck into the orginal arcade game on the PSP last few days. It really is a lovely looking game! I hand't appreciated the difference in detail between CPS1 and MD.

Funny thing though, the actual gameplay of the MD just seems perfect, and I think that's my favorite. Of the games I own, my list in order of preference would be:

GnG (Megadrive NTSC)
                          SGnG (SFC)
                          GnG (CPS1)
                          UGnG (PSP)

I feel the MD version is so fast and smooth, it feels kind'a slick and fair. If you have a tricky section, like the "Devil Mouths" your failure feels fair. The SFC game seems a bit twitchy for my liking.

But perhaps most of all, removing the ability to shoot/up down in SGnG was a serious mistake IMHO.

The control and enjoyment of jumping and shooting enemies above/below you is sublime. Really really great.

I love my Next Gen games, but the entire Ghouls and Ghosts collection is a joy, even today.

Comment

As a side question, how was the SgnG conversion on GBA?

Might be worth an ebay for the DS? Is it graphically the same as the SFC?

Comment

I think it's pretty close. You can do saves as well so it's not as harsh as the SFC version.

Comment

It is very well done IMO. It also has a funky arrange mode that incvorporates some of the levels from the earlier games and is well worth picking up.

If you ever get a chance to read it I did an article on G+G series in Retro Gamer a while back if you are a fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X