SFC: Super Ghouls n Ghosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
    It is very well done IMO. It also has a funky arrange mode that incvorporates some of the levels from the earlier games and is well worth picking up.

If you ever get a chance to read it I did an article on G+G series in Retro Gamer a while back if you are a fan.

Yes, I'd really love to read that! Which issue Seany?

Ghosts and Goblins on the speccy was my first in the series, and then in 89 we got the import MD with Ghouls and Ghosts and Thunderforce II.

The music on level one of GnG and the graphics were just so ahead of my expectations.

The fact I still find the game equally enjoyable nearly two decades later must mean one thing: It's a "Master" of the games world.

Comment

The piece was in issue 29:

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        I Super Aleste was a nice shooter too .
        Super Aleste blew me away back in the day. It's got a PC-Engine sort of vibe about it, but with all the nice things the SFC can do. The fact that it's a joy to play as well, makes it one of my favourite SFC titles.

The American name has to be one of the worst ever: "Space Megaforce"

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
          Super Aleste blew me away back in the day. It's got a PC-Engine sort of vibe about it, but with all the nice things the SFC can do. The fact that it's a joy to play as well, makes it one of my favourite SFC titles.

Oh yes My jaw hit the floor playing this game, loved the mode 7 2nd stage too . Fantasic shooter , and yes the US name sucked ass.

Comment

Super Aleste blew me away back in the day. It's got a PC-Engine sort of vibe about it
            It was by Compile, who also did Gunhed and infact, the games share quite a few things in common. Probably the true Gunhed sequel.

Comment

Really "dug" the cheesy intro to the US version as it blasted out speech wise "Spaaaaace Megaforceeeeee! Presented by Toho..."
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Superfamifreak View Post
                It was by Compile, who also did Gunhed and infact, the games share quite a few things in common. Probably the true Gunhed sequel.
                I guessed it was, because it's just like Gunhed etc... but with Mode7 effects and all the other things the snes offers.

I wish more games like Super Aleste had appeared for the machine.

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                Really "dug" the cheesy intro to the US version as it blasted out speech wise "Spaaaaace Megaforceeeeee! Presented by Toho..."
                Sounds like the dev realised how corny the name is.

Comment

I always thought this game was awesome, especially back in the day. Graphics were far superior to the Megadrive version, and the fact it was a sort of remixed version of the original gave it lots of appeal. The music was also amazing back in the day, the ghost ship level and the snow level in particular.

I guess it may be a nostaglie thing, but I remember playing this on import the day it came out on my Super Famicom..good times!

Comment

Super Aleste is still fantastic now but did you know that the PAL version is WAY too slow in gameplay and music. Also the US and PAL versions have a few game modes missing and some BGM missing however some of the speech was cleaned up quite a lot but you do loose the camp voices of the original The PAL and US versions also have a cut intro and Ending

Talking about Super Aleste, on my Japanese copy I once got up a sort of debug option in the option menus that allowed invincibility ! I have a photo of the options for anyone that may know how to get this option back up. It only ever appeared once.

Yakumo

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post

Talking about Super Aleste, on my Japanese copy I once got up a sort of debug option in the option menus that allowed invincibility ! I have a photo of the options for anyone that may know how to get this option back up. It only ever appeared once.

Yakumo
                      That cheat rings a bell. I guess it's like Axelay; some early copies have an easy cheat, but most copies don't have the invincibility cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                        Super Aleste is still fantastic now but did you know that the PAL version is WAY too slow in gameplay and music. Also the US and PAL versions have a few game modes missing and some BGM missing however some of the speech was cleaned up quite a lot but you do loose the camp voices of the original The PAL and US versions also have a cut intro and Ending

Yakumo
                        Never knew that , I did quite like the speech " I came from a world beyond". Speaking of compille Aleste , I think Robo Aleste is the best inthe series

Comment

Working...
                        X