Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Retro) What have you been playing this week?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-Zero on the Snes for me. I used to think the N64 version was better, but now I'm leaning towards it's older brother.

Comment

I have been playing Goldeneye on the N64. It still plays great, one of the best things in this game is how amazing the guns sound, still loads better than many newer FPS type games. Also got to love the ricochet bullet noise even when there is nothing for it to ricochet off lol.

Comment

Been playing Xenogears on the PSX, 30 odd hours in and still on the first disc Loving every second though, i've got a whole load of PSX RPG's to play through and i'm thinking i should have left this till last as i can't see any of the others matching up to it.

Comment

I've been playing Cotton II , Cotton II Boomerang, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Prikura Daisakusen on the Saturn and seeing as its Christmas a bit of Mario 64 (the Snow level ) and Christmas NiGHTS.

Comment

I think I have to get Christmas Nights on the go too!

Comment

Gah also used to be a tradition of mine, the Xmas tunes and hand drawn intros warm the heart!

Comment

I know the feeling, this will be my first Christmas without NiGHTS in years

Comment

I've been playing Viewpoint on the Neo Geo. Must be nearly 10 years since I last played it and it's no easier than I remember But it's got so much going for it I really don't mind getting my ass kicked so royally. Beyond the obvious, one of my fave things about the game is the obstacle course element in the levels ... even if the shifting landscape can catch you out and mess you up at times. Cracker of a game. Everything about it just works.

Continuing the Neo Geo theme I've been playing some of SNKs Jp PS2 releases; Metal Slugs 3, 4, 5, & 6, and Garou: MOTW. Not had chance to play Slugs 5 & 6 yet but 4 is surprisingly good (I was under the impression they were all rubbish after 3 but I picked 4 up for a daft fiver and it's really good). SNKs Neo Stick 3 completes the experience. It's a great great 'budget' set-up for SNK thrills.

Comment

Donkey Kong: Original Edition

This wasn't on my snazzy new (well second hand) Red Wii like it was supposed to be but 10 mins and an SD card fixed that.

This version is much better than the one I remember playing. I seem to remember the "non-original" version used to go from the "classic" Donkey Kong level to the one with lifts, which I always thought was a massive difficulty curve. Now I see why! There was a missing level (with conveyer belts that switch directions) which is actually really fun.

I may get more into this retro gaming lark. The only pre-Wii games I can ever remember playing so far in my life are Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario, Original Mario, Sonic 2 and some Baseball game with Donkey Kong style graphics that I played for hours and hours :S

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I've been playing Viewpoint on the Neo Geo. Must be nearly 10 years since I last played it and it's no easier than I remember But it's got so much going for it I really don't mind getting my ass kicked so royally. Beyond the obvious, one of my fave things about the game is the obstacle course element in the levels ... even if the shifting landscape can catch you out and mess you up at times. Cracker of a game. Everything about it just works.

Continuing the Neo Geo theme I've been playing some of SNKs Jp PS2 releases; Metal Slugs 3, 4, 5, & 6, and Garou: MOTW. Not had chance to play Slugs 5 & 6 yet but 4 is surprisingly good (I was under the impression they were all rubbish after 3 but I picked 4 up for a daft fiver and it's really good). SNKs Neo Stick 3 completes the experience. It's a great great 'budget' set-up for SNK thrills.
                      I've been hammering Pulstar the past few days... Was really struggling on the first level but then somehow managed to one-life my way all the way up to the beginning of level 4!

After you die and lose all your power-ups it's basically game over.

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
                      I have been playing Goldeneye on the N64. It still plays great, one of the best things in this game is how amazing the guns sound, still loads better than many newer FPS type games. Also got to love the ricochet bullet noise even when there is nothing for it to ricochet off lol.
                      Please play Perfect Dark afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                        I've been hammering Pulstar the past few days... Was really struggling on the first level but then somehow managed to one-life my way all the way up to the beginning of level 4!

After you die and lose all your power-ups it's basically game over.
                        Pulstar is one of my all-time fave hori shooters. Love it to bits. Only ever reached level 3 last time I owned it. Would love it again for the AES one day.

Comment

Been finishing off Hover Strike on the Jag this week. When I first played it I kind of wrote it off for the low frame rate but started playing it properly earlier in the year when it was in the AtariAge high score competition and discovered what a cracking little game was underneath. The hover controls handle really nicely and are pretty textbook demonstrations of how to handle tank based control on a non-dual stick format. Worked my way through the Level 5 stages, much harder than the earlier ones, one level I even finished and it was literally impossible to see my health meter as I was so close to death. Stuck on the final level now though, just can't seem to find the right route through the canyons.

Comment

Well with all the talk about Star Wars The Old Republic has made me nostalgic for the original KOTOR, just started again as a scoundrel , looking forward you can see a lot of design ideas they took to Mass Effect and other games, the voice acting is pretty impresive " most impresive" , only thing this does is make me sant to try Star Wars The Old Republic, but ive such a backlog as it is and only started Skyrim i think i'll wait or pass, now back to killing everybody in site as Darth Malak needs a new apprentice to kill all the Jedi scum.

Comment

River city ransom and Jackal on NES (Xbox emu). Still both pretty enjoyable wee games to play, though I did then turn to the MAME Jackal as I needed the real deal, all these years on it's still awesomely playable.

Comment

So today we had a powercut. So I dug out the old Game Boy, whacked in some new batteries and completed Super Mario Land. What an utter joy. I also smashed some Tetris. Such fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X