WiZ impressions: one week on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WiZ impressions: one week on

As my latest acquisition seemed to generate a bit of interest in the "We want to know..." thread I thought I'd give you my impressions of the console after using it extensively for the last week. I also used my girlfriend's camera to upload a video so you can see it in action.

Right, firstly the controls, which I am mostly happy with. Even though the fire buttons are very close together this has not impeded me in any game other than Super Mario Kart, where it was a little more difficult to tap the power-up button whilst holding down the accelerate button but all this requires is a little roll of the thumb. No biggie once you get used to it but for someone who has played the game so much that they achieve a zen-like autopilot state when playing it, it does affect me slightly. Mind you, the same thing could be said about playing SMK with anything other than a SNES pad. The other issue I have had is that the lack of pivot in the d-pad has prevented me from pulling of moves in fighting games with the ease I'm normally accustomed to. This is something I'm getting used to though and, as my preferred fighting controller is a stick anyway, I was never going to achieve a seamless transition to pad. The shoulder buttons deserve a mention for being perfectly positioned and usable, at least for my hands. The touch-screen, whilst under-used, makes ScummVM an absolute joy to play.

Secondly, the screen. As I mentioned before, the contrast of the OLED screen is simply stunning. Even when playing in complete darkness, blacks are black, and older games with black backgrounds such as Galaga, Space Invaders and Pac-Man look f*cking great. Vector games such as Asteroids and Tempest are worth w*nking over. Someone on a WiZ board described it as being like a CRT display in your pocket... I think it's more than just a CRT as the colours are so bright and vivid. I've never seen the so-called 'muddy' palette of the Megadrive look so colourful and vibrant! So yes, it's amazing *but* I'm sure you may have heard of the diagonal tearing. To be honest I never noticed it at first but as I put more an more ROMs and emulators on the machine I have begun to notice it more. It seems to occur most when the screen updates very quickly, such as when it is quickly flashing before a round in KoF. I haven't really noticed it much whilst scrolling and never with static or slow-moving images. Some emulators are more susceptible to it than others (Picodrive's developer has eliminated it entirely), but there is a script available which can reduce if not eliminate the effect. I feel that the quality of the OLED screen far outweighs this minor flaw, and as a retro-nut whom prefers crisp, colourful displays I'd take this over a sh*tty LCD display any day of the week.

Now we move on to the emulation. Pretty impressive as far as consoles are concerned, not so for arcade. All the usual lot - SNES, Megadive/Mega CD, PC Engine/CD - run amazingly. The SNES emulator requires overclocking for some games with transparencies or mode 7, but as the PC Engine and Megadrive emulators can be underclocked to around 400Mhz this should compensate for any battery life lost whilst playing SNES games. The CPU is clocked at around 560Mhz IIRC, and my unit can be clocked reliably up to 833Mhz. Overclocking is just a case of changing an option in the emulator menu and the setting can be saved individually for each game. Oh yes, arcade games. Most older MAME games run just fine and, as I mentioned earlier, look amazing on the OLED screen. Newer games, however, range between playable with sound and playable without sound. For example, Gradius III had way too much slowdown with sound enabled. The CPS-1/2 emulator is fantastic and games such as Final Fight, SSF2T and Dodonpachi run perfectly. Both MAME and FBA2X (CPS/NeoGeo/Other) support tate mode, in which case the menu button is used as a firebutton. This works well until you need more than one button as the volume controls are used as the additional fire buttons and they're a little awkward to reach.

NeoGeo emulation ranges between perfect and a complete headache. Whilst smaller ROMs such as SamSho 2 and Neo Turfmasters run perfectly using FBA2X, the 64mb RAM of the WiZ makes playing larger ROMs problematic. There is a PC utility which can convert larger ROMs into .fba files and these will run on FBA2X. The downside is that the emulator rips graphics from the SD card on the fly when using these file types, so the speed of emulation depends entirely on the speed of your SD card. Whilst Blazing Star ran fine using this method, Garou: MotW and Metal Slug 3 were choppy. The solution to this is to use another emulator - GnGeo - but this doesn't emulate sound as accurately as FBA2X does and is very fussy when it comes to which ROMs can be used. I've had an absolute nightmare trying to find ROMs that will work with it but now I have some I can tell you that Garou: MotW runs very well on it, as does Slug X but KoF 2000 has missing tiles that show the energy bars. Due to the hassle it is getting ROMs to work, I wouldn't buy a WiZ if I was just intending to play NeoGeo games.

What else? Battery life is decent - it's rated at six hours but my initial charge lasted all week, playing for a couple of hours each day. The unit uses a proprietry USB cable which some might sniff at but it's usable. If anyone has any questions just fire away.

So here's the video then:

I believe the contents of this video have been placed here strictly to annoy me. It looks.............................good.

Comment

Originally posted by ikobo_1 View Post
      I believe the contents of this video have been placed here strictly to annoy me. It looks.............................good.
      Heh, indeed, check out the Youtube page

Comment

I'm thinking i may actually get one. That is if i can find out how easy/difficult it is to convert my PC-Engine CD's in to a a format the machine can play. Or, if you can point me to a "wiz for dummies" page.

Comment

Unfortunately there isn't... the community at the board I use seem rather unwilling to help. But, your friend samanosuke is here to help you should you decide to take the plunge. It's very easy to do full CD rips but you'll need a decent sized SD card.

Comment

This looks like a fantastic bit of kit. May buy myself one for Christmas. I take it that the machine can use up to 32GB SD cards? I'd be playing mostly the 16 bit systems on it so it seems idael for me. Mega CD on the move!! NICE!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              This looks like a fantastic bit of kit. May buy myself one for Christmas. I take it that the machine can use up to 32GB SD cards? I'd be playing mostly the 16 bit systems on it so it seems idael for me. Mega CD on the move!! NICE!
              Yes, up to 32gb, but so far the 16gb I bought has been enough for me. You'll be pleased to know that MD/MCD emulation on the WiZ is absolutely amazing.

Comment

Doh, I think I'm gonna get one to compliment my Dingoo... and GP2X...

Comment

...oh, and where did you order yours from?

Comment

Originally posted by muddy View Post
                    ...oh, and where did you order yours from?
                    I got mine here:

...it's cheaper at Play-Asia but watch out for customs charges:

GP2X Wiz Game SystemColor: BlackPowered by a 533Mhz 3D accelerator plus flash engine12 games embedded in the console including demos for upcoming official games1 gigabyte flash memorySD card supportedOS: LinuxBattery: 2000mAh lithium polymer, loads via USB or A/CSize:121x61x18 mmGP2X is going in the next round with a completely reworked new gadget, the GP2X Wiz! Powered by a 533Mhz 3D flash engine, the GP2X Wiz is the long-awaited update to the beloved Linux based handheld, offering updated multi-media features, a long serving rechargeable battery, a touch screen and a new sleek design. Play games, read e-books, see videos and play music files. Let ...

Comment

This video shows quite a few emulators being played:

Comment

Ordered.

Comment

Mr Lottery winner strikes again

Comment

Mr works away from home in London to earn a decent living you mean?

Comment

Them streets are paved with gold, GOLD I tell ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X