A trip to Japan, buying advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying out to Tokyo tomorrow for 2 whole weeks Just wondering if there's anything I should keep an eye out say PC Engine, MD, Famicom etc etc titles that are expensive to get here but fairly cheap across the sea?

Also is there any particular retro shop I should be keeping an eye out for?

I have no idea, but if you fancy picking a couple of games up for me...............

Comment

Super Potato!

Comment

Super Potato is shop in case you didn't know. It's on the street behind Club SEGA in Akihabara. If you walk down that street you'll probably be able to hear some 8bit music. Look up.

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't actually remember where in Akihabara it was >_>;

Here's a photo I took of the entrance though:

You have to go up the stairs.

EDIT:

You should go to Nakano Broadway too, it has some great places especially the Mandarake stores.

Comment

See if you can find a Super Hard Off, and have a rummage around there.

Comment

Easy, spend loads, max out your cards and take loads of empty suitcases !

Have fun

Comment

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
                Super Potato!
                Oh yes!! Fantastic store. Check out the retro arcade on their top floor!

Enjoy!!!

Comment

You'll probably need a car to get to it though. Still, these places are much cheaper than super potato.

Also akihabara is not the goldmine it use to be. Shops are more wise to the value of retro games but I'm sure you'll have fun all the same. Make sure you check out sofmap next to the sega arcade for cheap saturns(?10) and aes' (?50)though.
                  Last edited by tokyochojin; 20-12-2009, 10:28.

Comment

Super Potato is expensive though.
                    While you are there look out for Crazy Salt. Best condiment in the world!

Comment

I was in Akihabara myself about three weeks ago and can confirm they have wises up to certain things. Games that are popular in the West are waaay over-priced, particularly Nintendo games. Super Mario Bros is one of the most common games in existence but it doesn't stop them flogging it for £20 unboxed! Anything that wasn't released outside Japan or (rightly or wrongly) has a big reputation for rarity and/or being a 'hidden gem' just gets slapped with a big premium - titles like Super Mario RPG, Radiant Silvergun, Mother etc.

I don't want to sound overly negtive though - consoles are a he'll of a lot cheaper to buy there and there are bargains to be had if you put the miles in and shop around before buying anything.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin
                        You'll probably need a car to get to it though. Still, these places are much cheaper than super potato.
                        If you're talking about Nakano Broadway, I remember travelling there by JR...we didn't use any transport other than trains during the trip.

Comment

Think he was refering to the Super Hard Offs......

Nakano Broadway is only a short train ride from Shinjuku, probably had more toy stores than gaming ones tho! Saw some really nice SNES and AES stuff last time but didn't think the prices were any different from Akiba.

Comment

I just want to see a shedload of pics in the "post anytime you get anything retro" thread when he gets back. And i also want to hear how everything cost under a pound, which will then spur me to book a similar holiday myself!

Comment

Not at today's exchange rate you won't mate!

Comment

Working...
                              X