No announcement yet.

N64 Time - Duke Nukem 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you see the rabbit, you'll know what to do!

Comment

Hm? I saw it, and chased it around a bit, but to no avail, then I got bored and jumped into a painting.

I am SO looking forward to Lylat Wars and Ocarina of Time! I've finished Ocarina many many times and know it almost as well as Link's Awakening, but it has that magic that keeps me coming back to it. It won't be out for ages! Lylat Wars I also adore. I love that I can complete it in a couple of hours. I've been playing Starwing for YEARS, and I've never been able to beat Andross. Having said that, I don't think I've ever managed to get a single medal on LW, so that will be my mission this time That is one treat of a game. Not out for a little while yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
        Hm? I saw it, and chased it around a bit, but to no avail, then I got bored and jumped into a painting.

Use the force, Mr. hat!

Otherwise known as the B button.

Last edited by egparadigm; 11-09-2010, 22:03.

Comment

Yeah, I got him last night. I thought it would be something more complicated and hidden than just grabbing him. Up to about 83 stars now I think. I still haven't even found the Rainbow and Clock courses yet!

And looky what turned up in the mail today: Turok I think tomorrow I will have a blast on that, and maybe a bit of Mario Kart 64 on import!

Comment

Oh lawdy, the controls in Turok are a pain in the dick. The C buttons should only be used for strafing! I'm also a little confused about how the game actually works. You collect keys in each level, but those keys aren't all for the same level? So on the first level, I missed one of the level 2 keys, but I got all the level 3 keys, so I could only skip level 2 and go straight to 3. And level 3 isn't linear enough, I don't really know what the hell I'm supposed to be doing or where I'm supposed to be going. The fact that I can only see three feet in front of my face is not helping either! I think I have been spoilt by Goldeneye...

And now I'm going to calm down by playing more Mario 64 and maybe Mario Kart (two of the most frustrating games ever).

Comment

Basically you wander about collecting two things: keys and chronoscepter pieces. The chronoscepter pieces are not strictly needed and I only realised about it late in the game. Apparently it makes the final boss easier, but I managed it without. With the requisite level keys you can play the relevant level and you can open/play levels out of sequence, although personally I stuck to the intended order so I would have more weapons for the difficult parts.

Comment

I have to admit, I may have turned on a cheat or two. I think with these assy controls, it would be too frustrating to play the through the whole game without cheats. I also gave up collecting those gold things - good to hear they're useles anyway!

Comment

I *loved* Lylat Wars

I remember waiting for it to be release, and thinking it wasn't out for ages. I hadn't had a game for a while, and had some cash laying around (I was in High School at the time, so saving pocket money...)
                  Due to saving money, I also hadn't bought a magazine for a while, so almost completely missed the release date.
                  Watching saturday morning TV, an ad came on for Lylat Wars, release date yesaterday!
                  9.30am, dressed, on the bus and into town to get that chunky big box, N64 game and rumble pack, then some amazing times.

Again back when I played games, so much like Mario 64, I played it and played it and eventually got all the medals. It even saw a great chunk of pretty competative multiplayer gaming as one of the few games that both me and my friend owned.

Ah the N64

Just wait until F-Zero X

Chris

Comment

In keeping with the spirit of The Project (yes, it gets caps now – it's that important) I finished reading all the N64 reviews in the EDGE 100 Most Significant Reviews of the First 100 Issues mag. I also looked up the scores for the Quake and Doom N64 ports.

Unfortunately it mostly only covered the headline games like Mario 64/Kart, GE. It did have a review of Turok 2 though. They said that, in retrospect, all the elements were good, but the pacing was "lamentable".

The first level of Seeds of Evil is actually pretty good. The frame-rate is passable except when you start fight Endtrails, at which point it becomes hard to aim thanks to the missing frames. More than two Endtrails and it becomes a slideshow. Luckily I found the War Blade is by far the most effective weapon – although this complete lack of balance does more or less kill the gunplay. And the savespots on the second level are stupidly far apart. And all the corridors start to look the same – which means you have to spend an extra half-hour wandering at random.

And. And. And.

Comment

Hoo boy. I finally got 120 stars on Mario 64! Quite a mammoth game. The lack of a decent reward after all those stars is a bit disappointing (100 lives? That'll come in handy, now I've already clocked the entire game... An infinite wing cap would have been FAR more appreciated), and not a patch on Super Mario World, but overall the game manages to live up to all the hype, which is nothing less than I expected really. I probably shouldn't have devoted so much time to it in just one month, but it's quite addictive and has a magical quality that kept me coming back for more. I actually dug out an old semi-knackered controller to abuse during some of the incredibly frustrating sections of the game - mostly the 'side scrolling' type levels (which are nevertheless still my favourite parts - go figure), but after a night's sleep, I was raring for another go. I may even revisit the game when the Jap rumble version comes out, especially since it's already waiting patiently on my shelf In fact, I think I might be forced to, given the severe draught that is heading my way (I was particularly saddened to discover that no big name games will be coming out in time for Christmas 2010, not unless I seriously blast through the coming mags). I'm also sure N64 mag will be providing me with ample incentive to invest further time in the game, in the form of glitches and tricks to try out in future months!

Back to Turok then. I have completely given up trying to play this legitimately, it's just too much of a thorn in my balls. I'm exploring the levels thoroughly, but I just don't seem to be getting anywhere, so when I reach the physical end of the level, I'm warping to the next. I haven't stooped to unlocking all the weapons yet, as they provide one of the slim incentives to push on through the levels, but having been totally incapable of discovering how to get to the chaingun despite being able to spy it in the caves, my resistance is slipping. The more I play of this, the more eager I become to get back to some Nintendo goodness. Mario Kart and Pilotwings are beckoning! I should reiterate that so far, all of these games are brand new to me and I'm quite excited. I think Lylat Wars will be the first game to be released that I've already played (not that it will dampen my enjoyment any!)

P.S. Like Pat, I am also looking forward to Doom 64 coming out soon and greatly anticipate unwrapping it on my birthday XD

Comment

RIGHT! THAT'S ****ING IT! I've had it with this crappy-ass game! I just spent about an HOUR trying to get through this god awful first person platforming jizz, involving many many pillars and a huge tower of water. When I FINALLY got to the other side, I jumped on a warp tile, only to be sent all the way back to an earlier part of the level. What, in the name of Bonepart's BALLS was the point of that!? It's like Metroid Prime all over again.

Comment

Ha, ha... Yes the platforming is ridiculous. At least with Prime you had a double-jump and didn't die if you missed a jump.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                            RIGHT! THAT'S ****ING IT! I've had it with this crappy-ass game! I just spent about an HOUR trying to get through this god awful first person platforming jizz, involving many many pillars and a huge tower of water. When I FINALLY got to the other side, I jumped on a warp tile, only to be sent all the way back to an earlier part of the level. What, in the name of Bonepart's BALLS was the point of that!? It's like Metroid Prime all over again.
                            Don't worry, there's still hope. I hear a James Bond movie-tie in by Rare is coming out in a year or so, and apparently nothing will be the same again after you've played this one...

Tur-whatnow?

Comment

BRILLIANT THREAD!

What's next on your list Mr Hat?

Comment

Thanks To finish off this month it will be Pilotwings, and Mario Kart 64 and Wonder Project J2 on Jap import. Next month I think is going to be Blast Corps, Wave Race, and I'm not sure what else yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X