No announcement yet.

N64 Time - Duke Nukem 64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've been having a ball on Mario Kart 64. It's Japanese, so sadly I've had to forgo the CRT which is not NTSC compatible I just beat the game on 50cc. Does the game not record your achievements? It doesn't seem to have logged which trophies I got on which courses...

Anyway, I'm playing it on 100cc now, and it is WAY more fun - something I didn't really notice on other Mario Karts. Of course there is the problem of every game turning into a three horse race between you and the two opponents the cpu has decided will be strong, and the fact that you can be in first place the entire race, fall off the track once and finish last. These problems aren't unique to this version of Mario Kart, but it always seems strange that Nintendo don't iron these things out. It seems that if it were any other game, Nintendo would not release it until Miyamoto had fine tuned the gameplay to perfection.

Still enjoying it though! I'm going to have to source some friends for multiplayer though... *goes off to call cauterize and importaku*

EDIT: I also have no idea how to do drift turbos. Can you actually see them happening, or are they invisible, like the rocket starts?
    Last edited by noobish hat; 15-09-2010, 17:49.

Comment

You can see the drift turbos, the letter e's that come off the wheels as you waggle left & right while you jump & hold into a corner. God haven't played multiplayer in years hehe. Your always welcome to come over with cauterize & N64 it up, i have pretty much most of the good stuff & a lot of the odd stuff too

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
        Does the game not record your achievements? It doesn't seem to have logged which trophies I got on which courses...
        The game should mate perhaps the battery has died in your copy

Comment

I can see the letters changing, but nothing happens to indicate I've been successful, there's no visible boost - I'm guessing that's normal then?

Hmm, I guess the battery could have died. That is a pain. Do N64 carts open with a gamebit? I'll have to go find mine...

Comment

If it's the same as this then yep http://www.thegametrain.com/products...es-carts).html

Comment

RIGHT! THAT'S ****ING IT! I've had it with this crappy-ass game! I just spent about an HOUR trying to get through this god awful first person platforming jizz, involving many many pillars and a huge tower of water. When I FINALLY got to the other side, I jumped on a warp tile, only to be sent all the way back to an earlier part of the level. What, in the name of Bonepart's BALLS was the point of that!? It's like Metroid Prime all over again.
              I think that's the level where i gave up myself, the fact that they vary the pillar spacing, have so many and also spawn enemies to attack to while you go was unforgivable in my book.

On the subject of Lylat wars i adored that game! I even went as far as to get Medals on all the Expert levels to unlock the cool pair of shades for Fox, no easy task. Imagine my horror when i returned to the cart a few years ago to find that the battery powered memory had gone flat and all my work had gone, sob sob! Still I guess I can go around again on the 3DS...

Comment

Am I right in thinking that getting all the medals also unlocks the on foot mode in multiplayer? I'd always wanted to play that since seeing it in CVG or something, but I'm total crap at getting medals. I had a friend in Japan who was an expert at Starfox 64 though, he knew all kinds of crazy **** I thought were just rumours.

Comment

Ok, so a friend came over tonight and we played some multiplayer on Mario Kart. I lost quite badly, considering my friend really isn't a retro gamer, but that's by the by, since we had a lot of fun. Only thing I will say is that I can see the Battle mode being a lot more entertaining with 3 or four players, especially because the arenas are so big. My friend was also hassling me to have a few deathmatches on Goldeneye. Although weakened by my experiences with Turok, I remained strong and refused to play a game before its release. I have been tested, and I passed

Comment

Right, what the frog? I opened up the Mario Kart cartridge, and there's no battery in there!

Comment

Didn't you need a memory pak to store time trial data? Not sure about times but certain you did for ghosts. I found doing 3 full circles with the stick the easiest way to do drift turbo's too.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! In the mag it says the game has memory pak back-up AND cartridge back-up... And besides, it's not just the ghosts that are missing, it's the trophies I won on the cups

Is anyone aware of differences between the Jap and PAL releases? How can it save ANYTHING on the cartridge if there's no battery (or space for one)? They didn't have flash saves back then did they?
                        Last edited by noobish hat; 16-09-2010, 12:10.

Comment

Did you know you could jump the wall on Wario Stadium for 3 second lap times too.

download - http://dl.speeddemosarchive.com/demo.pl?MarioKart64/MarioKart64_wssc_01257---------------------------------------------------Okay, I'm noticing a...

Comment

Thanks for the tip! In the mag it says the game has memory pak back-up AND cartridge back-up... And besides, it's not just the ghosts that are missing, it's the trophies I won on the cups

Is anyone aware of differences between the Jap and PAL releases? How can it save ANYTHING on the cartridge if there's no battery (or space for one)? They didn't have flash saves back then did they?
                            Yes, alot do. EEPROM. Look here - http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/www.e...save_list.html

If its listed as both, then it means it has the option to save to the cart or the memory pak, and as Rep rightly stated, you need the memory pak to save ghost data. But yeh, the cups should have saved :S I'll have a go of mine, and see if they saved or not.

Edit: Yeh, they have saved on the game cart. So if yours aint saving, then i guess your eeprom has died, which sucks :/
                            Last edited by Atomizer; 16-09-2010, 12:45.

Comment

Right, getting pretty ****ing sick of this game now. Pretty much every aspect of it has been done better in another game. Top irks so far - 1. No indication that a drift turbo has been successfully achieved, and the fact that they're totally useless anyway. 2. Complete inability to maintain a lead. You can keep up a constant barrage of attacks on the opponents (who are we kidding, it's only the characters in 2nd and 3rd places, everyone else might as well be at the beach), and they'll be back up your ass in 2 seconds. 3. The fact that ALL the racers go around the track bunched up into one tiny group, never spreading out, so if you're in first place and fall off the track once, you will be overtaken by every single racer without fail and end up in 8th. 4. Red shells are about as accurate as an inebriated darts player skateboarding into a volcano whilst doing lines of coke off a wildly spinning disco ball and trying to hit an invisible dartboard that's affixed to the back of his own hands. Who is blind. You can be directly behind someone, fire a red shell, in a straight line towards them, and it will just randomly veer off to one side and hit a wall. But at least they're more accurate than green shells!

Back to Turok!

Comment

I know what the problem is.. You've played games on newer systems, so these games dont seem as good as what they would do if you hadn't of played the newer systems.

1. Drifts only work when the E goes orange (white - yellow - orange), and are most noticable on 150cc. 2. Inability to keep the lead means your just not very good at the game :P. 3. Again, in 150cc, the carts tend to spread out more. 4. I've never had that problem with red shells. only time they havent worked is when the turn is too sharp for it, or when im too close to a wall and it fires off into it, but thats it. Green shells arent supposed to be accurate, the supposed to fire off and bounce back and forth until it hits someone or falls off the track.

I think when playing n64 games, you need to step back and think, "this game came out before [insert comparable more recent game here], therefore i should disregard said game when evaulating this game". lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X