Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
    Master System version wins hands down! Pow pow! Mohohohohoh!
    Yep, an easy win for the best 8-bit console ever made !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Yep, an easy win for the best 8-bit console ever made !!!!

Comment

What was one originally a Sega Saturn exclusive ended up being released on everything bar the Sega Saturn.

Comment

Hated Edios with a passion at the time. They killed CORE design and canned so many Saturn projects and put them on the PS. Would have liked to see how the lead Saturn versions of Fighting Force and the Ninja (which had to be redesigned on the PS) would have actually turned out on the Saturn, more so as they really looked to make full use of the VDP2

Comment

Hated Edios with a passion at the time. They killed CORE design and canned so many Saturn projects and put them on the PS. Would have liked to see how the lead Saturn versions of Fighting Force and the Ninja (which had to be redesigned on the PS) would have actually turned out on the Saturn, more so as they really looked to make full use of the VDP2
            Edios to me were the European version of EA. Even as a teen I could smell that corporate BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              Edios to me were the European version of EA. Even as a teen I could smell that corporate BS.
              Yeah they were bastards

Comment

Another classic from when EA wasn't such a bad company.

Comment

Great BotP! Love Road Rash, what a classic.

Bit unfair on the MCD version in my eyes, which arguably shouldn’t even be included as it’s not a port of the first game. I feel the FMV sections really fit the Road Rash world and their sheer cheesiness gives them some charm. Also contrary to what you said, I find the scaling runs a little smoother than on the stock MD, there seems to me more roadside objects, and some of the buildings have a little more depth to them. Granted this would/should have been much smoother had the developers properly utilised the system and took advantage of its ASIC chip. One final advantage of the MCD version as it’s the only port (of the CD-based game) that allows the licensed music to be played in-game. I know you couldn’t do this due to copyright infringements, but having the likes of Soundgarden playing during the game does add value to the overall package. A decent game that does add benefits of the CD platform IMO.

It’s strange the Amiga port doesn’t have a pad option as the other MD ports I’ve played on it do (Madden, Desert Strike, FIFA). No excuse for not including it on this port, but it does look nice and smooth.

Finally hats off to the SMS/GG port. Wow! I wasn’t expecting that! It doesn’t look that far removed from the original, and looking at other racing games on the system such as Outrun and Chase HQ just goes to show how far the machine was pushed technically with Road Rash.

Comment

Agreed .The Mega CD version was a port of Road Rash 3 on the MD, with music and FMV from the 3D0.

The Master System port is truly incredible

Comment

SMS version still impresses me.

I like the licenced music on the Mega-CD version but it really does run terribly and it only gets worse as you progress through the game. They should have stuck with composing the music in-house and put more resources into improving game performance really.

Comment

Love hearing that big, boshy music again, makes me wanna go out and make merry mayhem! RR1&2 were two of my fave MD games of all, esp with the Rob Hubbard choonz in 1.

What a game. Never had the MS version but saw it a my mate's back in the day and it knocked my socks off. What a port!!!

GBC is the most curious one. Never seen it before. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          SMS version still impresses me.

I like the licenced music on the Mega-CD version but it really does run terribly and it only gets worse as you progress through the game. They should have stuck with composing the music in-house and put more resources into improving game performance really.
                          The Mega CD version runs not better or worse than the Mega Drive version of Part III (which the port is based on) . And the music is real licenced music played back directly of the CD in CDDA . How anyone can have issues with music from the likes of Soundgarden being played is beyond me .

Comment

The Mega CD version runs not better or worse than the Mega Drive version of Part III (which the port is based on) . And the music is real licenced music played back directly of the CD in CDDA . How anyone can have issues with music from the likes of Soundgarden being played is beyond me .
                            I know? I said I like the music. The game just runs terribly, It's unplayable in later stages. I played through it a year or so back and ended up selling the game because the bad performance just sucked all the fun out of it.

Fair enough if it runs as bad/well as Road Rash 3, the above issue still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                              I know? I said I like the music. The game just runs terribly, It's unplayable in later stages. I played through it a year or so back and ended up selling the game because the bad performance just sucked all the fun out of it.
                              It runs and looks like the Mega Drive version of Road Rash III (on which it's based) which both went for that horrible digitized look. Other than cash a cheque, I doubt EA put much effort into the music, since it's just studio labelled music, played directly off the CD. It's about the only really good part of the Mega-CD version too and way better than the music in the MD Road Rash III (some better sound effects too) even better than the In-game music, in the Saturn/3DO/PS.

I really don't know why EA changed the look of Road Rash III or John Madden 94, both new engines and gfx looked worse than the originals IMO

Comment

Yeah, I never liked that weird photo capture style of the later EA.

Comment

Working...
                                X