Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your biggest retro gaming mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as a kid i decided that i no longer wanted my near complete Super Play collection anymore so i tore off the covers, anime sections and cheats, kept those bits and threw the rest away. - i still have the folder with them all in too

i also threw away all of the bags for the snes carts as i couldnt be bothered to keep getting them in and out.

Comment

i also sold my pc engine gt with a stack of games to pay for a garden gate - sad times

Comment

My main regret was selling my Sony MSX which I bought when it first came out. I had all the Konami cartridges in mint condition and all the Konami newsletters.

Oh, and selling most of my "valuable" Neo Geo AES games to buy a plasma TV. To be honest, I do use the TV more than I ever played most of the games haha
        Last edited by SUMIRE; 12-02-2014, 21:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
          Back when 'retro' was 'current', I threw away some of those wonderful cardboard boxes PC games used to be packaged in. From memory, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder 2, *gulp* Planescape: Torment, Legends of Valour, probably a few more. From that last one I didn't even keep the disks, manual or code wheel since it was infected with a nasty virus.

Woe is me, indeed...
          I still have my collection of big Box PC & Amiga software.
          I also still have my entire Spectrum collection all of which are worth nothing these days yet I traded away all my SNES/MD stuff it makes no sense I tell you lol

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Funny thing is, I could really do with a GC Component Cable for my Panasonic Q - playing GC games on it through the standard SCART(?) set-up just looks dire.

Official GC Component Cables have been known to fetch up to ?100 on Flea-Bay. Custom made bit of kit by NCL that even had dedicated chips inside it, iirc.
            The Pana Q only has composite and component output, hence why I had to hack up a component cable to make a custom SCART RGB cable (I did not have an HD telly at the time).

Incidentally I sold the boxed, region-modded Pana Q along with the boxed ?100 (!) cable, a BBA and a handful of games for ?250 to some guy in Holland a few years back. Not sure I'd put that in the category of regrets but just thought I'd mention it.

Comment

I have a Mega Drive, SNES, N64 and Game Boy.

I've still got them from when they were current gen.

I guess my biggest mistake is that they just sat around in various cupboards and lofts not really doing anything.

I'd rather just play retro for a few minutes on my Xperia Play than faff around trying to set up one of these consoles.

Comment

I can't really think of anything I regret selling in the past. I've never been one to sell old consoles to fund new ones, so all my consoles are original purchases or upgrades/replacements.

Zelda on the NES is the one thing I wish I still had, but only for sentimental reasons. I don't have a NES to play it on anymore but when I was playing it on the Gamecube recently I wished I still had my part hand drawn map by my side.

My only other regret is kidding myself that I was an RPG fan around the PSX era, when I had only really enjoyed action RPGs on the snes and then final fantasy vii. The 90s could have been better spent playing sega arcade games!

Comment

I regret selling everything I had console wise, but couldn't afford to get anything 'newer' so always had to trade in. I tend not to think about it as I had some stuff that is considered valuable now.

Comment

I may be about to make one; thinking of selling my modest Neo Geo Pocket Color collection unless I can find someone to do the frontlight mod for me. I've just decided that I can't go back to those old reflective screens.

Comment

Rose coloured gaming do Neo Geo pocket screen mods I think.

Comment

I'm not so sure if they still do. They seem to be focused on custom systems and expensive repros these days. They're even talking about reviewing games.

Comment

They charge so much money it makes me blush.

No thanks.

Comment

I really liked how subtle and neat their mod work used to be. Now they just knock out garish systems with custom shells and buttons that always look inferior to the stock appearance. It's a real shame, as I wanted them to mod my GBA, NGPC and Wonderswan but I couldn't afford to at the time.

Comment

I think modding should always be about subtlety. Garish stuff sells for big money to idiots in the chiptune community. You're right though, all that repro stuff is gross compared to NCL official stuff.

Tempted to get one of those GBA backlights and do a unit myself. GBA is so much better to play games on than an SP IMO.

Comment

Totally agree. The original GBA had great ergonomics. I think the missus has ordered me the DMG-001 model from Rose Coloured gaming for my birthday. Definitely the nicest colourway imo.

Comment

Working...
                                X