Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your biggest retro gaming mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
    I want an original GBA with an awesome screen now. It is the best to use for sure. Feels like a SNES pad.
    I've still got my launch GBA
    Picked up the Purple one from Currys on release day.

Think the screen is a bit scratched up though from some serious use, I might dig it out actually & see what sort of state it is in.

Comment

I used to have a massive collection back in 2002 - 2006 and sold the lot but I don't really regret it. I have brought back various elements of the collection, buying a brand new PSone several years ago and purchased a US Nintendo 64 last year, but don't regret getting rid of it first time. Yes, it did cost me several hundred to buy them back those 2 platforms along with the mint games but it was worth it alone to be able to get my overwhelming collection down to the core of what I enjoy about gaming. Great games, not a massive collection of **** I don't play.

On the flip side, I loved that period of my life. My Brother and I worshiped at the alter of Videogames, importing, playing the best Xbox, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Game Boy Advance, Neo Geo Pocket, Arcade and Retro games that were on offer, going to events and talking non-stop about what we were going to do. So although I spent a tonne and sold a lot of it as it was taking over my life, I would never take that away from me. The memories were too special.

Aside from spending a bit too much money and re-buying a few consoles after deeming there's nothing on that format I want, I don't have any regrets!

*Gun is placed on my head* Okay, Selling my GT Pro Wheel + Wheel Stand Pro as I had so much fun with that & Gran Turismo 5 and now I've got a house, I can set it up in our office. Also, not going to the Virgin Megastore in London back in the early 2000's when Shigeru Miyamoto was promoting Zelda: Wind Waker as I would have loved to have shook his hand and get something signed. Saw Hideo Kojima a few years later for Metal Gear Solid 3 and loved the experience.

Comment

I don't regret as much as I thought I did. I can remember a couple of things though.

I once had a minty Ape Escape Controller box set for PS1which I traded in to a local indie for <?5. I watched them rip it up and split the controller and game... never forgot that. I loved that game, but I really wanted to go to the cinema with some girl aha.

Selling my original Pokemon carts, you know with legitimate 150/1 Pokemon, still gets me.

Thinning down the collection; I had some great items, but I sold them off. I look at my 'collection' now though and I'm much happier, so I guess it's not a regret. I did sell games before their peak, so I lost/e money on purchases regularly only to see them being sold on ebay for double. =/

Comment

I turned down a Euro Kizuna Encounter AES cart back in 1996. Telegames had a carton in, ?200 each. I chose to buy a JP copy of KoF95 instead, after trying Kizuna and deciding it was 'a bit crud'.

People always say I'm talking bollocks, but I went with a mate who will back me up. J0e knows the score with this as well.

If I remember correctly, Telegames then sold the carton to a shop in Germany, after which it was never heard of again.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            Exchanged Final Soldier for F1 Pilot. I cried and tried to get my dad to convince the shop to swap it back. They didn't.

Left all my HuCards bar SF2 and ballistix loose in a ruck sack and lent it to a mate who unwittingly left it somewhere, included Splatterhouse, Jackie Chan amongst others.

Took my Super CDRom2 round a friends house, left it there for a few days in which time it blew up.

Apologies I dont have any more traumatic teenage PC Engine nightmares to share.
            Never lend games or consoles to friends.

I remember buying a game as a kid and it was too hard, so I got my mum to take it back, and they did swap it over. Was only a budget game, though.

I don't have any interesting stories, but I wish I had bought Radiant Silver Gun when it came out, as I was offered it for ?35. I had gone off the Saturn by that time, so didn't feel like it. I've never owned the game.

Comment

The whole neo geo aes fiasco. Was more about collecting than actual gaming thus became very expensive and dish water dullness.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyJuggleDX View Post
                I turned down a Euro Kizuna Encounter AES cart back in 1996. Telegames had a carton in, ?200 each. I chose to buy a JP copy of KoF95 instead, after trying Kizuna and deciding it was 'a bit crud'.

People always say I'm talking bollocks, but I went with a mate who will back me up. J0e knows the score with this as well.

If I remember correctly, Telegames then sold the carton to a shop in Germany, after which it was never heard of again.
                Telegames had at least 18 copies of Euro Kizuna. I'd say 24 myself. AES games came in cartons of six from SNK. There was a large stack of Kizuna behind the counter. The rumours about its scarcity are definitely untrue, but there are only five people I know of (including myself) who can lay claim to seeing the large print run with their own eyes.

To my knowledge, Alan the Shekana mail order guy had a complete English AES collection. Everytime a game came out, he got it. This is true until at least 1998, so there is a likelyhood that he has a copy of it too.
                Last edited by J0e Musashi; 24-02-2014, 10:31.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

To be honest anyone who pays ?10,000 for Kizuna Encounter needs their heads checked. I got the PS2 collection with the two Savage Reign games on and they weren't worth ?30 I paid for the the pair. As they are both pretty rubbish vs fighting games.

So as the old saying goes a fool and his money, guess it's just the kudos factor of owning the European version of Kizuna Encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                    To be honest anyone who pays ?10,000 for Kizuna Encounter needs their heads checked. I got the PS2 collection with the two Savage Reign games on and they weren't worth ?30 I paid for the the pair. As they are both pretty rubbish vs fighting games.

So as the old saying goes a fool and his money, guess it's just the kudos factor of owning the European version of Kizuna Encounter.
                    I think the last Kizuna changed hands for around $50,000, sold by the owner of Neo Geo forums. ?10,000 wouldn't buy you the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
                      I think the last Kizuna changed hands for around $50,000, sold by the owner of Neo Geo forums. ?10,000 wouldn't buy you the manual.
                      It's amazing what two years can do in the Neo Geo world, utter madness at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by moonwhistle View Post
                        What a f**ked up world we live in.

Comment

What I find hilarious is that SNK had no part in the distribution in non Japanese territories beyond providing the original cartridges and boxes. That is what I've read at least.

With that considered I think it makes all this Neo Geo prestige even more ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                            It's amazing what two years can do in the Neo Geo world, utter madness at that price.

What you missed the whole USA Aerofighters 3 AES carts (rare prototype) that were selling for $20,000 which then turned out to be conversions

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                              What you missed the whole USA Aerofighters 3 AES carts (rare prototype) that were selling for $20,000 which then turned out to be conversions
                              Don't count them as they were fakes, couldn't stop laughing when I heard they were real fakes however.

Never collected or owner a NEO GEO but surely those that do must be getting worried about the number of conversions floating around these days, I remember speaking to MonkeyJuggleDX awhile back and he was saying how easy it is to create conversions.

Comment

Kizuna Encounter is rubbish. People are crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X