Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your biggest retro gaming mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a modded DMG from Nonfinite a few years ago. Ordered a black DMG, white frontlight, toggle switch and pro sound mod.

It arrived and I was kinda horrified. The DMG had tons of wear, the toggle switch was poorly installed and the UV filter in the frontlight had to be adjusted as it was off center. Obviously this is a long time ago but I paid around ?85 for that thing and I hated every minute of owning it.

Part of the reason I started modding stuff myself. Because then I know it's done right.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      I think modding should always be about subtlety. Garish stuff sells for big money to idiots in the chiptune community.
      I just laughed, hard! I dread to think of how many classic systems have been butchered because some Game Boy DJ thinks that fluorescent shells and glow in the dark buttons are well weapon.

I'd hoped that RSG would resume proper modding work when Wiggy took on another person but it's just pushed them further down the rabbit hole of selling overpriced repros to twits. When they claim that they have slim profit margins I have to wonder why they even bother. What a waste!

Comment

Eh, if they can get people to part with their cash via alternative means who are we to judge, I guess.

Comment

It's just annoying that they're pouring time into producing Zelda repro sets that sell for $400 to one person, instead of using that time to continue what was a promising service.

Comment

When I said DMG-001 I meant a themed GBA mod, not an original modded brick (bought one of those from you I think speedy?). Thought it looked really nice personally.

Comment

Not my thing really.

Comment

Looks awesome. Modding is great when tasteful and professional. Heck there are some nasty official items out there.

Comment

I'd rather a plain see through GBA myself. Wish Nintendo didn't stop doing see through consoles.

Comment

For me, the SP was superior to the original GBA in every aspect. Better d-pad, buttons, screen, shape and design. There's nothing I liked about the original.

Comment

The SP screen was a vast improvement - enough to justify a purchase back in the day - but it just wasn't as comfortable in the hands, especially for games like Mario Kart and F-Zero which used the L&R buttons a lot. Plus there's Wario Ware Twisted, which I don't remember being as good with the SP.

Comment

I don't have too many regrets really, some of the snes games I sold a couple of years ago now go for a bit more but whatever.

I guess my biggest one would be not holding onto my NES gear. I stored them in my parents room when it "broke" with the flashing light issue and by the time I found out how to fix it they'd tossed everything in the bin

Comment

Just to ask, I've seen a fair few of those GBA's floating around (actually, they've been more of an annoyance - I have an eBay search that emails me each day for "AGS-101 auctions from the UK" and every day it's padded out with "GBA original modded LIKE AGS-101"). Are the screens as good as the GBA SP AGS-101 is supposed to be?

Comment

Yes. If anything the screen is better.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                              Yes. If anything the screen is better.
                              Interesting. Might go for one of those, then - I miss my Arctic White GBA. I agree with what everyone has said, it definitely felt the best in-the-hand of any of Nintendo's handhelds (maaaaaaaybe the Micro was on par).

Comment

I want an original GBA with an awesome screen now. It is the best to use for sure. Feels like a SNES pad.

Comment

Working...
                                X