Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which highly rated retro games did you dislike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxhead View Post
    Another smash tennis fan her (I had the jap version so super fami tennis) I loved how japanese it was.

I can't understand why anyone on earth would dislike virtua tennis. It's one of the purest and most fun games ever! local 4 player on that game is gaming perfection in my opinion!
    Because it's woefully basic. You can barely do anything you can do in real tennis and there are no risky shots because virtually everything goes in.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
      Because it's woefully basic. You can barely do anything you can do in real tennis and there are no risky shots because virtually everything goes in.
      I'm sorry, but I don't see how this is a problem. If it's multiplayer I'm talking about then obviously the fact that the game is too 'easy' goes out the window as it boils down to one person winning and one person losing.

I loved the fact that it was paired down to just 3 shots and a smash. It had the whole mind game and knowing your opponent thing nailed as far as I'm concerned. The sequel added new shots and for me that's when it started to lose some of its simple magic. I don't think a sports game has to accurately mimic a sport's real life counterpart to make it good. as long as it's fun to play that should be the priority I reckon.

That's my opinion at least.
      Last edited by boxhead; 18-09-2015, 10:06.

Comment

Simple mechanics are fine but the court and rules are virtually redundant. The only way to score is to hit the ball past your opponent. It takes away classic risk and reward mechanics by not allowing riskier shots.

Comment

Simple mechanics are fine but the court and rules are virtually redundant. The only way to score is to hit the ball past your opponent. It takes away classic risk and reward mechanics by not allowing riskier shots.
          that's where the smash comes in. You absolutely twat it and then if your opponent returns it or lobs it over you you're done. The position on court, the shots you use, the lobs and returns it's all classic risk and reward or am I completely incorrect here?

Comment

It's still massively limited though. Aiming a deep shot right on the line is much more risky or something like going cross court shallow. You just can't do it because the game is too basic. It just becomes a war of attrition.
            Also your scenario is waiting on the opponent to make a mistake. Not a winner of your own creation.

Comment

It's still massively limited though. Aiming a deep shot right on the line is much more risky or something like going cross court shallow. You just can't do it because the game is too basic. It just becomes a war of attrition.
              Also your scenario is waiting on the opponent to make a mistake. Not a winner of your own creation.
              true. But that can be said of some of my all time favourite games. Street fighter has the exact same mechanic and relies on your opponent slipping up and you punishing them. Maybe it boils down to a gameplay preference thing.

Comment

Tennis is a sport though and why Virtua Tennis will never be the best tennis game because it just isn't tennis. It's more like Pong.

Comment

fair enough, I guess that's what this thread is all about. I'm going to gracefully bow out of this one I think now. I still think virtua tennis is a fine game not in spite of it's limitation but because of them.

Comment

Don't worry Boxhead, I really like Virtua Tennis too. It's a simple arcade game and has its limitations, but I still find it immense fun - especially in 2P. Not a fan of tennis games broadly so I don't have much to compare it to.

Comment

Virtua Tennis works perfectly within the confines of its design.

Comment

Virtua Tennis works perfectly within the confines of its design.
                        So you admit it's the best tennis game of all time then? finally!

Comment

It's the best version of Pong ever!

Comment

It's the best version of Pong ever!
                            I can get behind this

Comment

Regardless of wether it's the best tennis game ever or not it's still the most fun iv ever had from a tennis game in multiplayer and iv played them all from Super Tennis on SNES to Pete Sampras & Sampras 95 on the MD to Anna Kournikova's smash court tennis to Grand slam Tennis & Topspin.

Isn't that what matters?

Comment

I really liked Virtua Tennis. It was the first DC game that truly wowed me, it looked super-amazing. I just didn't like playing a tennis game on the horrid DC pad. It felt wrong. Totally solid 60fps game of tennis/Pong, whatever you think, it really was impressive at the time. Just...that pad with it...

Comment

Working...
                                X