Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which highly rated retro games did you dislike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree it was fun to play then and fun to play now regardless of it's simpler selection of shots and yeah it looked lovely. Also it wasnt as shallow as it first appeared as your shot depth varied depending on how you used the d-pad with the shots which made having a great game of tennis with a mate easy. And yeah shame about the DC pad.

From VT2 onward they added the sliced shot which for me made it complete. VT3 was my favourite as they seemed to change the graphical style in 4 which i didnt care for.

All were waaaaay to easy though.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
      The Virtua Tennis reference was a general thing because it seems universally loved.
      Seemed to me to be the stuff of playschool . Look he's just knocked a game I like on a system I love ... I'll know he used to like SEGA so lets knock a SEGA game, on a SEGA game in retaliation...

I didn't really like Super Tennis, found it a bit slow and the hit detection a bit off . Pete Samp was much faster had better controls (when you got used to them) and ace (pun intended) atmosphere thanks to some of the best samples to come out of the MD . I liked VT III and IV on the 360 but I'll not really a massive fan of the games or the sport.

Comment

Saying Pete Samp was better than Super Tennis is like saying Jimmy Connor's was better than Super Tennis. And Jimmy Connor's was better than Pete Samp. But Pete Samp was way better than Andre Ags.

How they compare to Jonah Barrington's Squash is another matter entirely. There is no equal to Jonah Baz. Probably because there were probably no other squash games. Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          How they compare to Jonah Barrington's Squash is another matter entirely. There is no equal to Jonah Baz. Probably because there were probably no other squash games. Probably.
          I used to enjoy Jahangir Khan on the Speccy

Edit: Jahangir Khan's Squash. I used to enjoy that on the Speccy. Not Jahangir himself. Ahem.
          Last edited by samanosuke; 19-09-2015, 23:37.

Comment

It's the best version of Pong ever!
            WTH, the same can be said of any sports game then.

Comment

Super Mario World 2. Sure I didn't mind the jazzy graphical style but after the joy of SMW, the yoshi mechanic was annoying as hell for me, put me right off. Just dont want it.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                I used to enjoy Jahangir Khan on the Speccy

Edit: Jahangir Khan's Squash. I used to enjoy that on the Speccy. Not Jahangir himself. Ahem.
                One doth protesteth too much! Nowt wrong with a brief bout of Jahangir.

It was a taboo subject back at school in the 80s. But we all 'broke ourselves in' with Jahangir. It was seen as 'normal'.

But now? We never were the same since.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                  Super Mario World 2. Sure I didn't mind the jazzy graphical style but after the joy of SMW, the yoshi mechanic was annoying as hell for me, put me right off. Just dont want it.
                  I ADORE the visuals of Yoshi's Island. But actually, I'm completely with you on that. The egg throwing mechanic in particular killed it for me and I just didn't enjoy playing through the levels the way I do with so many Mario games.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                    Madness! I couldn't believe it when I first heard there were people out there that actually didn't like yoshi's Island.

The level design, the graphics, the bosses and the tactical gameplay and variety. What do people want?!

What next? People disliking links awakening??

Comment

The egg mechanic is fine but the baby one kills the flow. Amazing levels though.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        Saying Pete Samp was better than Super Tennis is like saying Jimmy Connor's was better than Super Tennis. And Jimmy Connor's was better than Pete Samp. But Pete Samp was way better than Andre Ags.
                        I never played Jimmy Connor's . I liked Pete more on the MD it was faster and the game had really great atmosphere thanks to excellent use of sound But there you are, when people were raving about Pro Evo on the PS2, I always liked This is Football 2003/4/5 far more

Comment

This is Football lol.

I hate using lol but I can't think of anything else!

Anyway, Jimmy Connors is a very enjoyable tennis game indeed.

Comment

It's the best version of Pong ever!
                            Better than Windjammers?

Comment

I don't like Windjammers myself.

Comment

I hate using lol but I can't think of anything else
                                I'm betting you haven't even played the latter ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X