Dreamcast celebration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
    Totally. It suffered from the Namco classic of wilder attacks and faster speed. Just the graphics.

My word I do love the Tokyo Battle games though. Also Power Stone was immense fun.
    Shutokou 2 and powerstone are in my all tiime top ten

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
      I didn't particularly like Soul Calibur. It wasn't a patch on Soul Edge IMO.
      I think soul edge has the better presentation, but it plays abit clunky nowadays (i am a massive soul edge fan though)

Comment

Shutokou 2 absolutely blew me away when it arrived. The first DC game to floor me. 60fps, amazing car models and those replays were incredible.

Soul Edge is likely clunky because of the low frame rate to be fair.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
          I didn't particularly like Soul Calibur. It wasn't a patch on Soul Edge IMO.
          I loved Soul Edge - it was truly amazing for its time. Then I felt the same about Soul Calibur. After that, I got Soul Calibur 2 for the GameCube and didn't like it much. Since then, I haven't really played later installments in the series.

Comment

My favourite console by a mile, I'd already had a few games when I imported Jet Set Radio (Tronix?), never in my life had an intro aside from Soul Edge taken by breath away, at the time I had a Sony WEGA 29" 4:3 and the sound through the hi-fi and subwoofer coupled with the full screen blew me away.

So many good games, Samba, HOTD, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi.

Have said a few times here how I regretted selling my kit, hopefully going to get a Japanese one next year from Hard Off or the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
              when I imported Jet Set Radio (Tronix?), never in my life had an intro aside from Soul Edge taken by breath away, at the time I had a Sony WEGA 29" 4:3 and the sound through the hi-fi and subwoofer coupled with the full screen blew me away.
              Yeah, Jet Set Radio looked and sounded stunning. Another Dreamcast gem. I need to go back to it.

Comment

I remember how incredible the graphics were at the time
                Yeah too right at the time it was the best looking game ever made . That and Virtual On II just blew me away and made my jaw drop with the insane graphics and lovely colour and clean vibrant textures (somthing missing in so many PS 2 games) .

Never forget me and my brother playing NFL 2k for the 1st time - This was a game that took sports games into the new age and set the standard for all others to follow . The commentary was so real it was like they were then in person calling the action, the gameplay was brilliant and the player animation and motion capture was just so spot on so much like real life , just amazing to play it back in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  Yeah, Jet Set Radio looked and sounded stunning. Another Dreamcast gem. I need to go back to it.
                  I actually don't like how JSR plays at all, feels archaic next to something like THPS2. The music though? Some of the best in gaming. Regularly listen to the OST of that and Future.

Also really cool that Hideki Naganuma is actively posting on Twitter regularly repping the soundtrack.

Comment

JSR plays like crap now but man it was epic on release. Utterly loved it. Pity they ruined future but making it a clumsy platform game.

Comment

In line with the beautiful DC games talk, you have to include Zero Gunner 2. Man that's a good looking shmup, and a personal favourite of mine on the system. In fact it's one of only two games I have for my DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                        In line with the beautiful DC games talk, you have to include Zero Gunner 2.
                        I remember Lee saying it looked just as impressive as Shenmue when he was about to sent out my Import copy. It sure did look great at the time . I really loved playing Alien Front Online back in the day, simple clear fun and it played amazing over the net and was the 1st time (for me) to use Voice chat , Loved playing Quake III online with the DC too and while the game wasn't quite as good as it should have been.. Daytona USA 2001 in 4 player Online mode was just simply amazing and if you played at like 2am (uk time) I used to have almost zero lag and brilliant fun to play that online with players from the USA .

Comment

I still like to play JSR. I last finished it a couple of years ago on Vita.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            It aged for me and was totally outclassed by the time of JSRF - Such a better game to play listen too and look at 'FOR ME'

Comment

It's a great system, but I'll be honest and say I was far too enamoured in the PS1/PS2 at the time to really give it the love it deserved. I remember being the one guy rocking a Pocketstation in my school when others were doing the Chau stuff from Sonic Adventure on their VMUs, hah.

Maybe moreso than any other hardware successor, it really felt like it doubled down on what made the Saturn great for me - tonnes of shmups and fighters, in particular. I'd argue it lost a little steam on the RPG front, but whenever I look at my Saturn and DC games on the shelf, it's hilarious how many parallels there are between them.

Best DC bargain? Some poor lad on eBay with 0 feedback wanting to get rid of his Japanese unit. I took the system, along with about 10 boxed games and accessories up the wazzoo for the princely sum of ?50. Felt like I was robbing him, but he was still lovely when I got in contact about it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                Downloaded the demo but the sound was glitchy, I like the gameplay but agree that Future was better.

Comment

Working...
                                X