Dreamcast celebration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad View Post
    I'd been out of gaming for a bit. Wife and I had gone to the theatre in Stratford and stayed overnight. Previous visits were a delight but this performance of The Secret Garden was rubbish so we left halfway through. In the morning I was a bit down about it so we wondered around the town and I came across an indie shop and just decided to buy a DC and Soul Calibur there and then. Got me back into gaming from the moment I got it home.
    OT but I'm pretty sure I also saw that performance of the Secret Garden, and yes, it was rubbish. I didn't have a wife though - I was 9.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      I'm pretty sure I also saw that performance of the Secret Garden
      Is that the one with Iggle Piggle and Upsy Daisy?

Comment

Plus as much as I like playing on real hardware that jet turbine fan and noisy ass drive really erode the retro charm. Or maybe they are part of the retro charm?
        Get yourself a GD-EMU or USB GDROM and voila! no drive grinding sounds.

Comment

Still got that stupid system fan though.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            The Vita is a handheld PlayStation 2, if anything.
            I haven't got a Vita, yet. But I've always had the impression - based on the hype - that it's a portable PS3. I guess I should play safe and call the PSP a PS 1.5, and the Vita a PS 2.5. Even if they're only that powerful, they're impressive handhelds for their time.

I remember first buying a VGA adapter and being blown away with the image quality. Luckily, my big screen LCD has VGA input, so I can still use the Dreamcast through that. I was playing some games through VGA last week and the image is still really impressive.

A game I like a lot, but doesn't have a positive reputation, is Rainbow Cotton. The gameplay mechanics should have been better designed, but the graphics and sound really put a smile on my face. It's a game I always enjoy coming back to. And through VGA, it's one of the best looking DC games.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-12-2015, 00:51.

Comment

Owned and sold several Dreamcast over the years, many bargains either side of those deals too

Most memorable bargain was from some bizarre EU gaming channel thing on SKY where I got 10 sealed DC games for ?50 or something? IIRC I bagged all the StreetFighter games, MVC, Project Justice, and Grandia 2 or SKOA amongst others.

Last Blade & Garou Wasn?t getting the NeoGeo versions anytime soon so these helped satisfy my hunger!

Soul Calibur THE reason I had to buy a DC, PAL!

Dynamite Deka 2 This was so much fun, I loved the Saturn version too, graet crazy fun! Pretty sure there was some odd dlc type thing for this, can?t remember for the life of me though?

Pen Pen Trilcelon Quite possibly the most wrong game ever racer ever but a good laugh if you?re all extremely drunk.

Ikaruga Sitting and playing this was so rewarding. Edging that little further forward each time, such a pretty title.
              Never got the whole chaining thing mind? Witnessing first hand someone who excelled at this, was one the most surreal things ever! He just popped up quietly at an event and was like is it okay if I have a go? I was like OFC that?s what it?s here for chap.. he then totally obliterated the game then drifted off into the crowd.

Tokyo Highway Challenge 1&2 Wasted a lot of time on these back in the day, I only say wasted as I never came back to them and I?m pretty sure the VMU?s are long gone. Felt like a real dark, shady racer, relaxed, yet pretty intense when that time comes.

Capcom Vs SNK Everything (almost) in the one place, best of both worlds. Terrible RPG

Virtua Cop 2, Confidential Mission, & HOTD Cracking Gun games

Crazy Taxi Taking people to KFC was good for a while

DOA2 Taking out Tengu!

StarWars Episode One Pod Racer Enjoyed this for a short while.

Guily Gear X My first introduction to the Guilty Gear series and it?s zany charactters.

Marvel Vs Capcom 1 & 2 Prefer these over MVC3. Some colorful memories of the initial encounters with the BOSS characters. Unlocking all the extra characters on the UK version, that bloody music on MVC2
              GigaWing Cheap and cheerful SHMUP always good for a swift blast.

Bangai-0 Love the insanity in this game, so much going on all over the place! Intense.

Project JusticeReally enjoyed this at the time.

Bomberman Online A dream come true!

Trizeal Free Bandana

Border Down Was so hyped for this at the time, but just found it seriously confusing, frustrating, followed by disappointing. Never really gave it the time it deserved to be fair? Not going to be doing so in the future either as its price tag is somewhat a no go for me!

Sonic Adventure BIG POO. Hated it, played it through just did not gel with me.

Virtua Fighter 3TB Whilst I loosely enjoyed the Saturn games, I did not enjoy this at all at the time. I will go bck & try it again soon.

Radirgy I just did not get the appeal, so sold up pretty much straight away? Have the Wii versions now, and warmed slightly.

Sonic Shuffle What a pile of stinky. Not for me, hoped it would?ve been.

*My crazy Japanese Dreamcast that would refuse to play random Japanese games? Regardless of video output, but would play PAL games via a DCX perfectly?
              *When I was looking for MVC2 Japan VMU saves and contacted the DCJY about back in 2009 & then got a reply in 2014 (after inviting him to join me & my RC buddies on our podcast, then realizing he was from DCJY!).
              *The Blaze VGA box that I couldn?t get to work?
              *The DC Mini Twin joystick thing I got for ?5.
              *The Official DC Sticks I got ?10 each!
              *Buying Sonic Adventure 2 Anniversary for ?5, and ridiculously cheap Shenmue 2?s
              *Total Control Saturn adapter for great justice!
              *Stupid DC reset issue.
              *The pads I thought were horrible. Exccept for when playing Crazy Taxi then they made sense. I liked the idea of the VMU?s being slot in etc. But the D-Pad was absolutely awful!
              *Ridiculous battery life of VMU?s
              *Taking a DC into work for the team to play Soul Calibur on at lunch when I was working for that internet research company.
              *Being able to browse online on a console, ev e n if I t w a s s l o w .
              *Those ridiculously fragile PAL cases! What on earth was the point in these ever being used EVAR.
              *Passing up some reasonably priced Hello Kitty & R7 Consoles
              *The fact that is embodies the death of Sega in the console market.

Comment

Originally posted by Katsujinken View Post

Marvel Vs Capcom 1 & 2 Prefer these over MVC3.
                I think the majority do (I'm a MvC1 fan myself)! I don't know what Capcom were thinking with MvC3/UMvC3. The drastic change of art-style really didn't work imho.

I STILL have yet to mod the PAL DC that I purchased from [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION] a few years ago! Gotta get around to that. Maybe in the new year...

Comment

That was a nice bundle, cheap too! I'd save yourself the hassle and just wait for my multi region one to go up for sale.

Comment

the dreamcast hard to believe it's over 17 years ago already, first console i bought on lauch day, i think i even skipped school to pick it up.
                    Glad i stick with it until the end and got to experience some of the best games ever made when they were new, man those were the days sega popping out classic after classic.

Comment

[
                      QUOTE=Katsujinken;2241647]

Pen Pen Trilcelon Quite possibly the most wrong game ever racer ever but a good laugh if you?re all extremely drunk.
                      Top call . Pen Pen is such an overlooked and underrated classic game. The game is just pure Japanese madness and sheer fun . Its one of my fav Christmas games too. Still laugh at me my mates and my brother (drunk out of his skull) trying to play the game 3am in the morning on New Years Eve (well New Year Day) of 1998 . Such a shame SEGA/CE never made a sequel with double the tracks and 4 player on-line play.

For me though my favourite memory of the DC is the day I got PSO . It was just a pure magical experience to play the game online, make friends/chat too and play co-op with various DC owners around the world . Where each player tried to help and look out for each other (sadly that friendly sprit has seemed to died with Online gaming these days) . One of those rare games where hours seemed like minitues and where I would rather stay in and play the game, than go out .

PSO was just such a magical game to play and take part in back inthe day.
                      Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-12-2015, 13:05.

Comment

Dynamite Deka 2 is so silly and lots of fun.

Comment

Radirgy I just did not get the appeal, so sold up pretty much straight away? Have the Wii versions now, and warmed slightly.
                          I liked it. The graphics, the gameplay, it all worked for me

Comment

Soul Calibur THE reason I had to buy a DC, PAL!
                            Yeah, one of the most compelling reasons to buy a DC back in '99. It really did blow me away.

Yeah, it's a very weird game, but once you get used to it, it's a really fun game.

DOA2 Taking out Tengu!
                            I remember how incredible the graphics were at the time.

Project JusticeReally enjoyed this at the time.
                            Yeah, a really nice game. One that doesn't get mentioned very often.

Border Down Was so hyped for this at the time, but just found it seriously confusing, frustrating, followed by disappointing. Never really gave it the time it deserved to be fair? Not going to be doing so in the future either as its price tag is somewhat a no go for me!
                            It's best to spend ages on the 'practise' mode, learning the levels before you become great at the full game.

*Those ridiculously fragile PAL cases! What on earth was the point in these ever being used EVAR.
                            Yeah, they always break. I had a box full of broken cases at one point. I wish I had just bought Japanese games with their normal CD cases.

Comment

I didn't particularly like Soul Calibur. It wasn't a patch on Soul Edge IMO.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                                I didn't particularly like Soul Calibur. It wasn't a patch on Soul Edge IMO.
                                Totally. It suffered from the Namco classic of wilder attacks and faster speed. Just the graphics.

My word I do love the Tokyo Battle games though. Also Power Stone was immense fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X