Advice from people who have sold their collections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exclusive footage of J0e in real life:

What say, unemployed nerdlingers that live in homes that look like GAME franchises with no social lives? Any response?

Comment

Where does one obtain a wife and children?

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
        Exclusive footage of J0e in real life:

What say, unemployed nerdlingers that live in homes that look like GAME franchises with no social lives? Any response?
        I have no social life and no games collection, do i win a prize?

Comment

Originally posted by Pavey View Post
          *hands over “The Nick Pavey award for most Nick Paviousness 2018” with a gun and a wink*

Comment

Originally posted by Pavey View Post
            Sun's out.

Get building that minicinema!

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              And another thing. You people who buy every single new game that comes out and only play them for five minutes before trading them in to play the next new game for five minutes ad infinitum. You are even bigger nerds.
              Not half as nerdy as posting on a gaming forum lol.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                Some of the posts I read on here genuinely amaze me. It seems some people are caught up in a nerdstrom of infantile destruction. For instance: "WTB <insert 50 odd games here>". Really? You want to buy 50 odd games? How do you intend to play all of these games unless you are the owner of zero social life, any form of employment and a time machine?

I mean if that's what gets you off then go you NerdMaster 4000, but for me that's not what life is about.

I do find it highly entertaining seeing people's photos of gargantuan collections, which makes their living spaces look like they are a GAME franchisee. You've got people out here with more silicon than Pamela Anderson.
                Come on joe, that’s abit unfair. I am sure it was what life was about for you at one point.....

Comment

Joe's posts in here make me laugh. There's definitely some truth to it. At the same time, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with collecting games you don't play. My mum collects those antique Victorian plates that say stuff like 'A present from Wrexham' on. It's not like I go to see her and crap all over her because they just go on a shelf and she never actually intends to eat off them.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    Come on joe, that’s abit unfair. I am sure it was what life was about for you at one point.....
                    It was, but then I realised what an utterly stupid pursuit it was. Having a room full of games than I never played is probably the most pointless thing I've done. It's a complete waste of money for starters, and it isn't like anybody came around to marvel at my collection of spines that they couldn't even read like I was some gaming messiah.

It's a dangerous thing I think. I try not to collect anything nowadays as it is too easy to get overwhelmed and lose sight of what it is that you actually set out to do. Nowadays I only buy digital for the one single console that I own. I don't have anything to worry about in terms of storage and when I do buy a game, I enjoy it as much as I can; often completing it many times to get the full value out of it. There are people who buy more games in a month than I buy in a year nowadays. Spreading themselves too thinly and not enjoying games fully as I'm quite sure that like me, free time is at a premium being that we aren't children anymore, even though I do have the luxury of 18-hour sessions should I choose.

I do have a lot of trainers, but I wear all of them. I don't buy them for collection purposes and have them in display cabinets never to touch a human foot, because that is just silly.

Just my thoughts, but I bet many of you are sitting on a proverbial gold mine of useless items that you could sell on to fund a more exciting and wholesome lifestyle.
                    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Which console do you own?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        Joe's posts in here make me laugh. There's definitely some truth to it. At the same time, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with collecting games you don't play. My mum collects those antique Victorian plates that say stuff like 'A present from Wrexham' on. It's not like I go to see her and crap all over her because they just go on a shelf and she never actually intends to eat off them.
                        Those plates are ornaments though. Their very nature is to be put on display to look at, and they are serving their intended purpose. Games are designed to be played, not kept away in some cabinet not to be touched by human hands in case their value decreases, which is not their intended purpose.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
                          Which console do you own?
                          PS4 Pro. I do have VR, but that's an umbrella console as it requires the PS4 to function.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

[MENTION=2732]J0e Musashi[/MENTION] Yeah, I guess that's true. A better example might be stamp collecting. There's nothing wrong with that, a bit nerdy maybe, but then I'm hardly one to talk.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying though. Filling your shelves with unplayed games can be a very empty way of spending your time and money. I'll sometimes catch myself inspecting Megadrive games on Ebay, mentally forming lists about what I'd buy, what region I'd get certain games in, the hardware mods I'd need, all that, but then I never go through with it just because it seems like a pointless money sink in the end.

Something I do like to do though is build up a backlog of what I've read/played/watched. I only buy a book if I'm gonna read immediately/imminently read it, a film if I'm going to immediately/imminently watch it, a game if I'm going to immediately/imminently play it. Having bought and read/watched/played that thing, I then do like to put it on my shelf with all my other ones. It's decoration of a sort. It's stuff I like and have a history with.

But that's quite different to getting a minty Zanac x Zanac, giving it 20 mins go, then shelving it and the only interaction with it being an occasional check of its value on Ebay.

Comment

It's probably habitual for many.

You get paid, look on eBay, find an expensive rarity, decide whether you can suffer Super Noodles for a month and then buy it. All excited from the anticipation of the postperson delivering it to you. Then it arrives, you give it a good look over, maybe have a read of the manual and even a quick 20 minutes of playing it. Then it gets put on the shelf, the novelty having worn off, never to see the laser of the CD tray again. If it happens to be a sealed copy, then I'd imagine it just goes straight to the storage medium, without even having been remotely enjoyed at all.

Then it begins again.

When something is the norm, it's very easy to just keep repeating the routine. Then all of a sudden you've got your own games shop.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I think a lot of this comes from most of us only getting one game for birthdays and maybe one or two at Christmas... some of us vastly over-compensate for this once we grow up and have our own disposable income, and then one day you wake up and realise you’re MetalJesusSucks...

Comment

Working...
                                X