Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    and it isn't like anybody came around to marvel at my collection of spines

I think some(maybe a lot) of people who have games collections probably wish they had loads of friends and family that appreciated their gaming stuff and wanted to look at and use it. When a collection ends up being something personal that other people hardly ever take an interest in, it can feel pointless, so you naturally lose enthusiasm.

When I was a kid/teen, part of the gaming hobby was showing off new hardware and games to friends who shared my enthusiasm, but that faded away as we grew up. I don't think many adults who love gaming are lucky enough to have lots of friends who visit their home to indulge a passion for all sorts of gaming. If that were normal/common, having collections would probably feel more positive and worthwhile.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 08-06-2018, 13:32.

Comment

It all turns into an internet willy-waggling contest, because no one in real life gives a **** about the games on your shelf (in fact they probably think your latest £250 PlayStation game purchase is an irresponsible waste of money)... so let’s post pictures online and get ‘likes’ to feed that mental condition.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Sun's out.

Get building that minicinema!

Have been doing this, 2 hrs every night. Almost finished!

Note new 'in thing' design of kitchen island

Comment

My friends all hunt trophies, I don't even really have peers that I can enjoy my video games with.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            It's probably habitual for many.

You get paid, look on eBay, find an expensive rarity, decide whether you can suffer Super Noodles for a month and then buy it. All excited from the anticipation of the postperson delivering it to you. Then it arrives, you give it a good look over, maybe have a read of the manual and even a quick 20 minutes of playing it. Then it gets put on the shelf, the novelty having worn off, never to see the laser of the CD tray again. If it happens to be a sealed copy, then I'd imagine it just goes straight to the storage medium, without even having been remotely enjoyed at all.

Then it begins again.

When something is the norm, it's very easy to just keep repeating the routine. Then all of a sudden you've got your own games shop.
            People have always collected things and always will. Just because your fed up doing it, doesn’t make it crazy or wrong. If it makes people happy and doesn’t become too obsessive (that’s the real danger; and I’m sure that there are loads of members on here that can attest to this), then it’s just like any other hobby. I have been through most of over the last 35 years of gaming and although I have a nice collection of games (probably about 200-300 inc about 15 Sealed games, mainly of my all time favs).

Thankfully I now don’t spend vast sums of money on games, like I used too and tbh, emulation is the way forward for me and most of my spare cash now goes on crt monitors! Thank goodness for an understanding partner!

Comment

[MENTION=2390]Pavey[/MENTION]: That's going to be lovely when it's finished! Looks nice and light, despite the depth of the room.
              Make sure you add a pop-up power tower on the island!
              Oh, and a put a Sweep-o-Vac in the skirting for ultimate cool points!

Back on topic, I pretty much agree with everything J0e's said.
              Obviously he's a lot ruder than me, but I can't argue!

I've got a lot of consoles just because I'm a hoarder and still have stuff from the first time around.
              I went to the UK Games Expo (board games) at the weekend and somebody on Facebook was really happy with a mint, sealed "grail" game they'd been after.
              Personally, I'm perfectly alright if the box is all tatty but all the components necessary are there and it still plays, but it's loads cheaper because it's not M.I.B..

I always feel sorry for the games sat on a shelf, unplayed, going insane like Stinky Pete.

However a couple of you guys have breathtaking collections in your houses.
              I'm glad they're in your house, mind you!

Comment

Thanks Dave. Is 6m out and 5.5 across, so went for two rooflights to keep it light and airy.

Currently running the electrics and the wife asked why i needed 10 sockets behind where the tv is going, she'll never understand!

Comment

I upgraded the 4-port HDMI switch to a 6-port one. Now all my troubles are over!

1. PS3
                  2. PS4
                  3. 360
                  4. One
                  5. OG Xbox
                  6. Virgin Tivo

Oh wait, you've bought a Switch? Already there's not enough ports?!

Comment

QC speak on that og Xbox hdmi please. I believe you have before but a refresher would be nice as to how it looks, thanks

Also at the nerds copping pleas because an ex-nerd laid the smack down.

But wait, I’m here too...

*looks in mirror*
                    *sees Duane Dibbley*
                    *goes back to being The Cat (or possibly The Twat) online*

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I think some(maybe a lot) of people who have games collections probably wish they had loads of friends and family that appreciated their gaming stuff and wanted to look at and use it. When a collection ends up being something personal that other people hardly ever take an interest in, it can feel pointless, so you naturally lose enthusiasm.

When I was a kid/teen, part of the gaming hobby was showing off new hardware and games to friends who shared my enthusiasm, but that faded away as we grew up. I don't think many adults who love gaming are lucky enough to have lots of friends who visit their home to indulge a passion for all sorts of gaming. If that were normal/common, having collections would probably feel more positive and worthwhile.
                      Well said. I only wish I lived by you and enjoy your collection of games and talk gaming. So sad that some look to mock people or call them names for enjoying and having a love of games. One would expect better on a gaming forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                        Well said. I only wish I lived by you and enjoy your collection of games and talk gaming. So sad that some look to mock people or call them names for enjoying and having a love of games. One would expect better on a gaming forum.
                        Quick, run to your safe space before the bad man gets you!

Ultimately I think you can safely say that the folks that post on here on the regular are the nerdiest type of nerds due to a) the nature of the forum at its inception and b) the nature of the forum nowadays.

Back up your words with action [MENTION=2732]J0e Musashi[/MENTION] and delete your account to prove you're truly beyond all of this and use all of that newfound time to take a reality check and go on a really nice holiday for your wife and children or just admit the truth that you, yes you, are the nerdiest nerdlinger in all of nerdistan. Which ultimately you will do if you keep on posting after this.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                          Quick, run to your safe space before the bad man gets you!

Ultimately I think you can safely say that the folks that post on here on the regular are the nerdiest type of nerds due to a) the nature of the forum at its inception and b) the nature of the forum nowadays.

Back up your words with action [MENTION=2732]J0e Musashi[/MENTION] and delete your account to prove you're truly beyond all of this and use all of that newfound time to take a reality check and go on a really nice holiday for your wife and children or just admit the truth that you, yes you, are the nerdiest nerdlinger in all of nerdistan. Which ultimately you will do if you keep on posting after this.
                          Still got that PS grudge I see... I'm loving life at the moment , in Liverpool having a ball with my good women . Only wish Yakamo was back in his home town, so I could talk Sega Saturn Speak.

Comment

Women (plural)?

Comment

Haven't read this whole thread but I sold the bulk of my collection a while ago. Occasionally (maybe frequently!) I do get pangs that I shouldn't have sold it. I sold all my Saturn gear I bought when I lived in Japan, but I only regret that sometimes due to the memories I had while I was there. Probably the same thing with my Japanese MD collection. I think the latter I was only collecting because of the lovely box art. Truth is though unless I win the lottery I'm never buying it back. If I want to play it I can on any emulator, and it's only then I realise that largely most of what I had was purely for aesthetic reasons not because the games were great.I mean Splatterhouse part II is ****, but the Japanese box is lovely! I think the only thing I really regret selling was all the custom gear I made like the Consolised MVS, it looked lovely, hence I'm never selling this converted Dino King!
                              3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                                Still got that PS grudge I see... I'm loving life at the moment , in Liverpool having a ball with my good women . Only wish Yakamo was back in his home town, so I could talk Sega Saturn Speak.
                                What the heck is a PS grudge? You lost me right there

Comment

Working...
                                X