Retro news too small for its own thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro news too small for its own thread

Since this has been a useful thread elsewhere on the forum, I thought I'd make one here.

First up - Harmful Park has now received a translation patch.

I'm looking forward to finding out what actually is being said in those rather nicely drawn cutscenes.

Link to the patch (NB mods - not to the ROM, just the translation patch):

This is a full English patch for Harmful Park, the colorful shoot-em-up on PlayStation. All cutscene

Also, on a side note, is it me, or are there more translation patches being released at a faster pace than ever? It used to be a rare treat, with many a decade or more in gestation. Now some teams seem to be knocking them out nineteen to the dozen. It's great!

I guess once you've gotten to grips on a project you get pretty good at stuff like this. With alternative boot methods and FPGA options alongside emulation nowadays you've got plenty of options to play them too.

Comment

Good plan, I'd previously fancied making a fan translation thread in here but having the scope a bit wider probably has a better chance of keeping it going! Saw the Harmful Park patch news last week, which may have prompted me to do a silly thing.

Lots of love for the fan translation scene though, particularly when it starts shining lights on games that completely passed me by otherwise. I thought I was pretty familiar with game libraries throughout the 16 and 32 bit eras, but no, turns out there's still loads of interesting titles that I had no idea about.

Comment

Mac users with Apple silicon machines now have a native PS2 emulator available to them - it's a port of an Android emulator called AetherSX2:

I've just given it a very quick test run with Outrun 2 SP (which now handily has a fan translation available for the menus!), and it performed terrifically at 4K/60.

Quite excited about this and will be testing more games

Comment

The arcade game Thrill Drive 3 (which runs on the Konami Python 2, effectively a PS2 inside an arcade cabinet) has been made to work on both emulator and standard PS2 hardware: https://archive.org/details/thrill-drive-3-1

And here's a video explaining the whole thing:

Comment

Interesting how much modified console hardware made its way into arcades. I suppose it makes sense you, why build the architecture for something when you've got a perfectly good system sitting there.

Comment

An fpga Amiga that uses a real 68000 cpu.

Comment

Columbus Circle are doing another ground of reprints for Gleylancer, this time for the 30th anniversary and with a 3-track arrange CD.

It's up on Amazon JP here but I'd expect other importers are also getting some stock, so worth watching out. I'm sure there was someone here that was after a copy but I can't remember who, if someone with a better memory than I remembers please tag them!

Comment

There's been an article (which I'm intentionally not linking) which has made it to Twitter's trending topics with the following headline:

Great Scott! Rare ‘Back to the Future’ VHS sells for $75,000 at Texas auction house
                  Can we guess which "Texas auction house" they're talking about? Yes, we can.
                  Are they widening the scope of the grift? Seems like it's quite possible!
                  Do we need to lend it legitimacy by sharing the story? Absolutely not.

Comment

So a GameCube IPL replacement solution was released yesterday named PicoBoot. It utilises Raspberry Pi Pico hardware and automatically boots any IPL (such as Swiss) that you want on power on, this removes the need for any kind of boot disc or usage of the drive at all. Very old modchips had something like this but they've been out of production for around 15 years and as a bonus a Pi Pico is about £5 delivered.

Installed it yesterday and it works just great, still awaiting the sd2sp2 that I ordered though.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                      So a GameCube IPL replacement solution was released yesterday named PicoBoot. It utilises Raspberry Pi Pico hardware and automatically boots any IPL (such as Swiss) that you want on power on, this removes the need for any kind of boot disc or usage of the drive at all. Very old modchips had something like this but they've been out of production for around 15 years and as a bonus a Pi Pico is about £5 delivered.

Installed it yesterday and it works just great, still awaiting the sd2sp2 that I ordered though.

This sounds good. I've been looking at getting some kind of HDMI solution for the GC and would like to force my PAL games to 480p, but there didn't seem to be a really straight forward way to boot Swiss. This looks promising!

Comment

Same person behind the recent Racing Lagoon and Harmful Park translations has another coming so soon!

Comment

I can't really think of anywhere else to put this, but I stumbled upon this on the Chinese junk merchant "Wish".

What's on the cartridge? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

Comment

Haha that looks like one of those Obvious Plant fake products.

'Discs five and six!'

'The fox is not in this one'

'Better than the games about plumbers'

Comment

Another ambitious Saturn project being undertaken by the team behind the Bulk Slash translation patch;

Comment

Working...
                              X