Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    So there you have it. When Jack said "that isn't what it means" he wasn't kidding!
    Interesting, I took that bit to mean Jack sees his Tattoo as representing his role as a great leader, so for her to suggest it refers to his current situation amongst the others would indeed be very wrong in his eyes. Or very right. Erm I confused again
    Last edited by spagmasterswift; 26-02-2007, 10:54. Reason: Poxy Lost

Comment

This is a post from a spoilers type site -

So what do jack's tattoos really mean? I'll give you a hint... it isn't "He walks among us, but he is not one of us." In fact this is nowhere near correct. Our friends at LostPedia.com settled that a LONG time ago:

A word by word explanation of the 4 Chinese characters on the tattoo:
      The first character(鹰) means eagle.
      The second character(击) means strike, as a verb.
      The third one(長) means long.
      The final one(空) means "sky","space",void,"empty".
      These characters are pronounced ying ji chang kong (in PinYin)

These four characters are taken from a famous poem written by Chairman Mao Tse-tung (MAO Zhedong). It can be roughly translated as "Eagles high, cleaving sky", or more simply, "the Eagles fly up on the sky". But the poem itself has a deeper meaning. In the end of the first stanza, the poet asks, "who masters fate's rise and descent?"

So there you have it. When Jack said "that isn't what it means" he wasn't kidding!

--------------------------

I see the connection here being Jack is one of the few people who can decide the fate of others. With his medical skill he if faced with the moral duty to save lives, even that of his 'enemy'.
      I think people are reading way more into the tattoos than they should. Mathew Fox actually has those tattoos in real life, so rather than do cover up all the time the producers thought they would find some way to write them into the show. They most likely assumed that most of the audience for Lost will not be able to read the actual kanji, and so will believe whatever meaning they are told, and one which works with the plot.

Comment

I get as much enjoyment from the show with the speculation, whether real or uh, speculative! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
          Interesting, I took that bit to mean Jack sees his Tattoo as representing his role as a great leader, so for her to suggest it refers to his current situation amongst the others would indeed be very wrong in his eyes. Or very right. Erm I confused again
          Totally agree with this Spag, its what I thought aswell. Def think what Jack said shows he feels there is a deeper meaning in the tattoo and not that it means something else. Great episode by the way, really enjoying Lost again.

Comment

Isn't it VERY simple.

It might SAY that, but it doesn't MEAN that. IE what it says is unimportant but it's what it MEANS that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
              Isn't it VERY simple.

It might SAY that, but it doesn't MEAN that. IE what it says is unimportant but it's what it MEANS that counts.
              Thats what we meant, it aint as complicated as the detail above.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
                I think people are reading way more into the tattoos than they should. Mathew Fox actually has those tattoos in real life, so rather than do cover up all the time the producers thought they would find some way to write them into the show. They most likely assumed that most of the audience for Lost will not be able to read the actual kanji, and so will believe whatever meaning they are told, and one which works with the plot.
                This - He's had the tattoos for a long time and during S1 all the speculating started as to what they meant/were for so they decided at some point they'd write it into the story - I presume the big number 5 is due to the fact "Party of 5" gave him his big break !!!!

Nothing to see here - move along.

Comment

I get as much enjoyment from the show with the speculation, whether real or uh, speculative! :-)
                  That - everything is pretty much being made up and put in the show know as they drag it out until they get the word to end it. The fun is in the speculation and theorising innit?!

Comment

Well I spent a good 2 hours on www.lostpedia.com and now my head really IS ready to explode.

The Sri Lanka video they show on there is crazy. There seems to be absolutely shedloads of back story all wrapped up in an conspiracy / enigma / coverup do daa.

Comment

new one out today, woop! gonna watch before work

really enjoyed todays episode, made me laugh quite a bit and had a nice cliff hanger style ending although quite predictable.

I think i've come to terms with the fact that we're gonna get episodes like this where not alot happens but you enjoy watching them live on the island. It's not all about answers ASAP.
                      Last edited by Dezm0nd; 01-03-2007, 09:59.

Comment

Not about answers? Compared to Heroes right now, Lost barely offers scraps.

It was a good filler episode however. Won't complain over either a Hurley or Locke-centric episode.

Comment

I really enjoyed the money shot with the VW camper, but apart from that I thought it was a total waste of an episode. Sorry.

Comment

Another episode were nothing happens, not even sure why I still watch.

Comment

i really liked that one. even though they gave away more of the 'real' story last week, i enjoyed this one loads more.
                              you cant go wrong with hurley stories as far as i'm concerned. really nice to have a feel good, almost comedy episode....as long as they get back to some of the mysteries next time that is.

sawyer had some great lines again, and driving the van down the hill was class

Comment

it was definitely a comic episode where you dont even care about Ben and co you just enjoy their life on the beach.

Getting bored of people who say "nothing happened" because i've come to terms that we're just gonna have to wait for it. Filler episode it was, sure, but it was done about 100x better than Charlies "save the baby" episode in season 2. This one has comedy all through it, great fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X