Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
    Spent all week avoiding spoilers coming in from every angle, finally got to watch it tonight without a clue on how it would end.

What a shame. The show had some sublime moments, usually coming at the end of each season (the end of season three being the highlight of the entire run in my opinion), however this was an average episode to end an average season.

The last 16 episodes went in completely the wrong direction, creating a whole new fiction when it wasn't required and spending the big final episode on solving that new fiction rather than the five years of material that came before. Quite frankly this episode bored me!

A massive let down
    Totally agree with you there. If the show had been about people being lost then i think the ending would of been a good send off, but the show was so much more than that. Timetravel, Life, Death, The island itself, Jacob and his brother and so much more i cant list it all. And then to explain none of this is just a complete cop out! yes i would love some mystery i mean i dont want to know the details of everything but to give nothing is a letdown.

It just seems the whole show was pointless in the end, i mean if the characters had learned and grown while being on the island then there would be some kind of payoff. But out of all of them the only person who really changed on the island was Jack the rest all just seem to stay the same did not gain anything from being on the island. If only they had kept to some sort of story and followed with it instead of leaving a massive mess of a show when the final credits rolled.

Comment

I haven't read all of the theorizing here, but were they definitely alive the whole time they were on the island then? Locke's dad hinted that they were in hell in an earlier series (when he got mysteriously summoned... was that ever explained?), and Richard said much the same a few episodes ago. But if they had been dead from day one, then

Jack's dad's explanation of all the friends who were most important in their lives coming together in the afterlife doesn't make much sense if they only met each other IN the afterlife.

edit - added spoiler tags just in case there are some slowpokes out there

Comment

No, they weren't all dead on the island!!

Comment

So what were Locke's dad and Richard on about then?

Comment

Originally posted by halfhearts View Post
            Totally agree with you there. If the show had been about people being lost then i think the ending would of been a good send off, but the show was so much more than that. Timetravel, Life, Death, The island itself, Jacob and his brother and so much more i cant list it all. And then to explain none of this is just a complete cop out! yes i would love some mystery i mean i dont want to know the details of everything but to give nothing is a letdown.

It just seems the whole show was pointless in the end, i mean if the characters had learned and grown while being on the island then there would be some kind of payoff. But out of all of them the only person who really changed on the island was Jack the rest all just seem to stay the same did not gain anything from being on the island. If only they had kept to some sort of story and followed with it instead of leaving a massive mess of a show when the final credits rolled.
            Most of the characters changed on the Island, Sawyer and Jin in particular did. If you compare how the characters acted during this season to the first you will see a massive difference.

Sorry but your post is just plain wrong.

Comment

Yeah, many of the characters went through huge changes over the 3 to 4 years the show was set over.

Comment

I would like to have seen a bit more closure with Miles - He had one of the most interesting backgrounds. His dry wit throughout the show always raised a smile.

Comment

Sawyer has always been the same that's what I liked about his character tbh a no nonsense kind of character. Even in the last epsiode he doesn't really care about the island just as he did in the first. His stint with juliet was touching and the end of that season was great, but I get the feeling he will go back to his old ways and well Jin you know what happened to him. :/ eloise her story never explained I'm still
                  reeling about it especially since the early seasons were epic that's probally why I was most dissapointed. Just sad really.

Comment

Sawyer has always been the same that's what I liked about his character tbh a no nonsense kind of character. Even in the last epsiode he doesn't really care about the island just as he did in the first. His stint with juliet was touching and the end of that season was great, but I get the feeling he will go back to his old ways and well Jin you know what happened to him. :/ eloise her story never explained I'm still
                    reeling about it especially since the early seasons were epic that's probally why I was most dissapointed. Just sad really.
                    I think the fact that sawyer was

a cop in purgatory

showed he didnt go back to his old ways. he grew as a character amazingly from season to season. Pretty much the best thing about Lost was its character development. I dont think you have thought about things very well. Sorry but I think you are so off the mark. It was a brilliant ending.
                    Last edited by rmoxon; 30-05-2010, 02:22.

Comment

Lost was all about the island first and the characters second for me. As a character show it wasn't that great, but the characters on a mystery island was interesting and at times brilliant. The ending, and the last season, would have been better off not even happening as the only satisfying conclusion was the two bodies in the cave.

Comment

Well people take different things from the show and people have their own opinions about it and I wouldn't tell people there just plain wrong about something I'm not like that. I'm not trashing Lost so don't get upset because it truly was great it just kind of lost it's way in the end.

I don't know if we could trust the afterlife since it wasn't real and they had no memory at all of the island which makes him learning from the experience impossible unless it was on a sub conscious level. The whole afterlife story was a way to wrap the story up and give it a happy ending.
                        I would of recommended this show to people before (maybe still for the first few seasons) but now I would warn them to stay well clear because of the mess it ended with. I knew they would not conclude things so I should of prepared myself. I'm just going to remember the good old days and wish I'd left it on a high and forget the bad taste it left in my mouth after the finale.

Best moment for me was the Charlie scene "not pennys boat".

Comment

Well people take different things from the show and people have their own opinions about it and I wouldn't tell people there just plain wrong about something I'm not like that. I'm not trashing Lost so don't get upset because it truly was great it just kind of lost it's way in the end.

I don't know if we could trust the afterlife since it wasn't real and they had no memory at all of the island which makes him learning from the experience impossible unless it was on a sub conscious level. The whole afterlife story was a way to wrap the story up and give it a happy ending.
                          I would of recommended this show to people before (maybe still for the first few seasons) but now I would warn them to stay well clear because of the mess it ended with. I knew they would not conclude things so I should of prepared myself. I'm just going to remember the good old days and wish I'd left it on a high and forget the bad taste it left in my mouth after the finale.

Best moment for me was the Charlie scene "not pennys boat".
                          Sorry, I didnt mean your opinion on the episode was wrong, you are entutled too it.

But was wrong was you said the show never has any character development besides with Jack, and that IS wrong, its a false statment. The characters on lost were pretty deep and developed well over the years.

Comment

My 2p worth ...

Re the 101 complaints made against the Lost finale -- two of the more common ones: being misled, and being emotionally manipulative ...

Re: being misled
                            The flash sideways being purgatory, Desmond not actually being that integral to the finale etc. etc. Could they not simply be seen as twists? No?

Re: being emotionally manipulative
                            Vincent at the end; the score being used in "not actually that emotional of a scene" -- name me one tv show/film not to bloody do that!!!

(Sorry, been listening to a few Lost podcast round-ups today)
                            Last edited by nickgodfrey; 02-06-2010, 20:14.

Comment

I can't think of a better way to end it,

Wait, I know! It was all a dream!

Can you imagine how robbed the world would have felt if that had happened?

Comment

They did that with Crossroads and I was not happy

Comment

Working...
                                X