New Series of Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
    I can honestly say I am very much looking forward to Steven Moffat leaving Who and falling down a very deep well.
    Hear hear. I only watched one or two episodes from the last season (or maybe the season before? I'm not sure) and I found the storylines atrocious. The one I remember particularly is the one with the "haunted house" which turns out to be a projection of the consciousness of a childhood with an unhappy family life. It wasn't a great idea to start with, but it was a lot darker than it needed to be, what with the mannekin/doll things.

It's a shame, because Matt Smith plays an excellent Doctor, but he's playing it in all these crappy plotlines.

Comment

Originally posted by danstan21 View Post
      Hear hear. I only watched one or two episodes from the last season (or maybe the season before? I'm not sure) and I found the storylines atrocious. The one I remember particularly is the one with the "haunted house" which turns out to be a projection of the consciousness of a childhood with an unhappy family life. It wasn't a great idea to start with, but it was a lot darker than it needed to be, what with the mannekin/doll things.

It's a shame, because Matt Smith plays an excellent Doctor, but he's playing it in all these crappy plotlines.
      I'd have said that about David Tennant's time. A fine, fine actor and doctor but some VERY bad stories. RTD was both the best and the worst thing to happen to DW. Every time Moffat wrote an episode for him it was regarded as the best of the current series and his episodes continue to be excellent. He can't be blamed outright for episodes he doesn't write.

Comment

I actually prefer Moffat to RTD.

I didn't think they would be able to keep up with the Tennant era, but in a lot of ways they have eclipsed it. Tennant is still better than Smith (just) but there is so much more better stuff in the last couple of series than in the previous 4. The 'style' of the last couple of series has been a lot more to my liking than the previous series and there are very few episodes in the Smith era that I have not liked. Having the same companions (up till now) has probably helped too rather than flicking between like they did in the first 4 series.

Regarding the CGI, that's a staple of Doctor Who and in could be a lot worse, CGI does not come cheap, I actually don't mind it myself and it gives the show a certain charm.

I don't think the show will last past the next series or so though, but then it seems to me that they are starting to wrap things up already any. I'm sure there will be a reboot a few years after that, its pretty amazing that its 50 years old next year though.

I also love the fact that the Doctor is now embracing the term 'Doctor Who' , finally after 50 years, very nice to see that.

Comment

The phrase 'Doctor Who' has been used in the show as far back as I can remember, it's a running joke. I really don't think they will reboot something that has 50 years of continuity, especially when the entire premise of the show is built on the concept of 'rebooting' it with each incarnation anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
            I'd have said that about David Tennant's time. A fine, fine actor and doctor but some VERY bad stories. RTD was both the best and the worst thing to happen to DW. Every time Moffat wrote an episode for him it was regarded as the best of the current series and his episodes continue to be excellent. He can't be blamed outright for episodes he doesn't write.
            Blink and the Silence in the Library two parter were some of the best episodes of the revived series, but now that Moffat is in charge of the entire show, he's really disappeared up his own arse. His 'the show is clever, and anyone who doesn't like it is stupid' quote from a few pages back really proves what an asshole he is.

Comment

Urgh! Just watched Asylum. I was really hoping the
              thing was heading towards Rory staying on as companion even after Amy left, but it was back to usual by the end of the episode! I guess in Steven Moffat Land, life changing events can be dealt with and forgotten within the span of 45 minutes. Wouldn't be the first time!

Actually not sure what Amy was babbling on about with regards to 'what they did to her at Demons' Run'. Did she mean physically or mentally? If not physically, has she never heard of adoption?

Nice to see Amy slap Rory, then tell us she's Scottish. You know, keep things fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                The phrase 'Doctor Who' has been used in the show as far back as I can remember, it's a running joke. I really don't think they will reboot something that has 50 years of continuity, especially when the entire premise of the show is built on the concept of 'rebooting' it with each incarnation anyway.
                I understand that .. I guess the point was that the Doctor himself is now using the phrase, almost like he is accepting it as a name.

Comment

I did really like how they did it at the end of last series, but in Asylum it was total overkill, with all the Daleks screaming it and the Doctor repeating it to himself. We get it! It's the name of the show! I'm hoping that was just a little reminder for the viewers, since it's been off air for so ****ing long. Crossing my fingers he won't be saying it in every frigging episode.

Comment

I'm sure he wont ... that wouldn't be good

Comment

In Saturday's episode why was Amy seeing things/passed out if

the Doctor had slipped his nanocloud protection thingy on her wrist earlier on?

Doesn't make sense.

Comment

Because she's a ****ing attention seeker.

Comment

Because I suspect it merely halted the degeneration caused by the nanocloud, and she only slowly started to recover.
                          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Ok, let's talk Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

First thing that annoyed me - the line "Mustn't forget the Ponds, haven't seen them in ages!" I know the Doctor hasn't seen them in ages, but for me, this was a hilariously insulting statement, since we saw the dullards last episode. In fact, to the best of my recollection, we've seen them in every single episode since their supposed 'departure'. It really doesn't make a lot of sense that the Doctor would go back to them. Why are they always at the forefront of his mind when he needs some friends to help him out? Because they're the ones he saw last? What about all the other companions he's had? Is his memory that bad?

Mark Williams was very good. Reminded me a little of having Bernard Cribbins on the show. What I wouldn't give for HIM to be the new companion! Doubtful they would do anything as daring as that though - too much of a sausage fest. They need some way to show the Doctor does not have a case of the notgays.

Someone I was not pleased to see - Nefertiti. I will choke on one more 'strong female character'. How about you write actual characters, you know, with depth.

Another annoying line - "Like Argos for the universe". Why does the Doctor talk like he's from Earth? Because the writers can't write, that's why.

For an episode that was so humour-based (and it was a very funny episode), Mitchell and Webb were a completely wasted opportunity. I can only assume they had no input in the dialogue of their characters, because it had the whiff of the phoned-in performances they always give for anything other than Peep Show and their own scripts.

Comment

Only two episodes in and the trend has been set. Daleks asking - Doctor 'Who'?, Mustn't forget the Ponds as mentioned above, including Solomon's inability to find any reference to the doctor on his ID database.
                              The doctor is being forgotten, wiped out of memories, human or alien.

Comment

Is there going to be an explanation for this? Or is it just some more bull**** Moffat-logic? He faked his own death, ok (although he still goes round telling everyone he's the Doctor, so I'm not sure how he (Moffat/the Doctor) thinks that's going to work - so much for moving back into the shadows), and the Dalek's had their memories wiped. So why did the scanner thing find no information on the Doctor?

Comment

Working...
                                X