New Series of Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
    I'm curious as to how they're going to get the new assistant from Episode 1 to being in the show. She doesn't already know him so that rules out a past version of her (River style). I have a theory...
    It will just be the usual 'oh that was my twin sister / cousin' routine I imagine, can't see any other way around it really.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
      I wish they'd got Sally Sparrow as his next assistant.
      I doubt she's regretting it.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
        It will just be the usual 'oh that was my twin sister / cousin' routine I imagine, can't see any other way around it really.
        Presumably she will encounter the Doctor before she ends up on the Dalek prison planet. And the Doctor never saw how she looked as a human anyway.

Comment

So that's that then, no more Who until Christmas.

I still think Moffat is the right man for the job but he really needs someone to stand up to him and challenge some of his ideas. He's still the best writer and has some the ideas are cracking but they really need a few more passes on the script as these stories are full of holes. The BBC must be treating him like some sort of God after the success of Who and Sherlock (and TinTin), he needs someone else along side him to reel him in a bit.

Latest episode was Ok but a few things bugged me

- What was the point of the statue of liberty? It did nothing and why could we hear it moving? It was like the whole point of setting the episode in new york was to use it and yet it didn't do anything!
          - Several times through the episode people stopped looking at the statues and nothing happened. Nowhere near as tightly made as Blink
          - Why couldn't the Doctor visit Amy and Rory again? The timeline is messed up in that year but nothing to say he couldn't go get them a year later. Or they could have arranged (via the book) to move somewhere else

Comment

I thought it started out really well but ended up convoluted and rushed, leaving me confused and disappointed rather than emotional as promised. The show needs to keep things a lot simpler and stop making up physics.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't feel that was a very fitting ending for

Rory and Amy who have been great characters for the last few series. Lots of people have been saying it was a tear jerker, but it was one of the most unemotionally charged episodes for me for a long time.

I'd agree that Moffat being in charge of the series does seem to be taking it's toll on how well put together his episodes are. The plot holes in this one were pretty silly and as amusing as the

Statue of Liberty being a giant Angel

might have been, it made very little sense. Nobody was concerned about the

big stone lady just upping and abouting across New York? Even if it was done in the blink of an eye, someone would notice. And if the Angels could suck you back through time with just a touch, why would you even need a big showy super-Angel like that?

I think you're supposed to believe that the Dr. couldn't revisit them because they were destined to

stay in that room forever, since they were then trapped in the building belonged to the Angels. At least that was how they tried to pitch it with Rory dying in that room initially.

However that doesn't explain why, when most of them got zapped out of existence, the building was even still there. Or how, if they were trapped there they would have got the book out... And if they weren't trapped there, then he could just go and visit them at any time frame.

It's a badly cobbled together mess really.

Comment

Just finished watching the episode myself - very mixed feelings about it. It was emotional, sure, but I'd have preferred a different send off for them. I didn't think that

being trapped in a building together for the rest of their lives

was a particularly nice way for such great characters to exit the show.

I'd have quite liked to have seen them involved in the anniversary episodes as well, so their departures could have been timed a bit better. In my opinion, the three of them should have left together. It'll be weird seeing Matt with Jenna now. I think they will struggle to match the same level of chemistry sadly.

Comment

Re the building

I don't think they did spend their lives in the building. They erased it as part of the paradox

Comment

Yup,

far as I can gather, the last Angel simply sent Rory back in the standard way, so he lived his life normally but in New York through the decades rather than in the apartment building which was no longer used by the Angels.

I'd love for Rory's Dad to pop up again at some point in the remainder of Series 7 next year, it'd be great to see the Doctor have to face him after their last meeting when he asked the Doc to return them safely. However, regarding the ep itself, it did 2 things for me.

1-It once again proved that the Angels were a 1 time deal and each reappearance diminishes their impact from Blink more and more. There's a real wonkiness to their set up now with them either killing if starved or putting people back in time if merely hungry and the time mechanic in itself isn't imposing enough. It only worked in Blink because the story of that episode was so smartly wrapped around it.

2-The episode was a fairly weak end for the two characters and I can't help but feel like that was in no small part because the behind-the-scenes team had run of ideas for them. Rory and Amy have been spinning their wheels for a good while now and it was a limp ending for tired characters. I'm happy to see Smith stay on board and I think having a new companion is exactly what the show needs to energise not just itself, but also the Doctor.

I thought River was pretty pointless too, she seemed to only really be around

to highlight her time with the Doctor is starting to run out as he catches up again with later incarnations or her

Typically, IGN thinks its one of the best episodes... muppets
                    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 01-10-2012, 07:40.

Comment

Got a bit teary at the end but it was actually a fairly pish episode. River continues to annoy as much as ever.

Comment

First image from the new Tardis interior

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                          http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12...hos-new-tardis

First image from the new Tardis interior
                          They must be cutting back on the budget! ... Looks very retro though!

Comment

The new Tardis room was surprisingly alright, more basic but still having some relevant new who elements. New companion is still proving to be a welcome change from the ponds too. Richard E Grant seemed underutilised and it felt awkward as an Xmas special thanks to having to tie up two halves of a series because the BBC doesn't have the balls to sort Moffat and the team out.

Comment

I thought it was unfortunate that

Victorian Clara was killed off. Would have made a refreshing change to have him travel with a period companion like her.

Enjoyed the episode though, thought they'd make references to the Ponds apart from some not so subtle plot points, but it just shows that the series is keen to move on and leave them be which is probably a good thing. Wasn't keen on doc 10 obsessing over Rose after she'd disappeared.

Comment

Finally forced myself to sit down and struggle through 2012's episodes. From last year's absolutely atrocious Christmas special (worse than even the foulest crap RTD has been responsible for COUGHFEARHERCOUGH) to this year's, it's been one of the poorest 12 months for Doctor Who ever. We have at long last seen the back of Amy, thank Christ. I just think it's all to late, though. Moffat's heavy handed approach and ****ing AWFUL script writing and namby pamby, overly complicated and nonsensical story writing have virtually destroyed any enjoyment I get from Who. I enjoyed the 'question' gimmick at the end of the last series. I was concerned by it's reappearance in the start of the latest series. I was ready to kick my laptop through an electric fan by the time we got to the frigging terrible Christmas special. They say 'Doctor? Doctor Who?' about fifteen million times. KNOCK IT OFF, YOU ASSHOLE!

Honestly, I liked Blink. I liked Silence in the Library. I liked it a lot. I thought it was quite entertaining. But Steven Moffat must. Be. Killed.

A shame, because the new intro is totally pimpin'.

Comment

Working...
                                X