No announcement yet.

New Series of Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gah, that was awful. Christopher Ecclestone was probably the only good thing in it.

Billies' baps best come out next week or that's it.

Comment

I find it somehow refreshing. Every other sci-fi thing attempts to present its monsters in a way which is more realistic and more plausible than the last sci-fi thing.

Yet here's a sci-fi show which is unahsamedly nonsense. We're being told the London Eye is an alien trasmitter, a monster brain lives in the river thames, and aliens are trying to posses our wheely bins. They clearly don't give a crap if we think it's bull**** or not, and that's a kinda nice change

The show's enthusiasm is infectious

Comment

Personally I loved it, and enjoyed it from start to end.

It recaptured the Doctor Who feel well (been watching the old ones on and off all day on UK Gold), and Eccleston was great (as usual). Billie was a bit pants as Rose, but lets face it she's a damn site better than Bonnie Sodding Langford.

I loved the way it swang from cheese to straightlace and back again at the drop of a hat, almost as if saying "Hey look, Dr Who is back for the new millenia and its got a dark tone" and then "See, its still as retro as we could make it and you're still not meant to take it seriously".

The only scene that seemed odd to me was the one where Eccleston and Piper were walking around the housing estate chatting. He seemed to have this madcap 'hoe down' stride, and was acting as if he was taking the piss out of the scene. The performance just seemed `odd`.

The effects weren't that bad, considering its a Beeb production and not a Hollywood blockbuster. They did the job.

Watching it was especially strange for me (and no doubt other South Walians) as most it was filmed in and around Cardiff. The coffee shop outside the shopping arcade (Queen's Arcade) where Rose's mother is attacked by the Auton's does a mean cup of coffee if you're ever in the area

Can't wait till next week.

And yeah, Graham Norton should be given a kick up the arse. Nothing like his shrill voice to ruin a dramatic scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Concept
          I'll admit. Next week's episode does look better, from the short trailer.
          The next episode looks absolutely fascinating, judging by the trailer. I'll give the relative rubbishness of this weekend's episode because, hey, it's only hte first one.

Comment

I really liked and enjoyed it (And I'm not a fan of the series). Watched it from start to finish, with out changing channels once (not very offten that happens).

The effect were good enough for a Bristish TV series production, and script was rather good and funny.

I didn't think Docter Who would work in this day and age, but the BBC pulled it off. Well done it's one of the few things the BBC done right this past few years.

Comment

Sadly I missed this weeks episode, but have fond memories of watching it as a small child, back in the 70's during the Tom Baker era, will try and watch it next week, and am hoping they move the time forward slightly, after all when I was a kid it was on, straight after the football scores if I remember rightly.

Comment

Repeated tommorow at 7pm on BBC3 if you have it

Comment

Wasn't expecting anything, I enjoyed it, seems like decent saturday eve fodder.

If they can keep as high standard of production values throughout the series, good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101
                    Repeated tommorow at 7pm on BBC3 if you have it
                    Sadly no although I know someone who has, might be able to get them to record it for me.

Comment

I sort of liked it. It was a bit meh in places, but okay I guess. I also quite fancied Billie Piper in her sloppy jeans. And they kept having her thrusting her boobs about all over the place. Cool.

Although really there was barely any emotional tug when she decides to leave with the Doc.

I also thought some of the effects were quite funny. The lurching store dummies and the wobbling plastic bin seemed like in jokes about the crapness of previous Dr Who special effects.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                        The leaked episode is a rough cut from a while back, according to the BBC. You can't really compare the version Concept saw to the version Cassidy saw, for example...
                        Yes I damn well can, Pete, given that it was nigh-on identical! The only difference is that the 'rough cut' I saw used the ace original theme as far as I could tell while the proper broadcast used the dire, bombastic new version. Apart from that and Graham-bloody-Norton and co giggling away, nothing changed. Truly crap score, some dodgy acting, rubbish story, lame effects.

So (apart from the score) classic Who then! Think I'll pass on next weeks' - if anything it looked worse, like a bunch of scallies had raided the Farscape set or something.

Comment

How many chances do you get to see a manc shouting at a giant bowl of lava, whilst being manakin handled.... never.... that's what Doctor Who gives you and always has, I loved it.

Comment

I enjoyed it and, probably more importantly, my 11 year son loved it and is hooked already.

Comment

First thing's first. Never watched Dr Who before in my life, so this was a first for me.

Secondly, I agree wholeheartedly with Concept about the pacing and editing - it was way too fast and most scenes weren't allowed to 'breath' properly. The beginning was especially jarring, with Rose going through her mundane life at break-neck speed.

HOWEVER

I enjoyed it immensely. The story was verging on slapstick and some of the acting and dialogue were highly camp, yet it all worked pefectly. It failed to really capture any sense of anxiety, but it was exciting, funny and overall enjoyable. It definitely felt like they were trying to fit in all the introductions in the first episode and leave the rest of the series for the main storyline, so hopefully the pacing will relax later on.

Knowing it's been written by Russel T Davies is enough to make me watch the whole thing - anyone who's seen Queer as Folk will know he's clearly a Dr Who nut, so the series is basically 'made for fans, by fans'. I've already really liked the mannequin monsters and watching Eccleston on johnathan Ross on friday, I could see that even he was really into the whole thing and he constantly praised Davies' work.

the special effects were indeed very crap - I don't even think they were done like that to be camp - but I really, really enjoyed the episode. roll on next week!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitcher
                                I enjoyed it and, probably more importantly, my 11 year son loved it and is hooked already.
                                My four year old sister wasn't impressed. Our parents was worried that she'd be terrified by Who (I certainly was when I was that age), but she ended up falling asleep on my lap ten minutes before the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X