• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
    young girl at end river lady possibly ?

Good shout. I thought it might have been a young
    ?

Comment

A bit of a slow burner but quality writing from Moffat as always. LOL at the Easter Island gag.
      And Gillan is looking great

Comment

Corker of an opener, thoroughly gripped throughout!

Not looking forward to episode 6's cliffhanger though if this one was anything to go by.

Read a very unflattering column regarding the show in the times this morning by that fool A A Gill - Matt Smith being a terrible actor with no redeeming qualities, picking at the show's budget and finally moaning about how old **** like silent witness and other "more popular" (as he called it) drama series being canned.

The man needs to take a good, hard look at himself...

Comment

Was it just me or were there loads of clues dropped in the dialogue last night? I reckon the reason the Doctor knows River Song from her youth is because she is Amy's daughter. And the reason River ends up in jail is for killing the Doctor. So it is her in the astronaut outfit on the beach.
          Cracking opener to the season shame there is only seven episodes in this run.

Comment

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed that but I do wonder that I really shouldn't be its audience. My son (8) was completely baffled, even to the point of getting bored and not really being interested. Just having a monster for the kids and the rest of it for man-babies (sorry, adults) seems sort of wrong. The nerd brigade have already hi-jacked most genre tv and while there's always been that sort of fan for Dr.Who, the programme didn't really acknowledge them before. Now, it seems to be written just for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
              Well, I thoroughly enjoyed that but I do wonder that I really shouldn't be its audience. My son (8) was completely baffled, even to the point of getting bored and not really being interested. Just having a monster for the kids and the rest of it for man-babies (sorry, adults) seems sort of wrong. The nerd brigade have already hi-jacked most genre tv and while there's always been that sort of fan for Dr.Who, the programme didn't really acknowledge them before. Now, it seems to be written just for them.
              Don't really agree with that, Doctor Who is meant to be a family show first and a kid's show second. It gets boring when you have people like Russell T Davis writing for it, injecting stupid monsters that kids are going to laugh at rather than "hide behind the sofa" at. The Silence/Silent/Whateveryouwanttocallit is/are genuinely chilling, and if chilling means boring then I think it's time to tune into a different show - you aren't going to find your teletubbies here anymore!
              Last edited by Daragon; 24-04-2011, 13:43.

Comment

I think you're right. Chilling is good and Moffat's monsters aren't boring. I (and my son) don't have an issue with that but I do think that with story arcs and references that cover multiple seasons along with fast and quite complicated dialogue this is now far more of a 'fans' show than for kids (or even just parents who are waiting for the lotto results to come on). I guess you could argue that it's trying to work on multiple levels for both kids and adults but as far as an 8 year old (and I realise that's still quite young but my son's far from slow) just being able to follow the narrative thread it didn't cut it for me.

Oh and someone really should cut down on the terrible, overbearing soundtrack.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  Was it just me or were there loads of clues dropped in the dialogue last night? I reckon the reason the Doctor knows River Song from her youth is because she is Amy's daughter. And the reason River ends up in jail is for killing the Doctor. So it is her in the astronaut outfit on the beach.
                  Cracking opener to the season shame there is only seven episodes in this run.
                  Which is precisely the same possible theory that floated through my mind as well... there was a point made to Amy saying she was pregnant. Still doesn't mean we can figure out how the Doctor's "death" is resolved... yet...
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I don't believe at all that River is Amy's child or that The Doctor will ever know her as a kid as that's too much of a redux of Amy's storyline. In the cave River recoiled in pain holding her stomach so my guess is the aliens are inpregnating the women and by Part 2's end neither will be pregnant anymore. The Doctors death will no doubt be resolved via a temporal paradox get out clause caused by the TARDIS room The Silence has built. I'm hoping Moffat will stop using the voice recording/phone trick soon too as it's now a bit eye roll worthy when it crops up.

I can see how it could seem a little fan heavy but then the show is comfortable enough to know when to be full on and when to ease off for newb's. It's 48 years old now, no need for concern on that front

Comment

In bite sized news Moffat has expressed interest in having Captain Jack return, John Simms says he'd come back and James Corden WILL be back...

Mini trailer for the next ep with awesome epic music

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
                        Wil, you seem to be the only person in the universe that seems to have a problem with the episode. Literally, everywhere I've looked is full of praise (I think there's some random newspaper moaning about Smith's acting, but I think they're wrong).

I only say this because I completely agree with you!

Four of us watched it and it was hard work. My wife and I have seen all the Who episodes, so we know the history and even we struggled to keep up. Somebody else doesn't watch it and they were completely lost and the last person didn't get much from it either.

I will watch it again because I think it needs a repeat viewing, but I think my issue with it was that there was too much going on:

Amy's pregnant
                        The Doctor is dead
                        Who is the spaceman?
                        Who is the little girl?
                        Why is River in prison?
                        Who are the aliens?
                        "Don't try to outsmart me, don't ever think you're capable of that"
                        Will Nixon be redeemed?
                        Will the FBI agent be long-term?
                        Did they get to the moon?

Don't get me wrong, I like something worth chewing over, but I'm scared this'll do a Lost and pick up loads of plot threads but not have time to resolve all of them properly.

Comment

Number five in your list was already known and being debated last series...

Comment

How can she be pregnant anyway, isn't that guy a robot?

Comment

No, afaik with the temporal reboot, Rory is back to being human again... unless I'm mistaken.

Comment

The claims that it's hard to follow kind of puzzle me tbh. I was kind of glad to finally have a season opener which didn't pretend 95% of its audience weren't returning viewers. It just doesn't need that frequent a clean start. As for the things can be struck off immediately... why? Because it was part 1 of 2. In a few days we'll have our answers. It reminds me of when everyone kept saying Matrix was complex and hard to follow. Its not, it's really not

Comment

Working...
                                X