No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went over to the Rebellion Festival in Blackpool on Sunday ... the landscape looked like the lower east side circa '77

Saw Agnostic Front, The Slackers, Cro-Mags, 7 Seconds, and Bad Religion. Not seen some of these bands for 15+ years. Awesome line-up.

Comment

Went to see Muse at Wembley Stadium last night. On my brothers insistence we queued up early, getting there about 2am. Amazingly we were not the first ones there with about a dozen or so people in front of us. We also weren't the first queue let in but we were able to get to the front on the railings but the stage was so high we couldn't see an awful lot for a lot of the gig from our vantage point. But still it an amazing set and was definitely worth it. Playing songs like Bliss, Citizen Erazed, and MK ultra I was overwhelmed. They also put on quite a show with an opening protest march, a UFO and a moving platform.

The people in the queue were friendly and helped the day go quite smoothly, as was most of the security guys, one of which really seemed to be enjoying the music himself. At the front we saw a lot people being taken away with injuries, there seemed to be an endless stream of them from the moment Muse came on, one of which was someone we met in the queue. I imagine the other side of the stage where Matt mostly sang from was slightly rougher than our side.

Comment

I went to see Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan on Friday at the Barbican. Superb show with a lot of songs from Ballad of the Broken Seas, which is still my favourite album of theirs.

I've always known that this is Campbell's project as she writes most of the songs, but it became immediately apparent on stage. She pretty much directed everything and Lanegan was just their to deliver his nicotine and whiskey soaked barotone. He was still awesome though.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
          I went to see Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan on Friday at the Barbican. Superb show with a lot of songs from Ballad of the Broken Seas, which is still my favourite album of theirs.

I've always known that this is Campbell's project as she writes most of the songs, but it became immediately apparent on stage. She pretty much directed everything and Lanegan was just their to deliver his nicotine and whiskey soaked barotone. He was still awesome though.
          I saw Lanegan do a solo show in Leeds earlier this year, and he kills everything in sight with that voice of his.

Comment

Went to see Placebo at the Brixton Academy on both Monday and Tuesday night, returning to the venue where I first saw them play. Lots of people including my brother dressed as clowns to get invites to the after party which was amazing fun with all the new friends we made from queuing all day to see the band. (Didn't go overboard like we did to see Muse but clearly some people did.)

Annoyed at the 02 priority queuing system and even more annoyed on Tuesday after buying a new 02 phone that they apparently didn't even check the phones on Monday night.

Placebo were on top form both nights and the opeining acts were quite good too. The second day I was right on the barrier, though slightly to far to the right. They opened with the classic Nancy boy which I haven't heard them play in years. The whole set list was a good mix of classic and new songs with a new arrangement of Teenage Angst which was interesting.

The afterparty on Tuesday night was brilliant too with appearences fron Steff who DJ'd, Steve Forrest, Fiona Bruce and guys from one of the opening acts Evaline were there too. Didn't get home until near seven in the morning, constant ringing in my ears. The best couple of days I've had in a long time and my favourite Placebo concerts since probably the singles tour in 04?

Comment

Off to see Mudhoney this week, followed by The Black Keys at the end of October. Should be a good month!

Comment

Sounds like a couple of corking gigs for you, Concrete Donkey! No seen Place Bo for years! Last time I couldn't believe how bald Brian was.

I've got a few gigs lined up until Christmas. Dinosaur Pile-Up next week then a few gigs in December - The Sword, Orange Goblin and Skin. Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                  Off to see Mudhoney this week, followed by The Black Keys at the end of October. Should be a good month!
                  Really Mudhoney cool!

I want a t-shirt with "**** me I'm sick" on it, let us know what it's like Paul

Comment

Awesome, Mudhoney should be ace.

I'm off to see 65 Days of Static again this week. Haven't listened to the new album yet but hoping the CD arrives before then!

Comment

I'm off to see the Tallest Man on Earth again next month when he comes to sunny Leeds. Saw him in London in July, and he puts on quite a performance for just one man with an acoustic guitar. He reminded me of nothing so much as a rooster strutting about on the stage, with the audience just a couple of feet away, loving every minute of it. It was nothing like the videos of him I'd seen on youtube, where he's just sitting down. He didn't even have a chair! That was also the first gig I ever went to, and I bootlegged it onto minidisc for posterity

Comment

Originally posted by neil2k View Post
                        Really Mudhoney cool!

I want a t-shirt with "**** me I'm sick" on it, let us know what it's like Paul
                        In contrast to last year where they only played two shows in the UK, they're hitting a few more spots this time round. only two more, but still!

Buy tickets for Mudhoney concerts near you. See all upcoming 2024-25 tour dates, support acts, reviews and venue info.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                          In contrast to last year where they only played two shows in the UK, they're hitting a few more spots this time round. only two more, but still!

http://www.songkick.com/artists/239431-mudhoney
                          Cheers for that Paul, would love to go to the London gig this week but no holiday left

Enjoy though mate, great band.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            Sounds like a couple of corking gigs for you, Concrete Donkey! No seen Place Bo for years! Last time I couldn't believe how bald Brian was.
                            Yeah, the Placebo gigs were amazing and I haven't been able to stop thinking about them for very long and has really lifted my spirits which I really needed. It's their last UK appearance for two years apparently as they're going to work on a new album soon. One of the best things about the second night was all the friends I made in the queue and after party and now finally Facebook seems to have a use.

I met Steve Forrest, the drummer at another gig on Thursday, having gone and seen the support act Evaline (his former band) at the Camden Barfly. He confirmed that the Tuesday gig is being made into a DVD that should be released for Christmas.

Comment

Dinosaur Pile-Up were brilliant on Sunday!

The lead singer may as well be called Rivers Grohl as they really capture that Weezer, Foos and Nirvana vibe, without being carbon copies. He even recorded the album on his own like Dave Grohl did on the Foo's debut.

They've got some great tunes and the live band are great - solid drummer, engaging bassist and some tiiiight harmonies. The overall sound was great with the crunchy guitar really cutting through.

Comment

I just got tickets for Rob Zombie in Glasgow, Feb 2011! Still a while till the event, but I'm pretty hyped already.

Comment

Working...
                                X