A Scanner Darkly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anephric
    It's not really "surreal", though, is it? Certainly not to gamers, where cel-shading is fairly hackneyed. Auto Modellista does not a surreal game make...
    I should have mentioned that I meant Linklater's particular style of rotoscoping. I certainly would describe Waking Life as surreal and to me that style seems suited to a PKD story, I'm just not sure if this one was the right choice.

Comment

Originally posted by anephric
      *cough* Impostor. Or did you like that, chappee? Complete with stolen Starship Troopers clips and costumes.
      Was that the thing with Gary Sinise in it? If it was I didn't think it was *that* bad... or am I thinking of something else? Or am I! I just don't know...

Comment

Nope, that's the one. It's alright, in a glorified Outer Limits episode (which is pretty much what it was intended as) kinda way, but it's hardly great.

Comment

Got a bad review at Aint It Cool...

Comment

From someone who hated Waking Life. I liked Waking Life so I would imagine that would give me a different perspective.

Comment

even 'animated' it seems reeves can't act for toffee.

Comment

First 24 mins of the film are up on IGN if anyone fancies watching it...

Comment

Certainly up there with my fave PKD novels -- let's hope that they do this one justice.

Imposter had all the makings to be a superb film - they really ****ed it big time though - again a shame as it's one of his best short stories.

Comment

I think this is looking really good and interesting - I downloaded a decent sized trailer a few months back but since my Acer Laptop Hard drive died ( for the 2nd time in 3 months!) I can't find it again now

The music sounds top too so much so that I have ordered the OST from amazon.com. Just watching the first 24 mins now.

Comment

Anyone know when its out in Europe.

Comment

my local art house cinema has this down as the 18th of August

Comment

Just watched this movie and it is very very good. Will probably be one of those good movies that just pass by with no-one really watching it until it comes out on DVD. I have never read the novel before so I went in not knowing much about it apart from what you see in the trailers. The visual style (rotoscoping) really adds depth to it, I can't imagine seeing it in proper live action now. It is a very intelligent and thought provoking film and I would definatly reccomend that people go and watch it.

(I think at the moment it is only showing in certain cinemas so beware of that)

Comment

Was reading about this in Metro. Sounds really good. I might actually pay money to see it, which is a strange concept for me to grasp these days.

Comment

Very cool film, love the style, and the way objects and perspectives float around the scenes, giving the impression of how it might look through the eyes of someone permanently on Substance D. Worth watching just for the cool visuals.

Comment

I saw this today and really enjoyed it. I thought it could have done with a better setup simply because I spent half the movie waiting for answers to questions that really weren't all that important. Being a book adaptation may have meant certain elements were missed but it felt like there was a piece of the puzzle missing early on. I've never read the story so can't compare.

What was there was great though. Interesting characters (Robert Downey Jr was excellent) and interesting realisations.

Comment

Working...
                                X