No announcement yet.

A Scanner Darkly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my local cineworld is not showing it grrr, they also miss out on kiss kiss bang bang due to chav percentage in town

Comment

Being honest, while the film looks lovely it probably won't lose much on dvd. As it was out in the US ages ago, it can't be that long before it's out on dvd.

Comment

The HD trailer on Live was mesmerising for this. I think it'd be one of the few films (imo) to really benefit from a leap to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Comment

Saw this last night (had to travel to Cineworld on Broad Street in Brum but well worth it - v nice cinema) and it didn't disappoint - it looked amazing and was backed up with a good story and script.

Without the rotoscoping effect it may not have been as good in the whole but I couldn't imagine it without it to be honest. If it's on near you go check it out.

Nice use of Black Swan by Thom Yorke over the closing credits too
          Last edited by mementoman; 28-08-2006, 16:30.

Comment

I saw this week ago and it was great. For three quarters, and probably also due to the fact I hadn't slept for 24 hours previously, it really did fee very close to a complete mind trip. It does fall apart in the last few minutes though.

The film certainly has an odd, everything's-falling-apart atmosphere that's different from the norm of that usual Lynch-typified style. The cloesest I can come to describing it is listening to sounds when you're on the verge of sleeping and how they converge and begin to mutate into one another quietly.

I suppose that's why

the logical summarisation at the end didn't really fit.

Anyway... certainly much better than the somewhat tepid reviews made it out to be.

Comment

What was wrong with the ending?

It's no different to any P.K.Dick book...

Comment

Ending spoilers:

It kind of brought the ride in to a neat synopsis which I didn't like. Just because it's close to the book doesn't mean it couldn't have been adapted better for the screen.

I just personally thought the ending was too smooth, and coupled with that, unsatisfying (and I don't mean in the 'Keanu's character should have been given a resolution' way).

Comment

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, the caf? scene was unexpected in its clarity, but it still didn't answer everything -- after the film I needed to explain a few things to friends, yet there was still enough open for them to come to their own final conclusions. I thought it was a good mix.

Comment

It's a good film. Like I said, I thought in terms of capturing a head-trip it was fantastic

(the scene on the lawn where everyone starts descending into gibberish talk really stuck in my head).

Without the

small explanation

the end probably would have sat better.

Comment

My local cinema simply isn't showing the film. God bless torrents, eh.

Comment

Its a great movie .

lol the whole front garden scene where they start to fight and then talk gibberish was great also the bike scene was brilliant as well

Comment

Watching this movie was as dull and painful as being sober around real people when they're smashed on something. It's only funny if you're smashed too.

The whole thing was like a cheap imitation of the Fear and Loathing movie. The rotoscoping made me feel ill as well, I didn't like the way the edges were sort of creeping around all the time. I suppose that's the intended effect but I didn't enjoy it much (for much the same reason I don't like drugs or booze, really).

Comment

I pretty much got that feeling. I watched when I hadn't slept for 24+ hours so it clicked - as for the effect it induced in being out of it - that's one of the unique points of the film imo. Had more of an impact than the last few films I've seen at the cinema put together.

Comment

I'm surprised to see so many folk prasing this film, went to see this a few weeks back and bar the great look of the film, it was dire and really dragged on, too much meaningless dialogue and really lacking a decent plot if you asked me.

Still worth seeing for the style, but maybe they should have spent a bit more time on the script.

Comment

I liked the meaningless dialog! Not enough of that in films...

Comment

Working...
                                X