No announcement yet.

A Scanner Darkly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has got a really limited cinema release, i had to travel to the light in leeds to see this and im glad i did as its a very inteligent film.

I liked the fact that it wasent all cut and dry and that you dident quite know what was going on at first, this made it all the more satisfiying when it did all drop into place, and i think it still would of been good without the film effect, as the dialog and acting were superb.

For those complaining about the lack of direction, well there is plenty of run of the mill cut and dry films out there to see at the moment, why not settle down with my Super Ex Girlfreind or something more middle of the road eh
    Last edited by Lebowski; 06-09-2006, 09:18.

Comment

Heh, seen My Super Ex-Girlfriend as well (bit of a movie buff...), wasn't upto much...

Comment

Noticed this was in HMV for £8 on DVD so impulse purchased it - I had been waiting for the HD-DVD release after repeatedly watching the Live360 trailer but £8 yo!

The best thing for me where the undercover suits the police wear. The really vibrant colours and bizarre styles seemed cartoon-ish and comical yet the fact that you have no idea who is hidden underneath was just proper spooky and dark at times. Also the way the costumes seemed to reflect the tone of what the person is saying was interesting, kind of like the suit reacting to convey meaning in the way facial gestures show a persons mood (although I may need to watch it again and check I saw what I thought I saw).

Also loved Robert Downey Jr in this, his expressions and gestures really brought the screen to life and he does crazy very well.

Its strange that such an anti-drug movie is begging you to watch it off your face though, if I was at Uni this would be THE film to get wasted and watch - I hope the kids are digging it! Only problem I had with the end was the film didn't convey how comatose the main character was meant to be and I put this down partly to Keanu and partly to the painted style of the film.

I think it would have been far more powerful an ending if the hope that's there with the plucked flower didn't seem as real a possibility for change as it does (at least to me). Much better for him to think he can still make a difference (somewhere in his destroyed brain) but the audience be shown the incredibly overwhelming odds against such a resolution - beautifully portrayed by the mountains of green (with their hidden blue blooming below).

That aside though I really like it and will no doubt invest when the HD version comes out >_<
        Last edited by spagmasterswift; 04-04-2007, 11:53.

Comment

My brother just got a review copy of this, it's a really interesting looking film. Looks kinda like XIII (the game). Need to fully watch it later.

Great LCD TV response time test too

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
            Its strange that such an anti-drug movie..
            I'm not sure it is an anti-drug movie though... or more precisely, I don't think the book was anti-drug when he wrote it. Maybe we've been conditioned to see it that way now?

Comment

Really? A story about a guy who is used to infiltrate and bring evidence against a drug organisation who sustains brain damage in the process. Surely that's not a pro-drug film? I see it more in line with Trainspotting, showing the negative effects of drug addiction and abuse. The list of Dick's friends and even Dick himself at the end of the movie kind of says 'Drugs are bad, emkay' to me - but interested to hear your thoughts on it Nijo!

Comment

No it's not pro-drug. Can it be neither? I think Dick felt that while drugs could have bad effects, as portrayed, it should be up to the individual to make the choice. Perhaps anti-regulation? After all, the film shows that the police unit needed the addicts - indeed, sustained them - in order to exist. A mix between Trainspotting and 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by Nijo View Post
                  No it's not pro-drug. Can it be neither?
                  Certainly!

Originally posted by Nijo View Post
                  I think Dick felt that while drugs could have bad effects, as portrayed, it should be up to the individual to make the choice. Perhaps anti-regulation? After all, the film shows that the police unit needed the addicts - indeed, sustained them - in order to exist. A mix between Trainspotting and 1984.
                  No doubt without the drugs Dick was taking at the time of writing he wouldn't have come up with some of the stories he is best know for, but I'm no 'Dickhead' so can't speak with much authority on such things.

Comment

just watched this and its not very good, looks lush but just a poor movie

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                      just watched this and its not very good, looks lush but just a poor movie
                      Just watched it on Film 4 and felt cheated by the ending. Bit turd, only highlight maybe Woody & Downy's performances.

Comment

Working...
                      X