No announcement yet.

Grindhouse - Tarantino and Rodriguez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed Planet Terror. Its probably been said already in this thread, but for me it harked back to eighties splatter movie classics like Re-animator and From Beyond. Even bordering on Peter Jacksons early movies. Not as good as those though imo. It even has a touch of the Garth Marenghis about it aswell
    Last edited by AdamJW; 04-10-2007, 13:39.

Comment

Meh after watching Deathproof and loving it (thought it was going to be dire) finally got my Planet Terror delivered and thought it was an utter bag of crap.

Was the one I was waiting for, Im a horror junkie child of the 70s/80s being forced to watch video nasties by my uncle (I watched Holocost and The Burning when I was 6 as my first offerings hehe). I thought it had promise and was going to be done in some sort of Re-animator style but everything for me was so bloody forced with them intentionally trying to make the acting bad and the effects etc.. it just for me turned into a really boring film. I was execting Dawn of the dead greatness or at least his own From Dusk Till Dawn and what I got was a yawn fest.

Comment

Watched The whole hog last night one after the other, was great fun! Planet Terror was really cool, didnt know what to expect with it but I loved it! Totally different to Death Proof and they compliment each other well as a double showing.

Great stuff!

Comment

I am in fact dissapointed with Tarantino with his latest stuff, I guess his time has passed, nothing will beat his pulp fiction

Comment

Originally posted by kargo View Post
            I am in fact dissapointed with Tarantino with his latest stuff, I guess his time has passed, nothing will beat his pulp fiction
            You heard it here first folks!

The world of film is very subjective and what can be one man's Moet Chandon could be another man's White Lightning. Personally, I loved Death Proof (and the Kill Bill films), and will look forward to his next offerings. I won't be writing him off just yet.
            Last edited by funkydan; 10-10-2007, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by kargo View Post
              Gotta agree but to be fair Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece of cinema and it'd be hard to replicate that.

Comment

Sorry, I'd emphasized too much text in the quote I used in my previous post - now updated. I also don't think he can top Pulp Fiction but I certainly don't think that his time has passed!

Comment

Do you think he is even interested in making a mainstream film like Pulp Fiction again tho?

Comment

Pulp Fiction wasn't really mainstream though - it just became popular, which sort of ushered it into the mainstream.

Comment

I'm a fan of all Tarantino's work. Thought Reservoir Dogs was an awesome debut, and Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown blow me away every time.

While these earlier films still pay homage to other films in many ways, I think they do it in a smarter and more subtle way than his recent films have. Kill Bill and Death Proof brilliantly recreate the atmospheres of the films/genres/eras he loves, but lack the substance which made his earlier films so satisfying and complete.

Comment

I'm loving Planet Terror at the moment, much moreso than Death Proof.

Comment

Tarantino retreated into a lowbrow crowdpleasing mindset after Jackie Brown went down like a lead balloon, which is a shame as I think it's his best film by a cosmic mile. I'd rather see that slightly more mature style than the self-indulgent, utterly fanboyish Kill Bill, Death proofs etc of his recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                            Watched The whole hog last night one after the other, was great fun! Planet Terror was really cool, didnt know what to expect with it but I loved it! Totally different to Death Proof and they compliment each other well as a double showing.

Great stuff!

They really do only shine as a double feature. They weren't made to be seen separately and I think, anyway, it shows.

An indie theatre here had a nice thing going where they brought back Grindhouse for a week and for only $2 admission. Awesome stuff, was great seeing it again.

I refuse to buy them separately. They just don't work that way. To me, anyways.

Comment

I've finally managed to sit down and watch these now and I'm soooo glad I decided to do it back to back.

Neither film is particularly strong on its own but as a package they work really well and are entertaining. Although I do think that if I'd paid money to go and see just Death Proof in the cinema (as they split it for release here), I'd be really pissed off.

It's a bit of a throw away non-entity really, particularly after `that` bit in the middle where it then all seems to fall apart in spectacular fashion.

Even more so by giving Zoe Bell a speaking roll - great stunt woman she may be but she really, really can't act to save her life.

Nice end sequence but by the end of it I really did feel like I was watching Tarantino's attempt to outdo Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

And Planet Terror felt like a more star studded version of Slither (albeit a lot better, but that film beat it to the punch a while back).

Like I said, great as a combo but rubbish as one shot films.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
                                I've finally managed to sit down and watch these now and I'm soooo glad I decided to do it back to back.

Neither film is particularly strong on its own but as a package they work really well and are entertaining. Although I do think that if I'd paid money to go and see just Death Proof in the cinema (as they split it for release here), I'd be really pissed off.
                                if you've seen the original release with both movies back to back, its still a different experience

both movies are 30 mins shorter for a start and in the middle there is about 5 fake trailers and adverts, which i absolutely loved especially wolf girls of the SS (Even Empire magazine asked where they were)

But in one of the featurettes on Planet Terror, Rodriguez mentions that there will be a 10 minute featurette on the best BBQ sauce in Texas on the Grindhouse double feature DVD, so hopefully it will be released eventually or it could have been a tongue in cheek comment

For me Planet Terror was the superior movie out of the 2 and still holds up on its own

i've bought both on dvd and i will buy the double feature as well, if its released

Comment

Working...
                                X