No announcement yet.

Grindhouse - Tarantino and Rodriguez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched both of these recently as a double-bill. I loved Planet Terror but thought Death Proof was very, very poor indeed. I don't care if it's meant to be 'so bad it's good' or tongue-in-cheek bad or whatever; Planet Terror accomplished that beautifully, but Death Proof was just useless. Boring, badly paced, badly written, and bizarrely centric on women talking for hours about sex. If I wanted that I'd read ****ing Cosmopolitan.

Comment

I still think Planet Terror was the more fun and enjoyable movie, but I can't see it getting any amazing reviews because while its great entertainment, its not exactly high-brow stuff. I do think Death Proof obviously suffers from being longer than originally planned. But I do get annoyed when QT fans defend the movie by saying that critics obviously just don't "get" QT or what he was trying to do with the movie. He seems to be one of those directors who elicits an almost fanboy following who will defend everything he does and not acknowledge any point of view other than him being a genius.

I really want to see the double bill as it was originally intended though.

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
        if you've seen the original release with both movies back to back, its still a different experience

both movies are 30 mins shorter for a start and in the middle there is about 5 fake trailers and adverts, which i absolutely loved especially wolf girls of the SS (Even Empire magazine asked where they were)
        I'd purposely not watched them as I was waiting to see them fresh but since they weren't on the DVD I tracked them down on Youtube.

It's a shame they weren't on the releases as they were all really well done and seemed like they would have added to the overall thing (which is obviously why they did them).

But they're just another casualty of QT / RR and the Weinsteins feeling the need to butcher their own creations. There's no way I'll be buying Grindhouse a second time as a set to get them or see the films how the should have been seen in the first place (a trick that was lost on me when they tried it with Kill Bill 1 and 2).

But I'm told that the original version of Death Proof didn't have this bit in it and since I have a massive thang for Vanessa Ferlito then the extended DVD is full of win
        Last edited by Spatial; 27-10-2007, 16:53.

Comment

Machete is being made into a film :P

Watched Planet Terror over the weekend, easily the best of the two. Looking forward to machete though !

Comment

Saw Death Proof yesterday and enjoyed it, to be fair i really wanted to enjoy it though, so i did. Can absoulutly see why a lot of people hate it though. Its not often im rooting for the killer in a film but i couldnt wait for Mike to get killing in this one, and upon his arrival things certainly pick up, shame about the rest. As someone above said, sex and city with car chases. Worth a watch for sure.

Comment

Was going to get Death Proof on DVD the other day but I've decided to wait for this baby:

Lovely.

Comment

Awesome! I'm assuming it will have original English audio yes?

I'm so buying it, need to hunt a source for it now though. And I already have the two films on DVD anyway.

Comment

I just ordered this from Amazon.jp! I'm feeling slightly excited and slightly stupid considering I have them both already and it came to a total of 10,000 Yen shipped! (£50)!

Comment

Woah, Amazon Japan will ship to the UK? I didn't think the overseas Amazon sites did that. Or is that only with games? And I imagine I'll be looked down on for this but what region are Japanese DVDs? I've been holding out for a full length Grindhouse set for ages and this could be awesome.

Comment

Yeah, Amazon.jp will ship to Europe, although you used to be able to do cheapass shipping with them - now you have to go premium. Japanese DVDs are Region 2, same as the UK, so you don't need a multiregion-enabled player. There'll be a customs whack on top of that price too, once it gets here - about £15 or so.

CDJapan are also pretty good for Japanese DVDs. Although anyone that spends that much on Grindhouse has far too much spare cash
                      Last edited by anephric; 28-02-2008, 04:35.

Comment

just ordered this from Play-asia for $93 which is around £46 (inc $5 voucher)

Grindhouse at play-asia

and you wont get stung for any duty (crossed fingers)

but with Amazon.jp you will get stung

surprisingly it went to preparing order immediately

wee bit more expensive at yesasia
                        Last edited by buster_broon; 28-02-2008, 00:30.

Comment

Hmm I've been stung from Play Asia before I'm sure. No worries, I've ordered it now! As long as I get it I'll be happy as I dont imagine they'll be alot of copies!

Comment

I only like the first half of Death Proof, and I haven't yet seen Planet Terror, but that box-set is incredibly tempting.

Comment

Excellent. Pre-order GET! Cheers for the info, guys. Weird how this is only getting a Japanese release but at least it actually exists somewhere in the world.

Comment

It might well get released somewhere else - Grindhouse (double feature) is going on limited release theatrically in the UK. I'd be amazed if it didn't make it to DVD outside of an overpriced JPN limited edition set.

Comment

Working...
                                X