MCD 2024: Box Office Bingo III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    It's an interesting dynamic these days though. What place does a critic have if their opinion has no bearing on the audience it's intended for anymore, and what makes a critic?
    Well there's no right answer here at all and I guess part of this question is about why one would want to read or hear the words of a critic at all. For me, I would hope that a critic isn't just saying "this movie rocks" or "this movie sucks" but that the critic actually has a bit more film knowledge than I do and can bring more context and learning to it.

Same as a food critic. I don't know a damn thing about culinary skills, I just don't have that knowledge. And I don't like fancy food. It's not my thing. So it would be rare that a food critic reflects my tastes. Do I think food critics should be handing out michelin stars to salt and vinegar crisps? I'd do it but, no, I don't think they should.

I expect more from a critic than I could bring myself.

But for me, that's a reflection of the times - that everyone with an opinion thinks that's all there is to it and the internet should amplify their uninformed opinion. For film, for example, I love Double Impact. Never expected it to pick up an Oscar. I do, however, love that I can find like-minded people who will do a deep dive into the merits of Van Damme but I don't expect a film critic to hail it as a classic unless they spot something special in it across the wider context of film. And that's okay. It's not a problem. I don't need my opinions validated by a critic.

Comment

Not that I'm competitive, but I don't think Lebowski should win the Dune round just by having the least worst guess.
      He's still wrong by $100m dollars!

Comment

Let's go on a tangent thanks to my job I've had the opportunity to eat in Michelin Star​ restaurants in Italy, but best meal I had while there was in a small family run pizzeria, the atmosphere was a lot more lively, you had the family's kids doing homework on a table in the corner and the food was authentic and amazing, I'd say it was the best pizza I'd ever had. Both these places were rated as amazing places to eat and for very different reasons, saying they were both excellent didn't take away from each other. because they were excellent for very different reasons. My point being is at present where only reviewing films using a very narrow standard that akin to a Michelin Star​ ranking.
        Last edited by Lebowski; 27-03-2024, 09:51.

Comment

I don't know if that's true, given the amount of films that have wildly varying reviews. They're not all being judged for the same things or on the same criteria. Nor should they be. You can find favourite critics and indeed probably should rather than going to aggregators which lump everything together in a way that rarely reflects reality. Rotten Tomatoes in particular is a horrible metric and often doesn't even reflect the true feelings of critics.

Regardless of whether we agree or disagree on the role of critics, it's possible the problem here may well not be the critics but the systems which people are accessing that information.

Comment

It's why I largely ignore them. I'm sure I could find a critic Iike but at that point I'm seeking out one for the sake of confirmation bias. A knowledgeable critic might use their knowledge to critique a film in the same way an art critic reviews a new work or a food critic evaluates a new restaurant but then it feels like those critics no longer need to be commonly reported on when they slate a new release that isn't driven for their attention. If I went to a high end Parisian restaurant a critics views might be something to consider, but I wouldn't need to see their take reported on for Burger King. Likewise, many sites and outlets are quick to report on poor reviews from movie critics at every turn but it often feels like it's simply damaging to the industry to do so. Films like Godzilla x Kong aren't made with that mindset at heart. No films showcase it perhaps more than the Transformers films, carving a deep divide between the reviews and the level of success they enjoyed. It's similar to how many argue the Oscars are irrelevant now, zoning in on films most care little for.

It won't change which isn't a huge deal but, as with many things, a re-embracing of the middle ground would do a world of wonders. It should be more acceptable for something to just be fun or enjoyable without a deep dive teardown needing to be attached to it.

Comment

It's similar to how many argue the Oscars are irrelevant now, zoning in on films most care little for.
              This isn't new. Out of Africa? It has never looked to reward the crowd-pleasers.

I can't remotely comment on the new Ghostbusters film but it has to be said that a film that is enjoyable is not always the same as a film that can be said is good. Again, for me, that's Double Impact. It's not Oscar-worthy. Will I watch it a couple of times a year? Damn right I will.

Success has never equalled quality. And really, I don't think it's a good thing if we start thinking it must. Then we'll be living in a world where N-Dubz were musical geniuses and the pinnacle of television is Celebrity Big Brother.

Comment

It's not new though like particularly online critics it also reflects the awkward relationship between audience and critics where said critics are still dependent on courting popular opinion, like how often the Oscars has tied itself up on knots about its viewing figures. The most critical thing here though... is that JCVD should have an Oscar.

Comment

JCVD should have an Oscar.
                  Finally someone had the guts to say it.

Comment

ROUND ONE - MIGRATION
                    $301m - Wheela
                    $292m - Current Global Earnings
                    $290m - Quality Chimp​
                    $260m - Neon Ignition
                    $170m - Lebowski
                    $110m - Beecee
                    ​​
                    Another $3m added this week sees the film move past QC's bid for the point but still within his grasp

ROUND FOUR - GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE
                    $375m - Beecee
                    $301m - Wheela​
                    $240m - Lebowski
                    $201m - Quality Chimp​
                    $160m - Neon Ignition
                    $108m - Current Global Earnings

Week two sees box office competition slow the ghost hunt down, it breaks into the triple digit mills though. The figure is below Afterlife's second week tally but only by $7m.

ROUND FIVE - GODZILLA X KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE
                    $600m - Lebowski
                    $330m - Neon Ignition
                    $301m - Wheela
                    $285m - Beecee
                    $200m - Quality Chimp
                    $194m - Current Global Earnings

​The latest entry opens almost on par with QC's guess leaving the biggest question being how front loaded will the film end up being?

Comment

ROUND ONE - MIGRATION
                      $301m - Wheela
                      $290m - Quality Chimp​
                      $260m - Neon Ignition
                      $170m - Lebowski
                      $110m - Beecee
                      ​​
                      No move recorded this week for the film which, honestly, seems unlikely so we'll keep it rolling another week to see if numbers are updated before a final call is made.

$375m - Beecee
                      $301m - Wheela​
                      $240m - Lebowski
                      $201m - Quality Chimp​
                      $160m - Neon Ignition
                      $138m - Current Global Earnings

Week three and the film makes the same this week as Afterlife did in its third week. With its current pacing it looks set to become a long term question of whether that pacing continues to take the film to a similar closing amount.

$600m - Lebowski
                      $361m - Current Global Earnings
                      $330m - Neon Ignition
                      $301m - Wheela
                      $285m - Beecee
                      $200m - Quality Chimp

​The second week sees the film king of swing its way above most guesses and lands it on track to score an early round close.

Comment

Yeah, I was surprised to hear how well GxK:TNE was doing at the box office, especially after the lacklustre GvK.

It's already made its money back after 2 weeks and remained at the top slot.

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire America's favorite couple used the power of their love to stay at #1 this weekend as Warners and Legendary's Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire took in an estimated $31.7 million domestically on 3948 screens, with an $8029 per screen average. That's a -60% drop from the previous over-performing

"Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire
                        America’s favorite couple used the power of their love to stay at #1 this weekend as Warners and Legendary’s Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire took in an estimated $31.7 million domestically on 3948 screens, with an $8029 per screen average. That’s a -60% drop from the previous over-performing weekend, with domestic cume now at $135,038,000 million. The film broke several MonsterVerse milestones by officially surpassing domestic performances of previous entries Godzilla vs. Kong ($100,916,094 million) and Godzilla: King of the Monsters ($110,500,138 million).

Let’s compare that percentage drop to the second weekend of previous entries:

Godzilla (2014) – $30,946,416 million (-67% drop)
                        Kong: Skull Island (2017) – $27,832,142 million (-54% drop)
                        Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) – $15,450,407 million (-68% drop)
                        Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) – $13,880,000 million (-57% drop)
                        Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire (2024) – $31.7 million (-60% drop)
                        It’s about on-par with the last Adam Wingard-helmed film, and holding better than the first two American Godzilla entries. Now the biggest question seems to be can New Empire hold steady enough to surpass 2014’s Godzilla ($200M) to become the top domestic earner in the MonsterVerse?

Internationally Godzilla X Kong stomped out an estimated $59.3M on 50,730 screens in 69 international markets for a $226 million international take and $361.1 million globally through Sunday. An estimated $9.7M of that worldwide number came from IMAX, with the overall IMAX cume for the picture now at $34M. It was the #1 title throughout Asia, with another 9 markets yet to open including Middle East and Japan in the coming weeks, meaning it has a shot at surpassing the 2014 Godzilla‘s $529 million global haul."​

Comment

I just had a check and there isn't a heavy promoted release until 03 May when The Fall Guy releases so it seems it will have a very clear run at taking that title

Comment

ROUND ONE - MIGRATION
                            $301m - Wheela
                            $290m - Quality Chimp​
                            $260m - Neon Ignition
                            $170m - Lebowski
                            $110m - Beecee
                            ​​
                            Another week and the films total fails to move again meaning its earning life has now come to an end and by an unusually narrow margin the competiton ends - WINNER: QUALITY CHIMP

$375m - Beecee
                            $301m - Wheela​
                            $240m - Lebowski
                            $201m - Quality Chimp​
                            $160m - Neon Ignition
                            $159m - Current Global Earnings

Fourth week puts us around a third of the time it took Afterlife to reach its final tally and the film continues to mirror that path. The films jump puts it almost on par with my own guess meaning the current question will lie around whether it can maintain that synchronicity with its predecessor to tip another point QC's way.

$600m - Lebowski
                            $436m - Current Global Earnings
                            $330m - Neon Ignition
                            $301m - Wheela
                            $285m - Beecee
                            $200m - Quality Chimp

​Third week and the film king of swings its way further up in earnings. The earnings remain so strong for this entry that the point might feasibly be sealed next week.

The OP summary has also been updated at last as we log the first round cancellation of 2024 - Round 08 for Ballerina is now a lost point as the film sees a delay into 2025 making the other points all the more critical​

Comment

$375m - Beecee
                              $301m - Wheela​
                              $240m - Lebowski
                              $201m - Quality Chimp​
                              $176m - Current Global Earnings
                              $160m - Neon Ignition

This week sees the film move up the ranks at last and also sees it overtake Afterlifes earnings at this point in its life as well. It's another fortnight till we have a comparison as to how its holding up on the previous film and so have some indicator on whether we'll see a fifth entry but by the end of this week we should see the points scale tip yet again in QC's favour.

$600m - Lebowski
                              ​$485m - Current Global Earnings​
                              $330m - Neon Ignition
                              $301m - Wheela
                              $285m - Beecee
                              $200m - Quality Chimp

Fourth week and the earnings see the film atomic blast its way out of my guesses reach and into Lewbowski's territory. With that being the highest guess the round is closed - WINNER: Lebowski

Comment

It's neck and neck with our wild speculations, Lebowski!

Comment

Working...
                                X