No announcement yet.

The Wire - US Cop/Gangster Show!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have watched the Wire all the way through three times now, and each time it seems to get better. I love turning people on to it, and managed to snare three new recruits this week. Was encouraging to see that 600,000 people tuned in to BBC2 the other night. The Wire ruined television for ever for me.

Comment

Finally watched the first episode of this last night after having had series 1 sat on my shelf for about 8 weeks now.

Was hooked straight away...I've heard a few people say it was a slow burner & takes a few episodes to get into but I just seemed to click with it straight away.

Characters came across brilliantly, the Narc division when they had their banter while typing up the first bust made me laugh.

The so called "bad guys" & their dealing in the lowers was so well played & the characters believeable.

Just everything feels right about the show.

I started watching it too late last night to get the second episode in but I have some time tonight so might plow through the next 2 episodes & get disc 1 out of the way.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
        The Wire ruined television for ever for me.
        Just watch Corrie for a few months and TV will be saved again!

Comment

Watched five episodes of this and just cannot get in to it. Going to pass it up.

Seems like 50% of the new American shows this year are Cop drama's, annoying if they don't normally do much for you.

Thought "The Unusuals" which started this week was OK though.

Comment

am watching this thru on bbc2 for the second time and somehow its just as good as the first time. I can still devour 4 eps in one evening (last night) and am really appreciating the detail and thought that went into the storylines.

it does ruin you for other stuff as for me only the Sopranos came close, I've had to kill a couple of things on my sky plus as realise how poor they are in comparison (The Mentalist for one).

Comment

I saw a few episodes last week on BBC2. I was really interested in it after the first ten minutes or so and ended up buying series 1 on saturday.

I don't watch hardly any TV series' but The Wire is brilliant. Love the characters, story, cop investigation etc. I've only watched up to episode 5 so far but was wondering if the whole 5 series' are just as good as the first? I know each focuses on a different aspect of criminals (I think) such as them being at a school in the 3rd series. But if they are all good then I may save up for the £100 box set; or do you recommend buying only a few of them?

Comment

They're showing all five series back to back on BBC2 over the next few months, so just watch them all there

Comment

Yeah but I wont be able to everynight, and besides, I still would like to own them on DVD to watch whenever I want.

Toy, Do you think they're all as good as the first; or get better even?

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                    I saw a few episodes last week on BBC2. I was really interested in it after the first ten minutes or so and ended up buying series 1 on saturday.

I don't watch hardly any TV series' but The Wire is brilliant. Love the characters, story, cop investigation etc. I've only watched up to episode 5 so far but was wondering if the whole 5 series' are just as good as the first? I know each focuses on a different aspect of criminals (I think) such as them being at a school in the 3rd series. But if they are all good then I may save up for the ?100 box set; or do you recommend buying only a few of them?
                    series 1-4 are peerless, series 5 deals with media and does take for some a fairly unbelievable turn in one storyline that marks the last series out as maybe not as great as 1-4 (its still mostly damn good though)

Comment

Cheers for the recommendation. I may be shifting out the money for them all after I finish Series 1.

Has there been any mention of another series, or is it most likely over for The Wire?

Comment

the Wire is over for good. I found the Wire teams next project Generation Kill brilliant as well, totally different setting but showed many of the same touches, impenetrable language at first (lots of army slang) and the need to follow the story from one ep to the other.

I was reading on the Wire loving Guardian the next from David Simon & HBO is set in the New Orleans music scene post Katrina starring no other than the 'Bunk' himself.

Comment

I wasn't that enamoured with Gen Kill but the new one (Treme) looks interesting. The fact that Clarke Peters, Wendell Pierce and Khandi Alexander (aka Fran Boyd from The Corner) is in it makes it even more exciting for a Wire/Simon freak like myself.

Comment

I'm about to watch the last ep of S5 after watching the whole season over the past few nights, struggling to think of how they can wrap it up in a way i can be happy with -

i suspect its gonna end in the whole investigation into marlo being blown to shreds leaving him to carry on with business as usual, mcnulty and freamon in cuffs

so many things have happened that reinforce how good this is but you didn't expect or want to happen

i was even upset to see omar get taken out, and prop joe for that matter, was sad to see the end of mike's story, but happy to see bubbles finally get his grief off his chest and appear to move on

anyway, still this last episode to go, lets see what surprises will be thrown at me if any, and i've gotta say, my all time favourite was The Sopranos, this might just have topped that overall!

Comment

Just started watching the Wire all over again for, like, the fourth time now overall. Astonishingly it still holds my interest 100% even though I know what is going to happen. It is funny how loads of people I know are johnny come lately with it as it is on BBC2. Nice to talk to more people about it though.

Comment

I recently just finished the whole lot (for the first time) and I'm already hankering for more.

Since then I've watched The Corner and Generation Kill and although they were both great, neither really got me as hooked as I got on The Wire.

Have you guys got any suggestions for similar shows?

Comment

Working...
                                X